Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why single actions?

I've really started to be ok with the fact that it's ok to own some guns because they are cool and fun.

Glock 19 = Toyota Camry daily driver.

SA Sixgun = Vintage car you take out on the weekends to enjoy driving.

Can you put stag grips on a Glock 19?

No.

You can't.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I've had an itch to pick up a .357 Bisley Blackhawk for several months now. Pretty much have myself talked out of it on the basis that what it will do better than my GPs, it probably won't do as well as the Contender, and what it will do better than the Contender, it won't do as well as my GPs. At least that's my thinking.

If someone has some good reasons why that thinking is wrong, I'd be all ears.
    I'd tend to agree with your thinking.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

A number of shooters have interests/hobbies that don't require the ability to shoot or reload quickly ie hunters, the dwindling number of silhouette shooters, cast bullet experimenters, long range accuracy guys, etc.
    The single action gives them a simple, strong tool that over a lifetime of heavy shooting will require less maintenance and tune up work than a DA revolver.
    When we put a swing out cylinder on a revolver we build in a certain amount of frame weakness given equal weight guns.
    A solid frame and the large bearing points on a big SA are very hard to beat up even with high round counts of hard hitters.
    Ruger solved the "DA durability with HEAVY loads" issue with the Super Redhawk, but still, the small (tiny) number of shooters who want big time horsepower (say 475 Linebaugh level) in a smaller lighter package, they need a single action.

Some people enjoy the manual manipulation aspect of SA's.

Then there are the large number of people who just like single actions for all the reasons already mentioned.

But overall I agree with your point that a DA gives a lot more versatility to most folks in revolver land.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I don't own a single action currently, more's the pity, but will eventually get a 4.5-5.5" 45 Colt SAA clone. Why? Because it's cowboy as fuck, and I want one. I've had several over the years, and loved them all.

They serve no practical purpose for me, but I want one, for sure.
    That is the only reason I can think of owning one but I hate to spend that much to get one just for that.

That is why I was thinking about getting the Ruger X3 framed convertible in 45ACP/LC but it isn't quite a svelte as an actual Colt which is why I got rid of my .357/9mm version.

But if I could convince myself that it would be a good heavy woods revolver, I could maybe have a more practical reason to own one and not dwell on it....

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I've had an itch to pick up a .357 Bisley Blackhawk for several months now. Pretty much have myself talked out of it on the basis that what it will do better than my GPs, it probably won't do as well as the Contender, and what it will do better than the Contender, it won't do as well as my GPs. At least that's my thinking.

If someone has some good reasons why that thinking is wrong, I'd be all ears.
    Haha

I am not the only one then.

Plus they are a hell of a lot better looking than any DA.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

I shoot a SAA style more accurately, in-spite of the slow hammer fall. My problem with most powerful revolvers is the trigger guard whacks the knuckle of my middle finger. I need a grip that fills in the area behind the guard, that’s why most of my revolvers wear some variation of Hogue grip.

I wouldn’t feel unarmed carrying my 4 5/8” Super Blackhawk but it only goes to the range or hunting. Those .430” 270gr WFN bullets at 1,200fps would be comforting in a place where the predators wear claws instead of jailhouse tattoos.

Now the 8” Army Colt clone in .44 would require a Cavalry saber as a backup weapon. Sometimes it’s OK to own a gun just for the Fun Factor.

Here's my reason for owning a SA revolver. (I'll preface this: I am not a revolver guy.) I own two currently: Ruger LCR, and Super Blackhawk Bisley .44Mag that I bought for an Alaska trip before I got my Glock 20 working reliably with heavy bear-defense loads. I have smedium hands, and Super Redhawks, Alaskans, and similar large frame DA revolvers don't fit me. As well, I have a deep dislike and distrust of everything Smith & Wesson, so that was out. That left a Ruger SBH, or something really expensive like a Freedom Arms. I went for the 3.75" SBH Bisley .44.

It was a fun challenge to train up to shoot a SA revolver decently well, and the gun carried and concealed surprisingly easily in an OWB pancake holster. And I'll admit... it is a beautiful gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Here's a full set of GW Drills with the SBH Bisley .44.

Gun: Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley 3.75" .44 mag, High Viz FO sights.
    Holster: Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake
    Ammo: Full power 240gr reloads
    Concealment: IDPA type vest
    Notes: As before, I did not have much difficulty beating the Light time for 2H. Given the main use (grizzly defense), limited capacity, and glacial speed of reloading, I think this is by far the most important drill--so that's encouraging. It's been years since I've shot IDPA, and the concealment garment felt unfamiliar. I don't think I netted any time on the draws from concealment. On the very first run I pushed it too fast on the draw, and ended up cocking the gun before it fully cleared the holster. My finger wasn't in the trigger guard, but I did not like this one bit. I backed off a bit on the draw speed, focused on a good master grip, and only cocked the gun when it was pointed downrange for the rest of the session. There is plenty of time to thumb back the hammer during the final part of the presentation.

(Total time after penalties and concealment in parentheses)
    F2S
    3.67 (3.42)
    3.55 +.25 (3.55)
    3.03 (1.69, .68,.67) (2.78) Dark

2H
    2.74 (2.49) Light
    2.75 (2.50) Light
    2.83 (2.58) Dark

4B2H
    6.06 +1.5 (7.31)
    7.33 +.5 (7.58)

Bill
    5.43 +.25 (5.43)
    5.44 (5.19)

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Here's my reason for owning a SA revolver. (I'll preface this: I am not a revolver guy.) I own two currently: Ruger LCR, and Super Blackhawk Bisley .44Mag that I bought for an Alaska trip before I got my Glock 20 working reliably with heavy bear-defense loads. I have smedium hands, and Super Redhawks, Alaskans, and similar large frame DA revolvers don't fit me. As well, I have a deep dislike and distrust of everything Smith & Wesson, so that was out. That left a Ruger SBH, or something really expensive like a Freedom Arms. I went for the 3.75" SBH Bisley .44.

It was a fun challenge to train up to shoot a SA revolver decently well, and the gun carried and concealed surprisingly easily in an OWB pancake holster. And I'll admit... it is a beautiful gun.

That thing is awfull attractive.

Site Supporter
    I won't go into the history of my single action journey except to say at various times it included a bunch of Ruger 3-Screw, Flat-top 44s and 357s. It also included over a 10-12 year time span a whole collection of restored to function 1st Generation, black powder era Colt SAAs.

I absolutely understand the idea of " Why? Because it's cowboy as (expletive deleted) and I want one." But in my case it's more a matter of they are peace officer and lawman connected. In my dotage I've gone back to them as follows:

Name:  DSC00153.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  37.2 KB

All three are late production USFA guns with the black powder frame of the pre-1896 (or there-about) 1st Gen Colt's. These are all USA parts and construction and as fine a firearm as the original.

Top one is a 7-1/2" 45 Colt with USFAs "Gunslinger" finish (I hate that name).

Second down is a properly military marked 45 Colt, cut to 5-1/2" as was done ~ 1890-92 during the arsenal rebuilds.

Finally my favorite, a commercial 4-3/4" 45 Colt with case hardened frame and hammer, with the rest done in USFA's arsenal blue.

There's two more but I haven't done a family portrait since they arrived. And I should add, when I get my courage up (more to do with physical condition than anything) I prefer to shoot black powder through them. (smile)

Dave

User Tag List