Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why single actions?

Why single actions?

This isn't a troll post. I was just thinking about it the other day and I know there are a lot of round gun guys/gals that could educate me.

I have owned quite a few single action revolvers over the years. 2 Ruger Single Sixes, 2 Ruger Vaqueros (45 ACP/LC), 1 Ruger Blackhawk 44 Mag, 1 Ruger Blackhawk 9mm/38 standard frame and 1 with the new XR3'ish frame and a Colt Cowboy in .45C over the years.

All of them are gone now. I only have the Ruger Single Six that was my Dad's before he passed away anymore and honestly, if it weren't for the sentimental value of this revolver, I probably wouldn't have it.

A Smith/Ruger/Colt DA revolver with a hammer gives me the option to shoot in single action with the added benefit of being easier to load and having DA available.

Other than the nostalgia and/or cowboy action shooting requirement, what is the appeal of the single action?

I have read they are stronger and I know you can shoot 45 ACP without needing moon clips, I can see that but is there anything else that you gain by going single action that you cannot also get with a double action?

I still would like to have one of those Lipsey stainless special XR3 adjustable sight models in 45 ACP/LC but I can't think of a good reason to own one instead of getting something else as a big bore revolver.

(Either a Smith 69 or a Ruger 45 Colt)

So am I missing anything that I should contemplate?

(I have to spend 2 hours mowing the yard this afternoon and I always like to think about guns when mowing. )

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Other than the nostalgia and/or cowboy action shooting requirement, what is the appeal of the single action?
    For me, it's long-term recoil abatement. I like a 250-grain bullet at about 1,000 fps for deer hunting. That's a relatively mild load, but I'll get a flinch if I shoot enough of it in a Model 29 Smith enough to be competent on Opening Day of deer season. I don't have that problem with a Ruger Blackhawk.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 04-02-2020 at 09:51 AM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

My Bowen tuned four inch Blackhawk was WAY more comfortable to shoot magnum ammo through than a 629 Smith.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Recoil abatement and safety when shooting heavy ammunition.

Edited to add: the "single actions are stronger" statement is accurate only with respect to the large-frame Ruger Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks. The Lipsey's "mid-size" frame Blackhawks are no stronger than a modern S&W N-frame--Brian Pearce's article in Handloader back in 2010 covering the introduction of the 45/45ACP Blackhawk convertible addresses this issue in detail--and such guns should not be subjected to the "Ruger / T/C Only" loads listed in loading manuals.

That is interesting.

When I would shoot my .44 Mag Blackhawk if I wasn't especially careful and got too high of a grip, it would "bite" me. The sharp edge of the grip frame would rotate back in my hand and hit the base knuckle of thumb and man that would hurt.

If I made sure I gripped it lower down it would roll back and not "bite" the base of my thumb but I didn't always remember. Much to my chagrin.

I had a 6" bbl 629 years ago and I didn't notice it like I did that Blackhawk.

Are you guys using "standard" wood grips or something else?

You guys have way more time shooting than I do and more time on single actions. GJM shoots more in a year than I do in a decade.

I like the Bisley grip for heavy recoil as it pushes straight back rather than rolling up and in like the standard "plow handle" grip. I've been bit by the hammers on Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks with standard grips when shooting very heavy recoiling 45 Colt and 44 Magnum rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    That is interesting.

When I would shoot my .44 Mag Blackhawk if I wasn't especially careful and got too high of a grip, it would "bite" me. The sharp edge of the grip frame would rotate back in my hand and hit the base knuckle of thumb and man that would hurt.

If I made sure I gripped it lower down it would roll back and not "bite" the base of my thumb but I didn't always remember. Much to my chagrin.

I had a 6" bbl 629 years ago and I didn't notice it like I did that Blackhawk.

Are you guys using "standard" wood grips or something else?

You guys have way more time shooting than I do and more time on single actions. GJM shoots more in a year than I do in a decade.
    A lot of it is the shape of your hands.

David Bradshaw, who ruled the silhouette roost for quite some time with Ruger single actions, indexes on the bottom of the grip frame.

I use plain wood grips on a single action because everything else I tried made things worse. My favorite DA setups are Magna grips with a Pachmayr grip adapter or Jordan Troopers.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I like the Bisley grip for heavy recoil as it pushes straight back rather than rolling up and in like the standard "plow handle" grip. I've been bit by the hammers on Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks with standard grips when shooting very heavy recoiling 45 Colt and 44 Magnum rounds.
    Definitely agree.

I went through a hot 45 Colt phase about 20 years ago. It left me with a ruinous flinch that would have been far worse had I not been shooting a Bisley.

Still not sure that I've recovered fully.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Definitely agree.

I went through a hot 45 Colt phase about 20 years ago. It left me with a ruinous flinch that would have been far worse had I not been shooting a Bisley.

Still not sure that I've recovered fully.

Okie John
    I also developed a terrible flinch after my first attempts at mastering the heavy 45 Colt; in my case I was working with a Ruger Redhawk. I had to go back to shooting air pistols and 22's for three months to mitigate it before returning to the project. The physical toll heavy recoil can take should not be underestimated; I remember some years ago when John Taffin published X-rays of his wrists in "Guns" magazine showing the damage done after decades of heavy revolver shooting, they were sobering to look at.

Avoiding painful recoil is one reason why I've settled on "heavy bullet at 1000fps" as my standard recipe for hunting loads big bore revolvers and "heavy bullet at 750fps" for my target loads in the same guns. I see no advantage to driving a 360gr bullet at 1200fps as opposed to 1000fps in the 45 Colt, for instance, but the difference in recoil between those loads is noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I have never even held a Bisley grip.

No one around here carries any single actions in anything other than .22 and most of them are Heritage Rough Riders.

If I want one, I usually have to order/buy one sight unseen.

So big bore is better in a single action than a double action?

I don't have any interest in the really heavy loads but I am interested in "normal" loads.

I have been thinking about the Model 69 or something similar but I am open to other, especially less uncomfortable, ideas.

User Tag List