Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Federal Champion vs American Eagle?

To me the Champions look like plated bullets and the American Eagle's bullets look like a copper jacket in 9MM anyway.

American Eagle is what I use for range work.

9mm Champions don't group as well and their rims aren't as thick which causes the rare extraction issue for me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    To me the Champions look like plated bullets and the American Eagle's bullets look like a copper jacket in 9MM anyway.
    I could see this being the case.

Just my subjective opinions on the subject having shot a fair bit of pretty much everything but American Eagle. I think AE might have a little higher QC, hence the generally higher price. The box muzzle velocities are higher, but when I actually chronographed the stuff, Champion ran significantly higher than what the box says. I got another 800 rounds of the stuff right before the panic hit and want to clock some more of it. I'd lump Champion and the black pack FC stuff in the same category, except I've never had extraction issues with Champion. Black Pack and Blazer Brass don't seem to like my M9.

If you can get it, and don't mind the occasional flub, shoot the heck out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    9mm Champions don't group as well and their rims aren't as thick which causes the rare extraction issue for me.
    Any chance you can provide a photo or measurement of this? I had a failure to eject with Champion 115 in my MP5 clone and couldn't figure out why considering it eats just about every other quality ammo like a champ. This might explain what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post

Very much agree with this.

I've shot a lot of WW 'white box' (100 rnd 115 FMJ bulk packs) and Federal AE 115 and 124 FMJ. Federal Champion is anemic compared to any of the others and doesn't shoot as accurately in my (mostly Glock) 9mm pistols; therefore I avoid this stuff and couldn't wait to shoot-up the case that I had. YMMV.

-Rainman

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Does that hold true for their rimfire offerings as well? Somewhere along the way I got the impression AE was bad, but if it's near the level of CCI offerings I'll add it to my searches.
    I don't know if this is true across the board (sample size is a couple bricks), but American Eagle 22 is neck and neck with CCI SV for reliability and accuracy out of my 22lr rifles.

User Tag List