Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Teach me the need for beaver tails? How does slide bite happen?

Site Supporter
    Not a Glock but my 1911Sc SW Commander will give me a worn, spot at the web between my forefinger and thumb. It will take a match to do it, so it's not an immediate cut. I put a bit of tape in that area and it's fine.

No problems with any Glock except when I foolish cross my thumbs. Why - duh - it was a inside the car scenario and I had to shoot from the right side. Being left handed, I thought it would be better to switch hands (stupid). Well, not being totally in automatic motor control I took a stupid two handed crossed grip. Ouch!

Learned that lesson. If I have to shoot right handed, I usually shoot one handed. Rationale in part is that this would occur if my left dominant hand is out of the game.

I dry fire a great deal like that.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Your unique physiology and the technique you use to grip the gun play a significant role.

A lot of people who don't get bit by slides have sub-optimal grips and find out once they start gripping the gun properly that Glocks bite them.

I have always been bitten by Glocks. One of the many ergonomic issues I have with the design.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    I might have a sub-optimal grip on the 1911 but it works for me. Ha - take off from the Works for Me thread. LOL. Anyway, I can do an IDPA match (horrors) with it and only be three points down at my leisurely pace. There may something to only being about 5' 6" with smaller ends. I used to be 5'9" but age is shrinking me.

I've never experienced slide bite from any pistol. I think it's a myth concocted to sell parts. Mag bite, otoh, is real.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    For me I can shoot pretty much any Glock with zero issues, but a standard GI 1911 with nail me and remove flesh within the first magazine. I love the look of the small, minimalist beaver tails on 1911s and have experimented over the years trying to find one that is the Goldilocks of the bunch, in terms of size and ability to still get a high grip, still disengage, and not bite me..
    Thread drift......the Wilson Concealment BTGS fits that description pretty well, you may like it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    I've never experienced slide bite from any pistol. I think it's a myth concocted to sell parts. Mag bite, otoh, is real.
    I've gotten that from too quickly reloading a G26, if you are talking about pinching some palm flesh when sitting the mag with alacrity.

Slide-bite is a real phenomenon that affects lots of shooters who get really high grips on guns that lack a deep enough tang to prevent skin from overlapping up into the path of the slide. Like TC said, it's dependent on a variety of things, including the size/shape of your hands and the relationship they have with a gun you grip. I've got a slight scar on the inside of my strong hand thumb base knuckle from years behind a Gen3 Glock 19. I take the medium-sized beavertail backstrap on the Gen4/5 Glocks and cut them to be GFA-like; it makes the gun a fantastic fit for me and no more bite. Gen1 M&Ps with the large backstrap worked well also.

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post

I never experienced an STD from any of the girls I dated before I got married. I think it is a myth concocted to sell condoms...

I don't get slide bite with a 1911, but hammer bite with a full spur hammer, definitely. Chop off the end of the spur, and I usually bevel or round the edges of the grip safety and the problem goes away. Similar problem with the Browning Hi-Power.

Glocks - yes and no. A G17? All day long - I can shoot them no problem. A G19? Bleeding in two magazines. Something about the difference where the grip interacts with the base of my palm pushes my hand either higher or lets it rock in recoil a bit more, whatever it is, A G19 leaves me bleeding.

But most guns don't give me slide bite. I think with the G19 I end up riding higher on the gun, because the grip is honestly a little short for my size XL hands. I end up choked way up on that thing in a way that is actually quite uncomfortable (they not only bite me, they cause carpal tunnel flare ups in as little as 50 rounds). By contrast a full-size Glock feels remarkably "right" in my hands, but timers and targets don't support that I shoot it any better, at all, than other guns. Which I mean, goes to show how "feel" is subjective and feelings lie.

Not a Glock but my 1911Sc SW Commander will give me a worn, spot at the web between my forefinger and thumb. It will take a match to do it, so it's not an immediate cut. I put a bit of tape in that area and it's fine.

I too get that worn spot when shooting my 1911. I guess my grip allows the pistol to move when fired. It is the thumb safety hitting the web of my hand. Doesn't take too many magazines before the process begins for that pesky warn spot to begin. Can't remember getting a slide bite, but the cylinder release on a K-frame has been known to draw blood.

User Tag List