Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting in the Virus World? Gloves and masks.

Site Supporter

Shooting in the Virus World? Gloves and masks.

Being bored with Netflix, I was thinking and it seems to me that I might be going around with Nitrile gloves for a long time in the future. How does that affect my shooting? I can't shoot my real guns now. Thus, I put a 2x2 sticky note on the closet door in the bathroom of the extra bedroom, went back twenty feet, - the best distance I could manage, and with my SIRT Glock 17 drew and 'fired' about ten times. Obviously no time or recoil, but I could draw and hit 5 laser pulses in the sticky fairly quickly. The glove didn't seem to impede grip or finger. How it would be if wet, hot day, sweating inside the glove, I don't know.

Just something to try. If motivated, I will put on a mask and see if that gets in the way of sighting my carbine.

I'm bored but seemed like something to do.

I don't think you need to wear gloves all of the time. If for example you went to the grocery store, you can go without and avoid touching your face and wash afterwards. Gloves are a good reminder not to rub your eyes or nose. COVID-19 does not penetrate through the skin. Now all of this is a moot point if you're this guy....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I don't think you need to wear gloves all of the time. If for example you went to the grocery store, you can go without and avoid touching your face and wash afterwards. Gloves are a good reminder not to rub your eyes or nose. COVID-19 does not penetrate through the skin. Now all of this is a moot point if you're this guy....

Don’t forget your ear plugs...

If I had a match to go to, I'd probably bring a few pairs of nitrile gloves and use them full time *except* when it's my turn to shoot. Basically, if I'm going to be touching anything anybody else touches, like the shot timer, scoring tablet, or targets, then I'd wear gloves. Touching my own gun/mags/etc.? No need IMO, except that it gets mildly awkward when/if someone decides to be helpful and pick up my mags for me. Clearly low-capacity divisions are out based on that. If we can just shoot IDPA length stages in USPSA with everyone registered for Limited, CO, Open, or PCC and no stages with mandatory reloads, we should be good to go on nobody touching anybody else's stuff.

I'm not sure on masks. My baseline impression is that they'd be less important/relevant outdoors, but on the other hand, how does the RO stay 6+ feet from the shooter at the beginning and end of a stage? Might be good for ROs to wear masks based on that...?

If someone else has a different evaluation of what would be correct there, I'd be interested to hear the reasoning, as it might shift my view. Probably a moot point for now, as I don't think there will be any matches local to me for a while. Usually they're starting up around now, but whether any will actually happen seems questionable. I just checked the google calendar where the local matches are listed, and it looks like there are at least some scheduled beginning in another few weeks, but I'm not super optimistic that they won't say "cancelled" soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I don't think you need to wear gloves all of the time. If for example you went to the grocery store, you can go without and avoid touching your face and wash afterwards. Gloves are a good reminder not to rub your eyes or nose. COVID-19 does not penetrate through the skin.
    I think it may actually be counterproductive to wear gloves all the time when leaving the house due to the risk of cross-contamination. What good does it do you to wear gloves to protect yourself from COVID-19 if you then proceed to touch a bunch of stuff with those same gloves (i.e., your phone/wallet/keys) that it can still survive on temporarily, then later end up touching your face after touching those?

I'm wearing mine exclusively to get my mail, and I deglove, toss the mail envelopes/packaging before coming back inside, then sanitize whatever was in my packages and wash my hands before doing anything else. If I had the balls to go to a grocery store right now, I'd just wash/sanitize my hands before leaving and after decontaminating everything I bought after getting home.

I taught a five shooter pistol class Saturday and intended on wearing gloves for the duration.....not for Covid....but for emergency treatment of GSW should someone crank one off in their leg.

I made the mistake of assisting one of them in loading their magazines (single stack trying to keep up with the others) and feed lips are rough on nitrile gloves.

And yes, we maintained distance. Some of them wore masks...until it got warmer.....and we had hand sanitizer at the ready.

Our training range is outdoors and the weather was perfect. Life goes on.

Site Supporter
    In my past life as a firearms crash test dummy, I was shooting almost exclusively in either leather (heat/harsh recoil) or nitrile gloves (shooting everything else and range clean up). Shooting with the nitrile gloves was a non-issue for the most part. A little bit more slippage in my grip but nothing that’s cause me issues.

I never messed around with shooting with a mask but it probably would have been a good thing to have done.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Shooting in the Virus World? Gloves and masks.

Smith Boogie Regulators with the vents closed still got hard to see through even with cat crap on the inside.

Nitrile gloves only alter my pistol shooting a little but they do hang upon my undershirt when drawing.

Site Supporter
    We used to set up courses of fire when the cops had to shoot while wearing their PPE. We also used do dummy drags on the range, etc.

pat

Site Supporter
    I'm going to my range today to try and get a little defensive pistol practice in. I have my own targets and target stands. My own stapler and tape. I'll be outside in the sun. I'm not going to have a mask (don't own one and can't buy one) or gloves. If God wants me he can find me any time and any where, gloves and mask or not.

Dave

User Tag List