Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight stuff that works

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I need a coupon for this 46” chest.

https://www.harborfreight.com/46-in-...top-56613.html
    Do you not get the 20% off coupons in the mail?? I might be able to give you the code off mine or something

Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL View Post
    Do you not get the 20% off coupons in the mail?? I might be able to give you the code off mine or something
    I do, but those don’t work on chests.
    #RESIST

HF has upped their game in recent years. Their tools are definitely better quality over what they were putting out years ago. Their prices have increased just as much.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pittsburg jack and 6 ton jack stands are great. They have a few odds and ends I've bought. The jack and stands are the huge stand outs to me, but I'm sure there are others.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    The Mythbuster guy Adam says buy cheap, and if you break it then go buy a better one.
    I am with Adam. I will also lump cheap pneumatic tools from sources like Amazon in the same pile. Like I bought one of these (when it was available) for $30:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Compared to a nice tool it is a PoS but I use it to hack around on simple stuff only occasionally and I will never wear it out. I think I bought it to use on the M&P I chopped to the 12rd magazines right before the 15rd magazine became a thing...

I have the aluminum small floor jack and it works great twice a year for swapping the winter tires on the Focus and Element.
    ETA: I have this awesome old school super duty floor jack that never has worked right. I have vowed to rebuild it because I am sentimentally attached, since I used to work on my first car when I was 16yo. I am 61yo. About that rebuild...

I have one of the little square trailers I use behind the ATV in the yard (never finished putting the lights and license plate bracket on it):
    https://www.harborfreight.com/1090-l...ler-62645.html

IMO their motorcycle chocks are good:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-l...ock-61670.html
    I have the dolly, but the wheels are a little small and it is sketchy:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/low-pr...lly-95896.html

OTOH one time they had a smoking sale on 3/8" pneumatic drills for like $10 and I bought several, and this reminds me, I should check to see if they are legit to put in the recycling bin with the beer cans...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 04-03-2020 at 05:32 PM.

I have one of these knock off Viaair portable tire inflator compressors.

Serves it’s purpose for half the price of the real deal. If I was regularly off the beaten track or had oversized tires, I’d consider the Viair. This works well for the back of the family minivan.
    David S.

One caveat about saying 'HF's XXXXX is great (or terrible)' is that it varies over time. For one example, over the years, sometimes they are selling soft cast iron anvils from China, and sometimes decent hardened cast steel anvils from E. Europe. The former are hard to dispose of garbage, and the latter are OK (and a great value for the price). You have to keep up on what they are currently shipping.

I had some C Clamps that fractured when tightened with light finger pressure, and others that were perfectly serviceable, etc, etc, etc. There is always a bit of a gamble involved.

Chicago Sawzall not so good. Won’t fit heavy duty blades. But for 20$ I have cut a bunch of junk up.....

Angle grinders seem to work well, but I DO NOT “lug” them.

Jacks are ok.

Friend bought a power snake for our church, the larger one on a stand. Would not retract. They refunded the money without fuss.

Sockets are ok. Lots of little stuff like chip brushes ect.

ALWAYS USE the coupons.

Oh, the power chainsaw sharpener has saved me hundreds. Literally. Prob 10 years old.

Good thread, and I have some HF stuff I can suggest, but I have a question: are the power tools any good?

I need a impact wrench for light use for my car (118 ft lb) wheel bolts 1 to 2x a year. They have cordless and corded models up to $100-$200 iirc.

You guys have any suggestions as to which model would be good for that kind of use?

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I have one of these knock off Viaair portable tire inflator compressors.

Serves it’s purpose for half the price of the real deal. If I was regularly off the beaten track or had oversized tires, I’d consider the Viair. This works well for the back of the family minivan.
    Any idea if that’ll work in 1/2 ton truck tires?

User Tag List