Thread: RFI: Video Games

RFI: Video Games

I'm not a gamer, never have been. I had an original NES as a kid (born in '83) and that was it for me personally other than a brief stint with Counterstrike on PC in the '02-'03 timeframe. I wouldn't say I'm "Anti-videogames" but I definitely lean that way. Anyway, with the combination of kids with sensitive respiratory allergies, a record pollen season in Georgia, and this COVID isolation, I'm knocking around the idea of picking up a gaming system just to give them something else to do. Current ages are 7 (boy), 5 (boy), and almost 3 (girl). We homeschool (my wife was a 3rd grade teacher prior to staying home when kids were born), and the older 2 can read and are already a year ahead in school. Screentime is extremely limited already and we do lots of imaginative play with Playmobil sets, legos, etc as well as recreational reading.

I was thinking a Wii because there are some moving/interactive games I've seen, but it appears that's discontinued.

What would you guys recommend for something kid friendly that would have age-appropriate games and maybe some physical interaction as well?

Thanks!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I'd recommend a Nintendo Switch, as you'll be able to get the most current games, and download others from the Nintendo Shop online (whichever the Switch's current version of that is) all the way back to classic NES games. Mario Bros is always good for the kids. Heck, I still like it myself.

Skylanders is a fun game for them. My son had a bunch of the characters (you can buy figurines that plug in as playable characters). Very kid-friendly. Splatoon is a G-rated first person shooter, basically cartoon paintball. And all the Smash Bros variants.

So definitely the Switch if you want the biggest selection of G and PG-rated games for kids (or "E", as the game ratings label it).

Side note, while my 13 yo son has graduated from the Wii to PS4 and PC, there's some rated T games I won't let him play while some M games I'm fine with. I trust my own judgment more than someone else's rating. But anything Nintendo puts out as a family game should be gtg for all ages.

I will also take all challengers in any generation of Mario Kart.

I will second the switch. As Darth_Uno said it has the best available selection of games for kids. Another thing to consider is that Microsoft and Sony are close to releasing their next generation of consoles. They were supposed to be for this Christmas but who knows now. Therefore I would hold of on getting one of their systems anyway.

I do recommend that you research the games before you buy them. I have seen way to many parents totally ignorant of the video games rating system, not to mention current issues with micro transactions and loot boxes. From what I understand Nintendo is good about keeping most of that stuff out of the games on its systems, but it never hurts to check.

User Tag List