Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "Works for me" ... a slippery slope?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I’ve seen far, far, far more of the former situation in my guy travels than the latter, and many of the posts in this very thread are in that vein.

But even in the latter, while I agree it’s stupid, any instructor worth their salt just walks away and puts that person in ignore for the rest of the class. I learned that the first time I so much as ran a drills night at my local club. Walk up to a guy, offer his some advice (he’s purported,y to learn, possibly even from me since he came to my drills) get a “works for me” type response and it’s the best news I heard all night. Now instead of everyone else getting 1/24th of my attention, they all get 1/23rd.
    Yeah, the part about instructors is relevant. Believe it or not some people don't go to class to learn but to prove how smart they are/rub shoulders with the instructor/win the pin/coin/etc. Reminds me of my 2014 "Advanced Pistol Marksmanship" class with Vickers where a dude with the front sight backwards (Yes, literally put into the dovetail backwards so he was looking at the rounded slope instead of the blade) on his Para 1911 argued with Vickers about the right way to install a 1911 front sight, and then ended with "Well, works for me." (Spoiler alert...it didn't work very well for him and he's one of the reasons the class sucked so bad and we had to spend the first hour of an "Advanced" pistol class working dry with brass on the front sight.)

For those that care to see the gun, here it is. However, after some additional thought, I think I'm going to move forward with the mods to turn in back into my preferred setup (which is pictured below, the MK18-ish thing). I realized I had $200 worth of gucci gear on an M&P15-22 and some holsters and other parts I can sell off along with that Aimpoint PRO to get the barrel cut, buy the rail, and put a T-1 on it. Not sure if I'll get all the way to a Geissele trigger, but we'll see. NOT because I want the more gucci setup (I mean, I do, but I could tell myself "no"), but because I have so much run-time with that MK18 that so many things are automatic and in dry work I still find myself fighting a little bit to get consistent support hand position after a reload and with the longer gun, transitions are a little more awkward. Does it work like it is? Yep! Will it work better for me as a MK18? I think so.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    A) that rifle looks like it ought to work well and I would struggle to come up with a serious criticism of it beyond, I guess, length, potentially. But I think this rapidly turns into a question of "will this mechanically sound 1996 Corolla be okay for my commute? Because a 2020 Camry is a vastly superior car." I'm sure it is but other than preferring the experience of one over the other, I think the practical arguments against commuting in a mechanically sound Corolla from 25 years ago are pretty weak. Upgrades would be about preference, not whether the basic version is adequate.

B) I never really have an issue with the "works for me" justification because it's entirely context-dependent and I don't care if other people have totally different reasons for owning guns or standards of performance. I guess I would start to care if somebody with a Hi-point in an Uncle Mike's holster was giving advice to someone I cared about, but anybody I care about who needs gun advice is going to come to me anyway.

But if my dad is carrying a Norinco CZ clone in a cordura field holster with a buckle, am I going to get involved in that? If he says it works for him, perfect. It's not my job to try to turn him into an elite shooter (assuming I could even do that). He's not trying to be the next IG gun celebrity influencer (although that would be AMAZING) so who cares if some dumb thing works for him?

I'm with T.Y. Visor on this one; the less time you spend telling people what they should do, the fewer justifications for their random stupid preferences you will hear.

The only thing I hate more than giving advice is being asked for it.

I give "works for me" as much respect as I do "personal preference ". They both may be valid statements, but more often they're used as blankets to cover fragile egos.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I use "works for me" when people shit talk my preferences because an actual thought out answer would be a waste of both our time.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    I use "works for me" when people shit talk my preferences because an actual thought out answer would be a waste of both our time.
    Remindes me of a time when someone asked me why I use glocks when "Taurus is just as good and way cheaper."

I just told him "just like what I like I guess" because any real response was likely to go over his head. Considering he was retired LE he should have known better...

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    Remindes me of a time when someone asked me why I use glocks when "Taurus is just as good and way cheaper."

I just told him "just like what I like I guess" because any real response was likely to go over his head. Considering he was retired LE he should have known better...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post

Almost 100% of the time for me it's when I say I like Berettas. Hoo boy
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Back to the OP, I think that as long "tier-1" equipment (in terms of proven quality and reliability) as a base rifle is being discussed, and one has taken the time to research and become informed on what separates quality gear from Tactical Timmy junk, the choices made on sighting systems and other accessories is strictly a matter of personal preference.

The trap I see with ARs in particular is that you can spend a metric shit-ton of money on high-end accessories that do little to add to the functionality and reliability of the rifle. As ASH556 demonstrates, an extremely serviceable rifle wholly appropriate for civilian purposes can be put together for under $2k. There are some out there that will spend far more than that just on an optic.

It's no surprise to me that people who have thoughtfully researched the subject matter, considered all advice and input from reputable sources and have taken the time to carefully evaluate their own needs are able to make well-informed decisions on equipment selection. These are the same people who understand that learning the skills to use their modestly-equipped tier-1 rifle pays far greater dividends than burning through a Visa Platinum card on "operator gear" they'll never learn to use effectively (and most likely never even need).

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    For those that care to see the gun, here it is.
    ASH, what is the light mount on the 6920? Thanks.

Speaking to the OP, big difference between a thoughtful and deliberate reset, and being lazy with gear choices.

But then ultimately who's business is it really? Not knocking the OP because it's a great post and has turned into a solid thread.....but unless someone's paying money for or has otherwise sought advice, "works for me" is a valid response, whether it means "fuck off" or whatever. This excludes professional situations....I'm talking about sum dood getting into el otro dood's business for no comprehensible reason.

User Tag List