Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 327 snubby?

S&W 327 snubby?

I've shot this gun several time on a rental range and really like them.

For me it is a 38+P or 357/110 gun, before my health issue made shooting magnums in 4" Highway Patrolman to painful I could shoot one gunfull of 357/125 JHP from the S&W 327 snub but it wasn't something I cared to do even then.

I done couple of searches here on the 327 someone mentioned that DB was using one as a car gun and that is one of the niches I was thinking of for this revolver.

By car gun I mean more accessible than my primary CCW when buckled in & NOT a gun left in the car.

Looking for feedback from people who have this gun or similar snubby and what loads theyve used or considered.

Primary load for me would be 38+P 135 GDHP, I've got most of a case left of that.

Though I'd also be interested in something like a 38+P/110 X bullet if any of the mainstream ammo makers are still making them.

Closest times I've come to actually needing to use CCW have both been while in cars.

Deleted per below
    Last edited by Salamander; 04-04-2020 at 03:26 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    I was initially intrigued by 327, maybe would still be interested if I lived in a place without large animal predators. Ultimately I've decided to focus elsewhere. My intent was never for a car gun, that niche is filled by other things for me, so this may not help much for your intended role. I'll put my thought process out there anyway in case it benefits anyone in the community.

The attractions include the sixth round in a smaller revolver, in my case with a 3-inch SP-101; and the ability to use 327FM, 32 H&R magnum, 32 Long, 32 short, allegedly even 32 acp although that's the only one I've never actually tested.

Of those, my preference for day to day carry would have been 32 H&R magnum. Even in a steel SP101 I find 327 FM to be unpleasant, it's a high-pressure load with a great deal of blast out of that modest barrel length. At the range, the blast is readily visible. At night I expect it would look like a blinding flamethrower. I actually much prefer to shoot a mid-range 357 load over 327. On the other hand, 32 H&R is much more mainstream on recoil and blast, feels more like a 38 +p. 32 Long is great at the target range or for plinking, low recoil and pretty accurate in my gun. Personally, I would use 327 FM only for backcountry or wherever non-human threats are the risk factor.

The downside of that four or maybe five caliber versatility: Each one shoots to a different POA/POI, sometimes considerably so.

There's also almost no real world data on effectiveness, at least that I've been able to find. In this case I'd rather not be a beta tester.

As stated above, I could have dealt with all that if I still lived east of the Rockies. It would make a great camp or hiking gun in much of the east. However I use other things in town, and have pretty much gone to a USP45 for backcountry carry and have a couple of big bore N-frames as options.

So moving away from 327 and variants is more about my personal needs/preferences plus the ongoing effort to keep the number of calibers to a practical level. I reload for 9, 38/357, and 45acp on a regular basis and occasionally for 44mag and 45 Colt, so didn't really need one more. Also I don't shoot the SP101 as well as some alternatives, and have pretty much decided to standardize on pre-lock S&W for anything revolver. Thus my 327 SP101 is currently for sale.
    I believe he’s talking about the S&W model 327, not a gun in caliber .327 FM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I believe he’s talking about the S&W model 327, not a gun in caliber .327 FM.
    That will teach me to skim too quickly... thanks for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    That will teach me to skim too quickly... thanks for the correction.
    You weren't alone. I kept thinking "The .327 does it's best work in 5.5"+ barrels. Why get a snub?"
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Yes sorry for the confusion, I'm referring to the 8 shot N frame S&W 327 chambered in 38 Special/357 magnum.

Is there a way to edit initial post or thread sudject to make it clearer other than a mod?

I love both my S&W Model 327....which actually surprised me because I got it simply to help out a young industry guy who needed some funds headed into the police academy and I ended up loving the thing.

Now, .327 Federal Magnum was something I never appreciated till recently. I picked up an LCR in it for my wife, who didn’t end up liking it over her 640. I dig the thing. It is super fun to shoot in .32 short and long, I carry it with H&R Magnums, and can use .327 for a woods gun. It is really a very practical snub.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I love both my S&W Model 327....which actually surprised me because I got it simply to help out a young industry guy who needed some funds headed into the police academy and I ended up loving the thing.

Now, .327 Federal Magnum was something I never appreciated till recently. I picked up an LCR in it for my wife, who didn’t end up liking it over her 640. I dig the thing. It is super fun to shoot in .32 short and long, I carry it with H&R Magnums, and can use .327 for a woods gun. It is really a very practical snub.

How does it handle the .32 H&R Magnums?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How does it handle the .32 H&R Magnums?
    Well. Not what I would define as pleasant, but less painful than .357 mag in a lightweight S&W J frame
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Well. Not what I would define as pleasant, but less painful than .357 mag in a lightweight S&W J frame
    Buffalo Bore has 32 S&W Long HC Wadcutters that by all accounts get 18" to 20" penetration in gel through clothing.

User Tag List