Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips for .45 ACP in a revolver?

Don't use any of the CCI .45ACP shot shells in 625. They will back out worse than anything I have ever seen and lock it up (worse than an N frame .22 Hornet). I had to take mine apart to clear things after one shot, but that copperhead was deader than dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Bullet pull with handloads or factory ammo?
    Taper-crimped factory ammo is GTG in a revolver. If you add speed or bullet weight beyond +P levels, then you need a roll crimp. Most 45 ACP taper crimp dies will create a roll crimp is you screw them down far enough, but that puts a huge taper crimp on the case and bullet first, which can degrade accuracy. The goal is to get the roll crimp without the taper crimp. Back in the day I used a 45 Colt die with the bottom 1/3 cut off; now I'd use a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Federal 230 HST standard or +P good to go?
    The 625 is OK for 45 Super (28k psi) so it's OK for +P (23k psi).

I've been looking real hard at a 625 to mostly replace my 629 because age & etc making magnums painful to shoot and lot better factory ammo options available in 45 ACP than in 44 Special.
    Thank you. This is the exact rationalization that I needed to add a 625 to the stable.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Don't use any of the CCI .45ACP shot shells in 625. They will back out worse than anything I have ever seen and lock it up (worse than an N frame .22 Hornet). I had to take mine apart to clear things after one shot, but that copperhead was deader than dirt.
    Good to know!

I got some useful info from the hive here : https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-II-quot-Loads
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

Thank you. This is the exact rationalization that I needed to add a 625 to the stable.

Okie John
    Glad to enable...er assist you

I don't think many here will say a modern 44 Special hollowpoint is a bad choice, but I feel like modern 45 ACP HP's have certainly benefited from more R&D for LE or Self Defense purposes than any 44 Special.

I also worry about adequate 44 special defensive factory ammo going out of production.

Back before I got my 44 I wanted to get a Colt Anaconda in 45 LC moonclipped for 45 ACP. That was back around 2000, a buddy had a 44 magnum Anaconda which I really liked, even back then I figured 45 LC handload or boutique ammo would be fine for my hunting & woods walking chores. While having very good 45 ACP factory ammo for defense.

Called Colt and talked to them about it and they said they wouldn't/couldn't do moonclip conversion on 45 LC.

Either TK wasn't yet doing that conversion or I wasn't aware of them doing so back then so I ended up with the 629 which I don't regret, its my favorite firearm I just regret not being able to shoot magnum anymore in it without days of pain.

I do think Ruger is missing a bet by not offering the 454 Alaskan (snubby SRH) & Ruger Super Redhawks with 45 ACP moonclip as option, even if only via custom shop or limited distributor.

The Alaskan especially would have lot more utility IMHO with 45 ACP moonclip option, in the field could have small game loads like full wadcutters in moonclips so they wouldn't be mistaken for Bear loads in 45LC or 454.

Plus 2 moonclips will stack in single HKS speedloader pouch.
    Last edited by Dov; 04-08-2020 at 12:31 PM.

I don't think many here will say a modern 44 Special hollowpoint is a bad choice, but I feel like modern 45 ACP HP's have certainly benefited from more R&D for LE or Self Defense purposes than any 44 Special.

I also worry about adequate 44 special defensive factory ammo going out of production.
    Definitely more R&D invested in the 45, plus good 45 carry loads are as common as good 30-06 deer loads. Even if viable 44 Special loads remain in production, they may not be in stock when we need them.

Unscheduled enabling has occurred.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Shooting a primed case(no powder or projectile)will result in primer being pushed back against firewall. This happens anyway but standard loads have enough pressure to push case back against firewall. Primer then is forced into original position. Early machine gun development produced some models relying on primer setback to work the action. From memory I recall that the extra thickness from moon clips and the thick Auto Rim case rim results in a wider space between primer and firewall--than would be found in a .45 Colt revolver. This extra distance contributed to the setback tying up your revolver. Using a spark plug feeler gauge is one way to manipulate case to allow opening cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    a wider space between primer and firewall--than would be found in a .45 Colt revolver. This extra distance contributed to the setback tying up your revolver.
    yes the extra space is certainly a contributor, also a culprit on these particular shells in this or any 45 ACP revolver is the bottleneck cartridge design of their 45 ACP shotshells....not the plastic shot caps like the normal revolver shotshells

Name:  CCI 45 ACP shotshell.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  35.5 KB

Just like the .22 Hornets in those short lived N frames, a bottleneck cartridge in a revolver gets pushed back and expands so violently against the firewall that the thing is deformed and the bottleneck expands partially into the cut part of the chamber and partially into the freebore part of the chamber and reforms itself to that new nearly immovable shape...it was a PIA

yes the extra space is certainly a contributor, also a culprit on these particular shells in this or any 45 ACP revolver is the bottleneck cartridge design of their 45 ACP shotshells....not the plastic shot caps like the normal revolver shotshells

Name:  CCI 45 ACP shotshell.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  35.5 KB

Just like the .22 Hornets in those short lived N frames, a bottleneck cartridge in a revolver gets pushed back and expands so violently against the firewall that the thing is deformed and the bottleneck expands partially into the cut part of the chamber and partially into the freebore part of the chamber and reforms itself to that new nearly immovable shape...it was a PIA

That's an interesting "event" you had, and makes a good arguement for trying out ANY new ammo huh?
    Remington made, for a while, brass case shot loads, the brass was crimped over the shot charge. I've still got several around.

User Tag List