Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: K-Frame Load/Sight Regulation

K-Frame Load/Sight Regulation

Does anyone know what load the factory uses to regulate the sight on fixed sight k-frames (model 64)?
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Does anyone know what load the factory uses to regulate the sight on fixed sight k-frames (model 64)?
    I believe all the Model 10's and 64's were zeroed for 158 grain standard pressure loads. Exactly what the factory used to test though I couldn't say.

Site Supporter
    My M10s shoot to POA with 158s, my M13 did too...so does my M681 for that matter.

Site Supporter
    All my K Smiths, from 1949 to the late ‘80s, shoot to POA with 158 grain ammo.

148 WCs to 158+P shoot to POA in all my fixed sight K frames.

OP: As others have stated, long-held consensus is 158 grain...something. If the exact load -- pill, powder, pressure, etc. -- is commonly known, I'm not aware of it. Too, this is info from the past and I'm not sure anyone knows if it holds true to today's S&W's and how (and if) S&W test fires them for accuracy.

Also, for those reporting POA/POI, what are your distances?
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Thanks everyone, I going to order this, Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Ammo
    158 gr. Soft Lead SWC-HC (850 fps/M.E. 253 ft. lbs.) https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=110 from Buffalobore.
    I'll see how this pans out.
    Any other suggestions are welcome.

Trying to explain to my wife why the 130 gr. HST's hit low, and how to adjust her aim point with my 3" K Frame is edging me towards day drinking as my work at home activity.

A round that will be really close to POA/POI will just simplify things.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Thanks everyone, I going to order this, Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Ammo
    158 gr. Soft Lead SWC-HC (850 fps/M.E. 253 ft. lbs.) https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=110 from Buffalobore.

Trying to explain to my wife why the 130 gr. HST's hit low, and how to adjust her aim point with my 3" K Frame is edging me towards day drinking as my work at home activity.

A round that will be really close to POA/POI will just simplify things.
    I have found that finding a load that poa = poi is the easiest thing for me as well.

Buffalo bore isn’t cheap, but it is very accurate, IME. That particular load slots somewhere in between the old standard pressure 158 offerings and the slightly less old "FBI" +P loads—which is to say, it will likely be perfect, from a POA/POI viewpoint.

The only fixed-sight .38/.357 S&W no-lock revolvers I’ve owned—which is a bunch—that didn’t regulate for 158 grains were the Brinks contract "NY-1 spec" model 64s. Annoyingly, they're set for much lighter loads, eg. 110 grains. Beyond that, what everyone else has said.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

The FBI load -- excellent choice and in the standard pressure variety Buffalo Bore offers hits the numbers that the old +P versions from Winchester, Federal and Remington used to; in other words, you can expect good performance from it out of your K-frame. If you ever try their +P version of same, be prepared that it's a thumper on the order of mid-range .357.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

User Tag List