Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Navy Fires Theodore Roosevelt Captain

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Based on his place of birth, you deduced he's clearly a sleeper agent who did all this cool stuff and risked his life for his country as cover just so he could eventually command a carrier and have a letter get leaked that embarrasses the Administration for exactly one news cycle. Good work.
    I intended NOTHING of the sort!

His place of birth only makes the local news cycle more intensive. For Christ's sake my family had a summer home just west of Santa Rosa and I spent many a summer on the Russian River (maybe I'm the sleeper agent?).

Sadly - with the way things are today - EVERYTHING becomes political! I actually feel for the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I intended NOTHING of the sort!

His place of birth only makes the local news cycle more intensive.

Sadly - with the way things are today - EVERYTHING becomes political!
    Please disregard then. I thought you meant he must have been a lefty with an agenda.

Please accept my sincere apologies. I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Please disregard then. I thought you meant he must have been a lefty with an agenda. My apologies. I jumped to the wrong conclusion.
    No worries.

I've had to do just what this captain did to get administrators to take action. There will always be punishment, whether official or unofficial, but it's worth it if you can't get safety issues handled any other way.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I've had to do just what this captain did to get administrators to take action. There will always be punishment, whether official or unofficial, but it's worth it if you can't get safety issues handled any other way.
    After a while, being on the bosses' radar for one thing or another is just a day like any other. I took it as the cost of being able to look myself in the mirror.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Yes, absolutely tragic that an officer with helicopter and strike fighter experience, higher education in national security and strategy, training in nuclear power, and command experience on the command ship for the 7th Fleet should be appointed to command one of our premier warships. What the heck was the Navy thinking...

What's really tragic is that this guy didn't have better judgement than to leak information about the potential lack of readiness of his ship. I'd really like for the Chinese to have to work hard to gather intel like this, rather than just handing it to them on the TV news.

Rosco

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Even as a dumb grunt and/or lowly contractor I was taught to never broadcast readiness. You never get on the radio and say your gun is down. He got on a very big radio and said a very big gun was down. Now he'll pay the price, and hopefully nobody else has to as well.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Having command of an aircraft carrier (the apex of major commands) pretty much puts the captain on the short list for promotion to admiral. Captain Crozier put the health and welfare of his crew ahead of that of his career.

I have served under commanders who did similar things. To a man, their careers stalled as a result of their pushing back against the chain of command. Those who pushed their career goals over the welfare of their crews always seemed to be promoted. Whether or not the letter was made public, Crozier cooked his career and he was fully aware of what would happen to him. The best that he could have expected was to be allowed to finish his tour and then be quietly shown the door.

Crozier fell on his sword for his crew. He is an honorable man.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

That ship was sent to Guam because of three cases of corona middle of last week. This was reported in open media. I normally wouldn't have paid much attention but I did this time. A good friend's daughter is a Sailor deployed in Guam and she is a medic who would likely be exposed to sick, so I talked to her mom a bit. Texts on my phone are dated 3/26.

Somebody other the captain made a decision to send the ship to Guam. I am sure they have reported their positive case growth from 3 to 114 daily. I don't believe for a second that during this entire week there was not a boatload of properly secured communications up and down the chain.
    So, maybe the Captain is an attention seeking populist. Or maybe gave his superiors a week to make the call he thought was right and then sacrificed his career when the right call never came after one week of a 40-fold positive rate growth on his ship.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List