Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Why single actions?

Ok, Lost River-you've thrown down the gauntlet-here are my wilderness/hunting rigs:

4 5/8" stainless Blackhawk Convertible with Glock Gen 3 G21:

And with my Gen4 G22:

Blackhawk in carried in a custom Tactical Tanker rig, the Glocks are concurrently carried in a custom Tactical Tailor Thigh rig.

Ammunition for the Blackhawk is Hornaday 158gr .357 Custom XTP, for the Glocks Underwool Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators/Defenders

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    As odd as it sounds, a vast majority of my long range shooting (150 yards-400 yards as an example) is done double action.
    Unscheduled learning has occurred.

Thank you.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

As stated before, when really striving for accuracy and consistency (such as in the long range game) the grip is everything. This also has direct application to making sure you do not whack your knuckles. Doing everything exactly the same way every single time is critical. One of the primary ways I do this is to place the gun into my hand with my non dominant hand as shown, obviously taking care not to flag myself.

This lets me make sure the bore is lined up with the bones of my arm, and gives me a very consistent grip.

Pic/1000 words.

This is the gun I am using, and the grips fit my and the grips fit me well when using heavier loads :

old .44 flattop.

more..

Double action:

6.5" Model 29-2

Redhawk with standard grip panels:

You will note how when a person does this they can consistently grip a gun fairly high up which aids in recoil management and DA shooting. Though the grips are quite different, as well as the frames, the position/manner in which I grip them is not.

If you get used to doing this, you can pick up most any revolver and shoot it fairly well. I am not a great shot by any means, especially as my eyes have changed with age. However utilizing these techniques has allowed me to be able to pick up most revolvers and be fairly consistent performance wise, and more specifically at longer ranges.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    That Tanker is SWEET!
    Wonder who made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Wonder who made it.
    Tactical Tailor; I'll post some images later. Best, Jon

Redhawk

The crane on the Redhawk looks well-fitted.

Revolver Tanker Rigs

The one Tactical Tailor custom-made for my 4 5/8" Blackhawk:

Copy of World War II Naval Aviator Rig for my Security Six:

Best, Jon

Tactical Tailor Custom Shop Info RE Tanker Rig

For any interested (I have no affiliation with them)

Tactical Tailor
    Tactical Tailor Custom Shop Manager: Katie Pham (253) 984-7854 Ext 108
    k.pham@tacticaltailor.com

Best, Jon

User Tag List