Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal Champion vs American Eagle?

Federal Champion vs American Eagle?

Is Federal Champion ammo the same thing ad/or the same quality as Federals American Eagle line of ammo?

I've been looking for AE .357 mag 158gr SPJ and have found some Federal Champion using what looks to be the same bullet and lists the same velocity numbers on the box. I'm guessing it might be exactly the same stuff in different packaging

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Is Federal Champion ammo the same thing ad/or the same quality as Federals American Eagle line of ammo?

I've been looking for AE .357 mag 158gr SPJ and have found some Federal Champion using what looks to be the same bullet and lists the same velocity numbers on the box. I'm guessing it might be exactly the same stuff in different packaging
    And ... just like that ... it's gone ....

Good question. I'm in to see the answer so we'll all know next time we see any.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Champion is essentially Blazer Brass (ie. cheap WWB quality), while AE is much better quality training ammo for LE and other serious pursuits.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Champion is essentially Blazer Brass (ie. cheap WWB quality), while AE is much better quality training ammo for LE and other serious pursuits.
    I would agree. I have much better luck with AE out of any of my guns than the others. If it is available that is what I use for training and matches.

Thanks Doc! That’s what I needed to know. Fortunately I wound up finding some AE357A so I am good for now.

Does that hold true for their rimfire offerings as well? Somewhere along the way I got the impression AE was bad, but if it's near the level of CCI offerings I'll add it to my searches.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've seen AE in .40 S&W that I would have believed was reloads if someone said so. Have seen rather poor accuracy from it in a couple different .45s. But have had good luck with it in 9mm, so...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Way back when, my 5" Gummint Model with a fitted GI NM barrel would happily put AE .45 hardball under 2" at 25 yards. I don't know if the current stuff maintains that level.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Way back when, my 5" Gummint Model with a fitted GI NM barrel would happily put AE .45 hardball under 2" at 25 yards. I don't know if the current stuff maintains that level.
    I'd be surprised if it didn't. I've put up some shockingly accurate groups with the 9mm loadings of American Eagle

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List