Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why single actions?

If you're not interested in very heavy loads, I think the Model 69 would serve you well. I would load it with 250gr Keith bullets over a medium burn rate powder (I like Power Pistol) for a velocity of about 750fps--essentially the "Skeeter Load" made famous by the writer Skeeter Skelton--and that load won't beat up you or the gun. That is the load I use in my S&W pre-29 44 Magnum, as well as my S&W 624 44spl and my Ruger Bisley Blackhawk 44spl. It is economical, accurate, powerful and pleasant.

Site Supporter
    oregon,

Not trying to pick a fight or be argumentative but the "Skeeter Load" was not a 250 @ 750 proposition. It was more like a 250g Keith SWC @ 900 fps, give or take a few for barrel length. If my admittedly fading memory serves he did that with a cast 429421 over 7.5g of Unique.

A 250g bullet at that velocity will solve most handgun problems and in fact duplicates the original 1873 loading of the black powder 45 Colt. That was a 255g RNFP over 40g of FFg. It delivered a reported 910 fps from the cavalry's 7.5" barreled Single Action Army revolvers. (smile)

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    A 250g bullet at that velocity will solve most handgun problems and in fact duplicates the original 1873 loading of the black powder 45 Colt. That was a 255g RNFP over 40g of FFg. It delivered a reported 910 fps from the cavalry's 7.5" barreled Single Action Army revolvers. (smile)
    This, even more so when you remember that one of the War Department’s principal criteria for that gun and load was the ability to kill a horse at 100 yards. Since then, the biggest improvement that we’ve gotten over those ballistics has come from better bullet design, not from more velocity.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Perhaps the experts can disabuse me of this notion if it's baseless, but "common wisdom" in my youth was that the plow handle single actions were SUPPOSED to rock in your hand as a means of recoil mitigation and because "split times" weren't really the point of a single action outside of parlor tricks.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I don't own a single action currently, more's the pity, but will eventually get a 4.5-5.5" 45 Colt SAA clone. Why? Because it's cowboy as fuck, and I want one. I've had several over the years, and loved them all.

They serve no practical purpose for me, but I want one, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Because it's cowboy as fuck, and I want one.
    Word.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Perhaps the experts can disabuse me of this notion if it's baseless, but "common wisdom" in my youth was that the plow handle single actions were SUPPOSED to rock in your hand as a means of recoil mitigation and because "split times" weren't really the point of a single action outside of parlor tricks.
    That squares with what I was told. I've also found that when you shoot one-handed, having the gun roll in your hand puts the hammer spur where it's easy to hook your thumb over the spur and flick your wrist to drop the muzzle back down on target. That's hard on a Colt's lockwork but it's faster and easier to re-cock for subsequent shots.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    That squares with what I was told. I've also found that when you shoot one-handed, having the gun roll in your hand puts the hammer spur where it's easy to hook your thumb over the spur and flick your wrist to drop the muzzle back down on target. That's hard on a Colt's lockwork but it's faster and easier to re-cock for subsequent shots.

Okie John
    "Roll cocking" was what it was called when I was shown the technique. Again, definitely not claiming any expertise here. I had a lot of fun playing with a black powder (repro) Navy Colt as a youth. .36 cal, IIRC.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

SA guns have some sex appeal and, due to some nerve damage in my dominant hand, I prefer the smokewagon for any cartridge that starts with a “.4” or greater.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've had an itch to pick up a .357 Bisley Blackhawk for several months now. Pretty much have myself talked out of it on the basis that what it will do better than my GPs, it probably won't do as well as the Contender, and what it will do better than the Contender, it won't do as well as my GPs. At least that's my thinking.

If someone has some good reasons why that thinking is wrong, I'd be all ears.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List