Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me the need for beaver tails? How does slide bite happen?

Teach me the need for beaver tails? How does slide bite happen?

I don’t understand the need for beaver tails because I’ve never had slide bite before. I mostly shoot glocks. I think I have a fairly high grip on the gun. But don’t get close to having the slide bite my hand. I’m guessing it has to do with hand size and maybe people with huge gorilla hands need it more? Just wondering!

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    I don’t understand the need for beaver tails because I’ve never had slide bite before. I mostly shoot glocks. I think I have a fairly high grip on the gun. But don’t get close to having the slide bite my hand. I’m guessing it has to do with hand size and maybe people with huge gorilla hands need it more? Just wondering!
    Yup
    David S.

Site Supporter
    A very high grip (which of course is the only proper way to grip a handgun for fast and accurate shooting) or a fumbled grip on the draw that leave part of the web of your hand in the way of the slide (even just a few millimeters on one side), can result in slide bite without having huge or meaty hands.

It’s happened to me (very, very rarely) with Glocks, and I wear L gloves.

A more pronounced beavertail would probably help smooth out imperfections in fast grip acquisition from the holster, but I have found that practice works too.

I'm on the opposite end. I can't figure out how you don't get slide bite with a glock

Glocks with no tail, Hks, and even the Cz P09 (which has a beavertail), along with many others are all no go's for me
    this was after 1 bill drill with the P09
    Name:  cz1.jpg
Views: 2537
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  20180129_142228.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  81.9 KB
    Last edited by Artemas2; 04-04-2020 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post

Name:  20180129_142228.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  81.9 KB
    You should lube your slides with Neosporin.

I am not subject to hammer or slide bite but I have seen some "railroad tracks" from a PPK.
    I was showing off my P210-6 to a friend. He shot it three times and handed it back, saying "You might want to wipe the blood off your gun."
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Learning to shoot in 2014 I took a very basic "introduction to handguns" at the Sandy Springs Gun Range in GA while I was living in Atlanta. One of the gun was a Glock which upon shooting, gave my wife a severe bite / cut in the hand. As I recall, there was no "beavertail" of sorts on that gun. I shot it without issue but distinctly recall it felt "odd" (as compared to all the other guns we shot, and we shot a half dozen or more).

Anyway, fast forward and I am slightly more knowledgeable (but not by much) than I was. These days I shoot my Gen 5 G19 without issue, but it may be due to the redesigned beavertail added to the gun, vs. the model we shot several years prior.

At any rate, I grip the gun pretty high, and don't have any problems. Size M hands may help.

Random pic from the web to use as an example of a Gen 5 Glock:

Name:  g19.jpeg
Views: 1066
Size:  18.2 KB

Compare with random photo of Gen 3 G19:

Name:  g19g3.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  50.6 KB

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I am not subject to hammer or slide bite but I have seen some "railroad tracks" from a PPK.
    You could slice meat with the bottom edges of the slide of a PPK. I used a mill file to round off the bottom edges of mine and made it mo-bettah.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Hand size is only a part of it IME. I have medium sized hands and have experienced slide bite with 1911s, Glocks, and others. Sig P series are pretty much “bite proof” though.

I used to get a couple railroad tracks craved into my hand after a day of quals on with my Gen 3 G22.

User Tag List