Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for .45 ACP in a revolver?

Tips for .45 ACP in a revolver?

Just won my first Gun Broker auction, will have a S&W 625 in hand some day . One of the big reasons I chose this over another revolver cartridge is that I already reload for .45 ACP, and I just happen to really like the cartridge. So I saw in a post farther down the page that some folks have an issue with bullets pulling out under recoil, and it looks like the solution is either a different bullet, or a tighter crimp. Any other reloading tips for using a semi-auto round in a revolver? I already know about .45 AR brass, will try out the moon clips when the pistol arrives, if they prove as obnoxious as I've always thought they'd be, I'll go that route. But if not, I can buy a tool and a bunch of moon clips for what a batch of .45 AR brass would cost, thus eliminating just one more item to keep track of and on hand.

Also curious about just how strong the action is on these guns. Not that I'm looking to do a bunch of +P type loads, but if I did want to load something hotter than normal, am I asking for trouble? What about heavier than typical bullets? Again, not planning on actually doing anything with the info, but just want to know for my own edification .

I know, no pictures, it didn't happen. They'll just have to wait until I actually have the revolver in hand . Later.

Dave

The Lee Roll Crimp die is your friend.

These work great for range use - easy on easy off with light finger pressure -- there is a right/wrong side so pay attention to the directions.

https://www.ezmoonclip.com/RIMZ%20625%2045%20acp.htm

For steel moon clips -- the BMT Mooner (45-6 I think) - this is expensive but it really saves time and frustration.

http://www.bmtequipped.com/purchase.html

Also, lee makes an undersize sizer die -- increased neck tension helps prevent bullet movement

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012827841?pid=572212

Paul

When I looked into this, I ascertained that the 625 revolvers were considered good to go for .45 Super level loads, but I can't remember the exact source.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I've been shooting the 625 for several years. I shoot 200 gr Cast RN bullets because they have less recoil than 230 gr bullets, RN so they speed load better(Shot IDPA for several years). I have had no trouble with recoil pulling the bullets, it's a pretty heavy gun, it hasn't been a problem. Make sure the bullets fit tight in the case and use a taper crimp. i shoot the same loads in my 1911 guns. I will note that I have a Lee die that doesn't size the case down enough to hold the bullets tightly. RCBS and Dillon work fine.

Nice score on one of the all-time classic revolvers.

Here’s my wisdom on them, in no particular order:
    • Starline makes the best 45 AR brass.
    • Find a way to roll crimp, such as the Lee dies that Lost River recommended.
    • The reloads your auto favors may not be the reloads that your revolver favors.
    • Heavier bullets are fine but you’ll run out of powder room past about 265 grains.
    • The 625 will take 45 Super loads. Get a 44 Magnum if you need to go beyond that.
    • Moon clips can be easier than you think. You can make a de-mooning tool from a piece of pipe.
    • A 625 is considerably lighter than a Model 29 with the same barrel length, so recoil gets brisk a bit more quickly.

There are many threads on 45 ACP revolvers here. A search will find them for you. If that fails, try the S&W forum. They have a cult of 45 ACP revolver shooters.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Nice score on one of the all-time classic revolvers.

Here’s my wisdom on them, in no particular order:
    • Starline makes the best 45 AR brass.
    • Find a way to roll crimp, such as the Lee dies that Lost River recommended.
    • The reloads your auto favors may not be the reloads that your revolver favors.
    • Heavier bullets are fine but you’ll run out of powder room past about 265 grains.
    • The 625 will take 45 Super loads. Get a 44 Magnum if you need to go beyond that.
    • Moon clips can be easier than you think. You can make a de-mooning tool from a piece of pipe.
    • A 625 is considerably lighter than a Model 29 with the same barrel length, so recoil gets brisk a bit more quickly.

There are many threads on 45 ACP revolvers here. A search will find them for you. If that fails, try the S&W forum. They have a cult of 45 ACP revolver shooters.

Okie John
    I thought you were wrong about the weights, so I weighed my 4" 629 and 4" 625jm. The latter has a full underlug, but is still 2oz lighter.

It's probably due to the shorter cylinder length, larger charge holes, and larger bore.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I thought you were wrong about the weights, so I weighed my 4" 629 and 4" 625jm. The latter has a full underlug, but is still 2oz lighter.

It's probably due to the shorter cylinder length, larger charge holes, and larger bore.
    Yep. Surprised me the first time I saw it, too. Smith is seriously fucking up by not offering a 4” Model 29/629 variants with full-lug barrels.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
    Just won my first Gun Broker auction, will have a S&W 625 in hand some day . One of the big reasons I chose this over another revolver cartridge is that I already reload for .45 ACP, and I just happen to really like the cartridge. So I saw in a post farther down the page that some folks have an issue with bullets pulling out under recoil, and it looks like the solution is either a different bullet, or a tighter crimp. Any other reloading tips for using a semi-auto round in a revolver? I already know about .45 AR brass, will try out the moon clips when the pistol arrives, if they prove as obnoxious as I've always thought they'd be, I'll go that route. But if not, I can buy a tool and a bunch of moon clips for what a batch of .45 AR brass would cost, thus eliminating just one more item to keep track of and on hand.

Also curious about just how strong the action is on these guns. Not that I'm looking to do a bunch of +P type loads, but if I did want to load something hotter than normal, am I asking for trouble? What about heavier than typical bullets? Again, not planning on actually doing anything with the info, but just want to know for my own edification .

I know, no pictures, it didn't happen. They'll just have to wait until I actually have the revolver in hand . Later.

Dave
    Dave,

Great revolver to have and shoot! I have one of the pre-lock Mountain Guns in .45 ACP and it has become a real favorite. I've killed many Texas whitetails (couple of dozen) with it with shots inside 30 yards from bow blinds and all were one and done kills, with about 2/3s dying on the spot. None have gone more than 25 yards from getting the bad news. I've used three loads: Winchester 230 Ranger-T standard pressure, Federal 230 HST +P and a couple of different 250 Keith SWCs over 6.5 Unique in Starline .45 Auto Rim brass. Can't tell a lot of difference over the long haul, but that Keith bullet could've killed two or three deer if I could've lined them up. The Federal load is getting the most use lately. It is accurate and opens up to diameters I still can't believe. Go over to the Cast Boolit forum for a bunch of guys using .45 ACP revolvers. Dale53 is the most prolific poster on the topic there. Have fun with that great revolver!
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 04-07-2020 at 02:55 PM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post

Dave
    Bullet pull with handloads or factory ammo?

Federal 230 HST standard or +P good to go?

I've been looking real hard at a 625 to mostly replace my 629 because age & etc making magnums painful to shoot and lot better factory ammo options available in 45 ACP than in 44 Special.

User Tag List