Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why single actions?

The comments on the first page in regards to comfort are very telling.

The internet would have you believe in blanket statements such as "Single actions control recoil better", "Bisley frames are more comfortable than plow handles, DA revolver frames", etc.

That is more of a generalization.

Single actions are much more comfortable for a lot of people, but not everyone. Bisley frames do handle recoil better for a great many, but not all.

Length of fingers, hand shape, grip strength, size of hands, etc, all come into play. How you hold the pistol comes into play.

For me, I discovered after years of shooting SA guns, including Bisleys that I shoot a double action grip frame better, and find it to be more comfortable. It took years to stop following what I was told though and see the truth of this in spite of the fact that I had read the entire book.

I still love single actions and consider them just plain fun. They are, and for many people they are absolutely the best choice for numerous applications. I do not consider them ideal for animal defense, especially in a tangled fight or one where you need to shoot extremely quickly, the latter of which seems to happen often enough.

Strength of frames has been addressed by many people, so that is a topic I will skip. Suffice to say, Blackhawk or Redhawk, either will handle anything I am ever going to shoot at.

Back to fun, few things (to me) are more fun in the handgunning world than grabbing a handful of 45 acp rounds and tromping through the head high old growth sagebrush looking for jacks to smash.

The gun pictured above has a really good balance and that balance would be screwed up with a Bisley frame.

As far as SA grip frames, it really depends on barrel length and the recoil characteristics of the cartridge. I like the smaller GFs for 45 ACPs, .38s, etc, and shorter barrels. But detest a small GF and short barrel for a hard kicking cartridge like a hot 45 colt or 44M. That is where the Bisley has some merit. The answer is really "it depends".

5.5" is as short as I like for a Bisley. I sold my Bisley a few years back as I found I simply was not using it as much as my DA M29s but it was a nice gun.

It served its purpose as a camp gun an more than a few nights.

* side note: I laid out my bedroll in this nice meadow, found a big pile of bear scat about 50 yards away, but that was not a big deal. It was a couple days old at least. The big deal was the 3"s of snow I woke up to on top of me that kind of made things interesting, especially since I was sleeping in a summer weight bag. I was dang glad I brought a tarp.. Summer in the Idaho high country.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    The comments on the first page in regards to comfort are very telling.

The internet would have you believe in blanket statements such as "Single actions control recoil better", "Bisley frames are more comfortable than plow handles, DA revolver frames", etc.

That is more of a generalization.

Single actions are much more comfortable for a lot of people, but not everyone. Bisley frames do handle recoil better for a great many, but not all.

Length of fingers, hand shape, grip strength, size of hands, etc, all come into play. How you hold the pistol comes into play.

For me, I discovered after years of shooting SA guns, including Bisleys that I shoot a double action grip frame better, and find it to be more comfortable. It took years to stop following what I was told though and see the truth of this in spite of the fact that I had read the entire book.

I still love single actions and consider them just plain fun. They are, and for many people they are absolutely the best choice for numerous applications. I do not consider them ideal for animal defense, especially in a tangled fight or one where you need to shoot extremely quickly, the latter of which seems to happen often enough.

Strength of frames has been addressed by many people, so that is a topic I will skip. Suffice to say, Blackhawk or Redhawk, either will handle anything I am ever going to shoot at.

Back to fun, few things (to me) are more fun in the handgunning world than grabbing a handful of 45 acp rounds and tromping through the head high old growth sagebrush looking for jacks to smash.

The gun pictured above has a really good balance and that balance would be screwed up with a Bisley frame.

As far as SA grip frames, it really depends on barrel length and the recoil characteristics of the cartridge. I like the smaller GFs for 45 ACPs, .38s, etc, and shorter barrels. But detest a small GF and short barrel for a hard kicking cartridge like a hot 45 colt or 44M. That is where the Bisley has some merit. The answer is really "it depends".

5.5" is as short as I like for a Bisley. I sold my Bisley a few years back as I found I simply was not using it as much as my DA M29s but it was a nice gun.

It served its purpose as a camp gun an more than a few nights.

* side note: I laid out my bedroll in this nice meadow, found a big pile of bear scat about 50 yards away, but that was not a big deal. It was a couple days old at least. The big deal was the 3"s of snow I woke up to on top of me that kind of made things interesting, especially since I was sleeping in a summer weight bag. I was dang glad I brought a tarp.. Summer in the Idaho high country.
    Why is it I could picture you rolling with a "Keith #5", and it would seem perfectly normal?
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Because they are the quintessential “Murica”...that’s why.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Dagga, there ya go go, ya had go and show that pic!

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Because they are the quintessential “Murica”...that’s why.
    If that had a birdshead grip frame, I'd be hyperventilating, right now.

Which Ruger S/A's for "Ruger loads" only

This link provides information on which Ruger S/A revolvers are strong enough for "Ruger only" loads. Good, easy to follow info with a few pics.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...pistol-opinion

Hammertime
    I know next to nothing about SA revolvers, but I am super glad I bought a .357/9mm Blackhawk convertible. It is a beauty to handle, and shooting .357 mag loads out of it is just a pleasant fireball filled hoot compared to the usual unpleasantness of .357 out of a SP101.

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Why is it I could picture you rolling with a "Keith #5", and it would seem perfectly normal?
    Thank you for the kind words, as I take that as a compliment.

It is in the blood, as this is certainly Keith Country.

and just because this is turning this way...

Last edited by Lost River; 04-02-2020 at 07:09 PM.

If i just spent my life woods bumming my .45 colt 4 5/8s blackhawk could do everything i needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I've really started to be ok with the fact that it's ok to own some guns because they are cool and fun.

Glock 19 = Toyota Camry daily driver.

SA Sixgun = Vintage car you take out on the weekends to enjoy driving.

Can you put stag grips on a Glock 19?

No.

You can't.
    Pretty much this. I have a small pile of SAs because they’re cool and fun.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List