Thread: Galco Fastrax Pac

Site Supporter

Galco Fastrax Pac

Anyone rolling with the Galco Fastrax Pac for waist bag carry? While I only use a waist pack for working out or travel to NPE's, I do have a need fpr one. This one seems well designed, but perhaps somewhat complicated to assemble and then really complicated to deploy.

And yes, I do realize that Tommy Lee Jones in "The Fugitive" is the only one who ever looked cool with a waist pack. Thanks and be safe.

I have one. I know waist packs are less than ideal but like them for certain use cases (mainly when hiking). After experimentation with the Fastrax I've laid it to the side. They are well made but deployment requires coordinating both hands to a higher degree than other packs. After a few hundred test draws I've got doubts of my ability to cleanly use one under duress. Also sizing limits them to J frame snub or similar. If I'm going to go with the bulk and visibility of a pack I'd rather go with something more medium size both for pistol and other accessories capacity. I've gone back to a DTOM for the times I'm looking at using a waist pack.

Site Supporter
    Thanks, Half Moon. In a Clancy novel a couple of years ago, Jack Ryan, Jr. tells an Alexandria Police detective that he paid extra for "the holster of invisibility". Based on your review and Galco's own video on the Fastrax, I'm pretty sure this waist pack isn't that.

The presentation seemed too complex and your post confirms it. Moreover, while I understand the reasoning and advantage of a two handed draw, in the real world, one may only have one hand available to draw at the moment of truth.

Thanks again, be safe, and I'll cross that off my Christmas list.

If I was in the market for a fanny pack to carry my pistol I’d go with a HawkePak.

https://www.skdtac.com/HawkePaks-Mic...-p/hkp.501.htm

Site Supporter
    I'm currently using an Eagle waist pack and have a Hawkepak on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    If I was in the market for a fanny pack to carry my pistol I’d go with a HawkePak.

https://www.skdtac.com/HawkePaks-Mic...-p/hkp.501.htm

I have the older version of a HawkePak and have a Hill People Gear Belt Pack on the way to see which one I prefer.
    http://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/C.../ProductID/129

I’m hoping the HPG isn’t as thick as the Hawkepack.
    Here’s a comparison I did with a Hawkepack and the HPG Runner Kit Bag
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Runner-Kit-Bag

I really like the belt kit bag I got from HPG. It does fill up fast with a “full load” which, in my case, is:

* G19 w/TLR-7

* 17rd mag

* Small FAK

* 2x iPhones, keys, and wallet

* SAK and flashlight

That said if I can put anything on the belt line and free up space in the bag it is really handy. I have the manatee color and it isn’t too flashy. The Hawke bag and it’s 5.11 equivalent just have too much of a LBE look, for me.

Great little bag for quick walks, gym attire, and the board shorts and flip flops I tend to live in during the warmer months. Thankfully the DCC clips mean I can carry IWB with the shorts most of the time.

I think if I was going to level up the Unity Clutch rig would be the obvious choice.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I’ve had the HPG belt pack a couple months. I think it’s well designed. I normally use it with my Shield, spare mag, badge wallet, and often my regular wallet. It doesn’t look excessively large for what it can carry.

Bump an old thread.

I've been using a Galco Fastrax with my micro-comped Glock 26 and +2 magazine as a travel bag for a few months now.
    I throw it on the passenger seat for multi-hour road trips and put it on for stretch, bathroom, food or gas stops. I also put it on and unzip it when I'm driving through sketchy areas with a lot of panhandlers/homeless/criminal types hanging around stop lights.

While the two-handed draw sequence does take some coordination, if you screw it up you can still just draw the pistol one handed like you would with any other waist pack.
    That's exactly how I practice with it as well. I go for the "auto-present" draw, but if I screw it up I just grab it and draw like I would with my HPG bag or any other pack.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List