Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying a Copy of Your Stamp

Carrying a Copy of Your Stamp

I keep originals in our safe, and color scans in my range bag and one for my SiCo Omega in the BCM grips on AR's. I keep a PDF of my trust on my phone, along with photo copies of my stamps, front and back.

How are you carrying a copy of your stamps? Anyone just keep copies on their phone, or does everyone find ways to keep paper copies handy?

Good choices all around. My suppressor use is pretty much limited to my property, with the rare exception. My range is about a 1/4 mile by road, so that is the only time I travel with them. I do keep copies in a zip lock bag with me, while in use.

ETA: With electronic docs, you always run the risk of loss or power failure. Also not sure if such docs are an excepted form. They very well could be, I just haven't looked into it.
    Last edited by CCT125US; 04-04-2020 at 10:08 AM.
    Taking a break from social media.

I have them on my phone, and also have copies of all my NFA stamps packaged in sandwich bags in every bag I use.

EDIT: I have never had to show them to anyone.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-04-2020 at 10:34 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I have a small binder with half-size laminated copies of all my forms. If I'm going to shoot NFA guns I just throw that in my range bag. Some of my SBRs (e.g. my 300 BLK that I typically take on road trips) also have reduced-size copies of their forms stored in the pistol grips. Whenever I get a new gun the form gets scanned and a high-res copy stored on my PC. The actual forms are in my safe deposit box.

Maybe it's a function of NFA being more common now, or maybe it's just me getting older and therefore looking more mature or something, but when I got into NFA guns in the early '00's when I was in my 20's I'd have to show my forms to the rangemaster almost anytime I went to the range. Now it's probably been five years since anyone's asked to see them.

Site Supporter
    I keep copies in all my rifle cases and shooting bags. I keep a copy in my suppressor cases. I need to put on my phone - good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I have them on my phone, and also have copies of all my NFA stamps packaged in sandwich bags in every bag I use.

EDIT: I have never had to show them to anyone.
    This^

No mention of what form this should take so a photo or PDF on your phone should be acceptable.

And this from the Form 4 Transfer application.
    "Proof of Registration: A person possessing a firearm registered as required by the NFA shall retain proof of registration which shall be made available to any ATF officer upon request." (my bolding)
    Last edited by baddean; 04-04-2020 at 11:30 AM.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Mini laminated version folded into pistol grip. Digital copy on password protected PDF on phone and in cloud. Hard copies in safe, originals in safety deposit box. These days e-files are sent to your e-mail box. I see no reason some compliance officer wouldn't accept looking at your paperwork stored in a PDF file on your phone. If they or someone else wanted to be a jerk about it they can go blind reading my micro copy that is just barely legible from the pistol grip.

"I have never had to show them to anyone. "

Ditto. I stopped carrying them.

My trust is 60 some pages, so carrying it is a bit awkward. The requirement is that you provide them to ATF folks on request. If some ATF (or other LEO) wants to see them, I will comply by fetching a copy from home, or the originals from the safety deposit box.

There is an argument that some zealous LEO will decide to throw me in jail until he sees the documents. That risk seems pretty small to me, although that may be a local thing.

Originals in the bank in the safe deposit box. Paper copies in a gallon size plastic baggie in the case where it is carried, full set in the safe. A full set for all my items folded in a gallon baggie in my trunk vault. A spare paper copy stuck inside the grip, or inside the stock, or in the case of my Krink in surplus cleaning kit tube in the stock instead of the cleaning kit items. On my SBS's, a reduced size paper copy taped to the stock, another inside the stock behind the buttpad.

yep, I am paranoid on this issue

Over about 20 years ago, late 90's, I had a friend taken into custody by an AL DPS trooper on a traffic stop because he could not produce the paperwork on his registered MP5, which he admitted was in the vehicle...it was cleared up when his wife showed up at the jail with the copies...he was never charged but his temporary detention settled the issue for me. I suppose there are better computer systems in place where an LE might run the numbers and find it was a registered NFA item now? Dunno...my paper will be with me when it leaves the house....don't trust cell phones not to die at critical moments or the internet bars to not disappear, don't like handcuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Maybe it's a function of NFA being more common now, or maybe it's just me getting older and therefore looking more mature or something, but when I got into NFA guns in the early '00's when I was in my 20's I'd have to show my forms to the rangemaster almost anytime I went to the range.
    I belong to a membership type range that is not manned. Members have electronic gate cards, come and go as you please. We decided to train up a cadre of RSO's to help ensure good practices. So when one of us is present we are charged with enforcing safety, although it's rarely necessary. The subject of asking to see stamps came up in training. My position is that I'm not a cop. If some guy drags out an NFA item and uses it safely, my interest stops there.

Some others seemed to want to be Charles in charge, I don't get it. The range has no liability vis-a-vis NFA compliance. If one of you think I've missed something, please tell me.

User Tag List