Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR-15 bolt carrier unlocking issue.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Since tightening the barrel nut didn’t fix it I think I agree with you at this point. Barring anyone knowing what the likely issue is and how to fix it I think this is the path I will take. Thanks.
    Since you tightened the barrel nut, did you go through the steps to make sure the gas tube, upper, barrel nut and gas carrier key tube were properly aligned?? You don't just tighten the barrel nut without consequence and there's now a good chance you've bent the gas tube and/or created an impingement failure point at its contact with the barrel nut.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Since you tightened the barrel nut, did you go through the steps to make sure the gas tube, upper, barrel nut and gas carrier key tube were properly aligned?? You don't just tighten the barrel nut without consequence and there's now a good chance you've bent the gas tube and/or created an impingement failure point at its contact with the barrel nut.
    I removed the front sight block with the tube attached prior to tightening then reinstalled. It appears straight and evenly spaced in side the upper receiver at this time. Prior to doing this the gas tube seemed slightly angled and the notch in the barrel nut seemed ever so slightly under tightened to properly align. It did not need to be forced in but I do not know what the procedure would be to ensure it was not bent in the first place or to make sure I have not damaged it. It seems to function properly by hand with a quality BCG but not all quality BCGs at this point. I wish I had just contacted the manufacturer on day one but I didn’t and now I truly do appreciate the help.

Site Supporter
    I removed the front sight block with the tube attached prior to tightening then reinstalled. It appears straight and evenly spaced in side the upper receiver at this time. Prior to doing this the gas tube seemed slightly angled and the notch in the barrel nut seemed ever so slightly under tightened to properly align. It did not need to be forced in but I do not know what the procedure would be to ensure it was not bent in the first place or to make sure I have not damaged it. It seems to function properly by hand with a quality BCG but not all quality BCGs at this point. I wish I had just contacted the manufacturer on day one but I didn’t and now I truly do appreciate the help.
    To do an at home alignment/bent tube check of the gas tube, strip your BCG until you have only the bolt carrier. Remove the charging handle and slide the bolt carrier into the upper while holding it horizontal. Then tip the upper up about 20-30 degrees and your bolt carrier should slide over the gas tube with no friction, clicking or stopping. If it does that, you should be good.

So, this is a BCM upper? How did you remove the gas block? Typically the set screws do not come out easily. Or at all.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

To do an at home alignment/bent tube check of the gas tube, strip your BCG until you have only the bolt carrier. Remove the charging handle and slide the bolt carrier into the upper while holding it horizontal. Then tip the upper up about 20-30 degrees and your bolt carrier should slide over the gas tube with no friction, clicking or stopping. If it does that, you should be good.
    Definitely some friction and stopping no clicking. I will order a new gas tube. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    So, this is a BCM upper? How did you remove the gas block? Typically the set screws do not come out easily. Or at all.
    It is a traditional FSB with taper pins I used a cupped punch, hammer and brownells branded block.

Site Supporter
    It is a traditional FSB with taper pins I used a cupped punch, hammer and brownells branded block.
    Sometimes that makes lots of noise and cuss words!

Ok barrel nut re-torqued and timed new gas tube installed and all appears right with the world now. My guess is the gas tube got bent at some point and my barrel nut shenanigans were unnecessary and counter productive. It came without hand guards so it was vulnerable from BCM QC, at which point I’m sure it was in good working order, until I got the hand guard installed. Anyway thanks Wayne and all who helped out.

User Tag List