Thread: Tac 13/14 Shockwave short barrel shot/slug testing

Tac 13/14 Shockwave short barrel shot/slug testing

Not sure if this should be posted in ammo or here.
    The short barreled birdshead shotguns.
    Remmy V3 Tac 13 or 870 tac 14 Mossberg Shockwave are the type shotgun I am asking about.
    Has anyone reliable done any gel testing with these? Like FBI test.
    As cool as they are Im wondering how the short barrel affects velocity spread penetration and in the the case of slugs expansion or performance.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

14” 870s are very common in L/E. I’m sure if you look, you’ll find testing done with them.

While the TAC-14 is newish, the SBS 14” barrels run on them.

Most of the velocity tests I've seen with 14" shotguns dont see much velocity loss vs a 18" barrel.
    Its when you get below 12" that you start to see a lot of velocity dropoff.

We had some 14" guns when I worked the road, and our guys did some tests to answer exactly that question.

With the Winchester LE contract buckshot we ran, we saw no difference between the 18" gun and the 14" guns. There was no difference in patterning between the 14" and 18" guns beyond that which could be attributed to individual guns.

That was almost 20 years ago, but I doubt the situation has gotten worse since then.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Very good info thanks all! It shall remain on my list.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List