Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 bolt carrier unlocking issue.

AR-15 bolt carrier unlocking issue.

Many years ago I bought a BCM upper that has sat unused. As I try to manually retract the bolt carrier it is “sticky” for the first bit of travel during what I would guess is the portion of travel related to the unlocking of the bolt after that it feels normal. Multiple bolt carriers and bolts exhibited the same behavior although I believe to varying degrees. At first it seemed the gas tube was sitting slightly askew and I thought that might have been the issue so I tightened the barrel nut a smidge. That seemed to fix the apparent off set in the gas tube. The stickiness improved little if any. I notice a bright spot around the front edge of the notch in the upper receiver for the cam pin but that seems common to my other AR that functions just fine. I see some minor machine type marking and a tiny bright spot on the bottom face of the 9 and 10 o’clock “lugs” of the barrel extension. Anyone have any recommendations on a fix? Shoot it and it will break in? Needs a new barrel\extension? Some sort of upper receiver defect and it needs a new upper receiver? I have yet to fire a round through it to know if it impedes function but it is definitely harder to manually retract the bolt compared to any other AR I have handled. Not impossible but harder than normal. Thanks for any input.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    How’s it work with the upper removed? Could be the buffer or spring getting hung up.

Same when just the upper and removing the bolt carrier. Initially it is “stuck” apply adequate pressure and it slide right out. Here are some photos that may or may not be helpful.Name:  B507A4CD-8D46-4D88-B84F-5EC5941707DC.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  28.2 KBName:  6679A97A-CB3E-40D7-9E7F-360BA8706406.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  23.3 KB Looking more it seems like the 6 o’clock lug also may have some of a bright spot to it.
    Last edited by jrm; 04-02-2020 at 12:11 PM.

This is likely a non-issue. I recommend adding a little grease to the bolt lugs, then lubing with oil.

I wouldn't have tightened the barrel nut on a BCM upper.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    This is likely a non-issue. I recommend adding a little grease to the bolt lugs, then lubing with oil.

I wouldn't have tightened the barrel nut on a BCM upper.
    Since tightening the barrel nut didn’t fix it I think I agree with you at this point. Barring anyone knowing what the likely issue is and how to fix it I think this is the path I will take. Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Have you tried running just the carrier without the bolt to determine whether its gas tube or bolt?

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Have you tried running just the carrier without the bolt to determine whether its gas tube or bolt?
    I have now. It’s less than completely satisfying but my primary BCM upper works fine with both the primary and secondary BCM BCG with or without bolt and same thing for my no name BCG. My secondary BCM upper sticks with the secondary BCM BCG with or with out the bolt same for my no name BCG. However, primary BCM BCG works just fine with or without a bolt in the secondary BCM upper. So I have a combo that is now working well in both guns just a bit odd that it takes a specific combo in what I would think would be plug and play. Anyway thank you for giving me another way of looking at the problem. I am guessing it’s just some minor tolerance stacking that would probably smooth out with use but the current combos appear to function check well. Thanks to everyone who chipped in.

Lubrication is your friend. Aside from user error and magazines Lubrication, the lack there of, is the #1 cause of malfunctions. Run it wet.

Wait, so you’ve never even shot it but it felt off to you so you started messing with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Wait, so you’ve never even shot it but it felt off to you so you started messing with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes it was a very noticeable sticking. Some what painful at first to pull on the charging handle hard enough to free it. Very different from normal but not impossible to cycle by hand.

User Tag List