Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat goes all in with the SIG P320

I could see the Wilson cost-wise being more viable if they increased the quality (in terms of the control module components, both intrinsically/materially and operationally); otherwise it strikes me as an incrementally improved cosmetic effort; hey, if you've got the disposable income, nothing wrong with it, but personally as lwt16 suggests, my money is better spent on ammunition, practice and training with what I've got-and I'm pretty satisfied with how I've got mine configured from SIG, with SIG components.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I could see the Wilson cost-wise being more viable if they increased the quality (in terms of the control module components, both intrinsically/materially and operationally); otherwise it strikes me as an incrementally improved cosmetic effort; hey, if you've got the disposable income, nothing wrong with it, but personally as lwt16 suggests, my money is better spent on ammunition, practice and training with what I've got-and I'm pretty satisfied with how I've got mine configured from SIG, with SIG components.

Best, Jon
    This is true in nearly every case and the argument could be made that someone is "better off" buying something like a Ruger Security 9 and a bunch of ammo and/or getting professional instruction over buying something more expensive like a Glock 19.

At some point personal preference/wants/desires come into play. As you say, if a person wants a Wilson Combat 320, there's absolutely no reason he should not buy one. Ideally the theoretical person has money for ammo and training left over after the purchase regardless of which pistpl is bought.

With this said I'd say that the person buying a 320 is more likely to have disposable income for training over the person buying the Ruger.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    Seems like kind of a loaded question when you start saying things like "tremendous improvement." I'm not sure that any barrel will give a "tremendous" improvement but I have seen some very impressive results from P320s with fitted barrels. There's a pic going around of a 10 round group from one of Max Michel's guns with all but 1 hole touching at 25 yards, it practically looks like a 7 round group.

The point is that Wilson wants upwards of $1k for a P320 with additional slide cuts (not at all necessary IMO) and a DLC finish, no trigger work. I can buy a P320 X5 or P320 X5 Legion and get the exact same function (better in the case of the Legion), but pay $200-300 less. Take that money to the bank, or get a trigger job done by someone with P320 experience, or put in a new barrel, either way the Wilson looks like a waste of money if you care about actual performance and not looks.

Edit: I also think X-TAC is ugly
    Not a loaded question at all. I've seen some pretty remarkable improvement in things like 1911s after a new bushing and/or a bushing and barrel. Other guns, the M&P for example, are notoriously inaccurate with the factory barrel. Apex has reportedly figured out how to make a match barrel that changes the M&P radically once installed.

So if a factory 320 will shoot something like 3" at 25 yards with good ammo and then 1.5" with a fitted barrel I'd say that's a tremendous improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Not a loaded question at all. I've seen some pretty remarkable improvement in things like 1911s after a new bushing and/or a bushing and barrel. Other guns, the M&P for example, are notoriously inaccurate with the factory barrel. Apex has reportedly figured out how to make a match barrel that changes the M&P radically once installed.

So if a factory 320 will shoot something like 3" at 25 yards with good ammo and then 1.5" with a fitted barrel I'd say that's a tremendous improvement.

Sounds about right. I don't know about your guns but my P320 barrel has a decent amount of slop in the slide in the locked position, maybe a few thousandths side to side and fore and aft, so as accurate as it is already, I find it pretty believable that a well fitted barrel would tighten the groups up. Max Michel did field some gear questions on his IG live video last week and he said the Bar Sto does tighten up his groups, although for USPSA he doesn't go around telling people they need to get a match barrel.

This is the photo I was referring to.

Last edited by Eyesquared; 04-04-2020 at 03:46 PM.

Sounds about right. I don't know about your guns but my P320 barrel has a decent amount of slop in the slide in the locked position, maybe a few thousandths side to side and fore and aft, so as accurate as it is already, I find it pretty believable that a well fitted barrel would tighten the groups up. Max Michel did field some gear questions on his IG live video last week and he said the Bar Sto does tighten up his groups, although for USPSA he doesn't go around telling people they need to get a match barrel.

This is the photo I was referring to.

Hard to argue with that. Looks at least half the size in the second photo.

I doubt Wilson would install a Bar-Sto barrel. But maybe they would since they don't have a Wilson branded 320 match barrel. At least not yet. Anyway i would seem only logical that they will offer some additional custom extras at some point.

The first thing I thought of when seeing the slide of the Wilson SIG P320, was Wilson milling off the ribs on the Beretta APX slide and adding the X-Tac serrations.

Seems like kind of a loaded question when you start saying things like "tremendous improvement." I'm not sure that any barrel will give a "tremendous" improvement but I have seen some very impressive results from P320s with fitted barrels.
    That’s going to depend on your starting point. My 34 couldn’t do 5” at 25 yards, and with a match fit BarSto can do under 2”. I’d call that tremendous.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I suspect the reason the wait times are measured in years is because there are so few of them.
    Maybe at the very top end, but there are a LOT of people making 1911s, even higher end models.

“That firearm is literally the Tiger King. Glittered up white trash.”

User Tag List