Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Navy Fires Theodore Roosevelt Captain

Site Supporter
    I can't switch (thread divert) until I get approved as a pistol totin' member of Erie County society. That process is locked down for an unknown time.

Sorry to go off course!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I understand the idea of not giving information to our enemies. However, in this world crisis - what is the relevant information and threat? Would the Chinese now launch a military attack on what? For what strategic purpose?
    https://www.newsweek.com/us-iran-esc...threat-1495810

President Donald Trump warned Wednesday that Iran was planning a "sneak attack on U.S. troops and/or assets in Iraq" and later cited unspecified intelligence he said indicated potential plots by local Tehran-aligned forces there.
    "In terms of the decisionmaking of the Iranian regime and the Iraqi militias that largely answer to it, you're more likely to see an escalatory cycle by adding another factor to their calculations," Barndollar, who also serves as a senior fellow at the Defense Priorities think tank in Washington, told Newsweek on a press call Thursday. He argued Iran was "less apt to back down in face of escalations and provocations by the U.S. as a result of coronavirus."
    Iran's economy is tanking, pressure mounting at home means the need for an outside enemy to blame is probably mounting. If Iran thinks the US doesn't have the resources in place to strike back in a timely manner, do you suppose that might enter the decision making process? Do you think they will use it as propaganda regardless? Do you suppose the CO of the ship might have done what was best for his ship but not what was best for the nation and the SecNav did the exact opposite? Maybe, maybe they are both right from their perspective. Again, I don't pretend to be in a situation to actually know or judge either of them.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    A ship in the Pacific is a long way away from Iran. Iran is tied up with its own virus crisis. Folks were hoping the virus would bring down the Islamic guard but surprisingly, it seems that the hard liners are doing a better job than the non religious parts of the government. https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/04/02...20Bird%20Brief

If this is true, I don't know. One can speculate they might start an attack to strength their position by riling up the public. Trump could be doing the same thing. Who knows.

I do recall that when GWB was in some political trouble, we had:
    1. An Orange Alert
    2. Proposing constitutional amendments to ban flag burning and gay marriage.

All diversions.

I could be wrong but I don't see (outside of protocol), this ship being crucial to preventing a surprise attack. A major surprise attack by XY or Z would necessitate a major response. Given the supposed vulnerability of carriers nowadays, they might be a problem anyway. Who knows?

I don't see any strategic gain for China in attacking anywhere. If push came to shove, we could simply annihilate Iran if we had the will.

I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

This email was sent over the regular NIPR network right? I have seen nothing to state otherwise and yet a bunch of people are acting like he just tweeted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

I could be wrong but I don't see (outside of protocol), this ship being crucial to preventing a surprise attack. A major surprise attack by XY or Z would necessitate a major response. Given the supposed vulnerability of carriers nowadays, they might be a problem anyway. Who knows?

I don't see any strategic gain for China in attacking anywhere. If push came to shove, we could simply annihilate Iran if we had the will.
    What was our major response to the USS Cole? What was our major response to the strikes on our troops other then brushing off "just headaches"? What was the major response to interfering with tanker traffic?

Iran's playbook is to show that we're a paper tiger. It's pretty easy to see how this plays into that propaganda.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    If you think the Captains actions gave our enemies information they didn't already have you're deluded.

My job in the USN was to track and kill submarines, soviet submarines to be exact. For about three years I was involved in the T&E on experimental/prototype sonar and weapon systems. If you want to know how well your expensive gadgets work tracking soviet submarines, you go where soviet submarines are. How do you think we knew where those subs would be and often exactly which sub it would be? Today's intelligence gathering is even more sophisticated than it was back in the bronze age. Our enemies know our readiness capabilities as well as we know theirs. The Captain wasn't leaking super secret information to the enemy. What he did was shine a light on the Navy's incompetence in handling this issue. In short, he embarrassed Big Navy and that's something that simply won't be tolerated. Big Navy would let that entire crew perish at sea from COVID19 before they'd own up to any administrative incompetence. I'm also sure the Captain knew exactly what would happen and weighed that against his chances of making admiral, then acted on the percentages. My youngest son has told me some things about the Navy's handling of this pandemic that would shock you, much more than this CO's actions.

Fair winds and following seas to wherever the good Captain's career takes him. He was righteous.
    As a young military officer with company command under his belt said to me. "This was either his easiest or his hardest decision to make."
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    This email was sent over the regular NIPR network right? I have seen nothing to state otherwise and yet a bunch of people are acting like he just tweeted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kind of wondering about that myself.

Would someone who has the level of intelligence needed to rise to that position of command expect that such a communication would make it to the press and get leaked out?

Was the leak a shock to him? Did he get hosed not so much from his actions but from someone else who turned all of this over to CNN?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I do recall that when GWB was in some political trouble, we had:
    1. An Orange Alert
    2. Proposing constitutional amendments to ban flag burning and gay marriage.

All diversions.
    I thought that I was about the only one who remembered that the Stoplight of Death stopped oscillating after Election Day in 2004...
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    What was our major response to the USS Cole? What was our major response to the strikes on our troops other then brushing off "just headaches"? What was the major response to interfering with tanker traffic?

Iran's playbook is to show that we're a paper tiger. It's pretty easy to see how this plays into that propaganda.
    Grant you that may be true. I read that Osama viewed our responses starting back to Reagan in Lebanon and then in Somalia, indicating we full of it when push came to shove.

I just don't think the Roosevelt would fit into the calculations. Could be wrong.

User Tag List