Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Navy Fires Theodore Roosevelt Captain

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Deleted.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 04-03-2020 at 10:08 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

The crew, at least some of it, seems to like what he did. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-warship.html

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The skipper was sending out daily emails to the crew's families to keep them up to date.

The acting putz who is SECNAV should be shown the door.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

If you think the Captains actions gave our enemies information they didn't already have you're deluded.

My job in the USN was to track and kill submarines, soviet submarines to be exact. For about three years I was involved in the T&E on experimental/prototype sonar and weapon systems. If you want to know how well your expensive gadgets work tracking soviet submarines, you go where soviet submarines are. How do you think we knew where those subs would be and often exactly which sub it would be? Today's intelligence gathering is even more sophisticated than it was back in the bronze age. Our enemies know our readiness capabilities as well as we know theirs. The Captain wasn't leaking super secret information to the enemy. What he did was shine a light on the Navy's incompetence in handling this issue. In short, he embarrassed Big Navy and that's something that simply won't be tolerated. Big Navy would let that entire crew perish at sea from COVID19 before they'd own up to any administrative incompetence. I'm also sure the Captain knew exactly what would happen and weighed that against his chances of making admiral, then acted on the percentages. My youngest son has told me some things about the Navy's handling of this pandemic that would shock you, much more than this CO's actions.

Fair winds and following seas to wherever the good Captain's career takes him. He was righteous.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Somebody other the captain made a decision to send the ship to Guam. I am sure they have reported their positive case growth from 3 to 114 daily. I don't believe for a second that during this entire week there was not a boatload of properly secured communications up and down the chain.
    Devil's advocate: According to reports not one of those 114 required hospitalization. Given the lower than average age, the coronavirus was unlikely to cause serious issues or death for more than a couple of crew members. Is it not then in the nation's best interest to keep them at sea - both for readiness and to allow the crew to get over the virus miles away from civilization so they can no longer spread it once on shore?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    If you think the Captains actions gave our enemies information they didn't already have you're deluded.
    Maybe. Maybe many of our enemies don't have the large intelligence body that the US had during the Cold War. Hell, the US didn't have the intelligence body the US had during the Cold War if you believe the folks writing books about post 9/11 operations. Regardless, it's a propaganda victory for Iran and others. I'm sure he thought he was doing the right thing. Maybe he was right, I don't know and am not in a position to know. I do know there's rules against making information open source that isn't supposed to be, and they exist for good reasons.

Sometimes there are no good choices, just less shitty ones.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Devil's advocate: According to reports not one of those 114 required hospitalization. Given the lower than average age, the coronavirus was unlikely to cause serious issues or death for more than a couple of crew members. Is it not then in the nation's best interest to keep them at sea - both for readiness and to allow the crew to get over the virus miles away from civilization so they can no longer spread it once on shore?

Agree, from medical standpoint it was likely a lower risk scenario. That said, even without any deaths the morale on that ship was likely very low and anxiety high, given tight quarters and unlikely any use of PPEs during routine activities. These kids are getting daily news reports of virus killing young and healthy now and then. I can only imagine what would have happened if somebody died. So, double devil's advocate: not even one preventable death from a contagious disease is acceptable on a military ship during peace time. If that happened, you expect people to keep enlisting? Listen to the orders from superiors if Sailors didn't think the superiors did everything to protect them?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Maybe. Maybe many of our enemies don't have the large intelligence body that the US had during the Cold War. Hell, the US didn't have the intelligence body the US had during the Cold War if you believe the folks writing books about post 9/11 operations. Regardless, it's a propaganda victory for Iran and others. I'm sure he thought he was doing the right thing. Maybe he was right, I don't know and am not in a position to know. I do know there's rules against making information open source that isn't supposed to be, and they exist for good reasons.

Sometimes there are no good choices, just less shitty ones.
    That's probably the best assessment of the whole affair.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    I understand the idea of not giving information to our enemies. However, in this world crisis - what is the relevant information and threat? Would the Chinese now launch a military attack on what? For what strategic purpose?

If they want to mess with us, they could just cut off necessary medical supplies.

I'm not in the lane to comment on the correct Navy protocols if that is the issue. The threat issue, though, doesn't make sense to me as a major issue practically in this case.

The greater strategic issue as mentioned elsewhere is that we flushed our manufacturing base down the toilet for the profits of the economic elite. Oh, yeah, it was good for the market and our retirement accounts of regular folks (OH, wait, that seems not to be so hot today).

If I cut up a tee shirt to make a mask - let's choose - the one from Viet Nam (enemy?), China (enemy). I will fight off hordes with my Spyderco (Japan, enemy). My Glock (Austria - enemy). Actually my Glock is stored with an FFL (thank you NYS laws). I do have three Ruger long arms. USA!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    My Glock (Austria - enemy). Actually my Glock is stored with an FFL (thank you NYS laws). I do have three Ruger long arms. USA!
    If you're that bothered by your Glock, than switch to STI, cause 'Merica!
    Glad I could help you with at least part of your struggle.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

User Tag List