Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Why single actions?

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I have heard more than one vet mention the rats. It makes me wonder why pellet rifles were not purchased to help reduce the rodent population. Perhaps their number was so great that popping them would have had no big effect. I think that because the local people ate rats, our military did not use poison to kill them.
    Talk about a head slapper. Can't believe I never thought about a pellet gun, although back then they were not quite as popular as now. Dad had a pistol but it was co2 operated. I can't remember even seeing a pump up pellet gun back then but I'm sure they were probably around. It was probably into the 80's before I noticed the popularity of the pump ups.

They did have poison set out inside the compound and it was routinely maintained. The ones we were shooting at night were outside and thickest near the two river bunkers.

One day in the supply room as I was going through the closets while hanging around I spotted a straw archery target, stand, 2 fiberglass bows and a handful of arrow. My eyes lit up and I asked if anyone was using this and if not, could I. Sure, the Sgt said. I set it up in the beer/soda and liquor storage room and shot just about every evening. I got so I could hit a bar coaster from the hip at about 10 yards or so. They used to kid me and ask if I took it on guard with me. I restocked up on arrows while on R&R in Tokyo.

Name:  2401409020_c75eae845b_b.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  99.4 KB

It was called the Seminary because it actually once was a Catholic Seminary the Army leased and then fortified. Some have posted earlier photos and the changes that were made as the years went by are interesting. Notice the Cross on the top of the building on the right. It was just north of the city of My Tho.

Sorry to derail the thread some, but one of the guys did have a single action Ruger .357 there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Grizzly; 04-03-2020 at 11:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    There were many objections to rats. One was that they attracted cobra snakes. About privately owned handguns. One concern was negligent discharges. By 1970, racial tension restricted issuing weapons to enlisted men except to those assigned to guard duty and those carrying out response to attacks. On a lighter note, a friend served with the 1st Air Cav during 1967 and 68. After six weeks in the field, when they returned to a fire base to rest, these guys refused to enter a bunker at night but would sleep in them during the day. Reason was they blew up Charlie's at every opportunity and considered them death traps. They, like Charlie, used pole charges for the task when a LAW was not available or suitable.

And for any interested, here's the custom thigh thigh Tactical Tailor ginned up for me for my Glocks; it works very nicely and securely with both my G21 and Gen4 G22. The custom component basically has to do with the double-buckle setup on both of the thigh straps; in its initial single-buckle incarnation, I found on my initial hunting trip with it that the buckles would allow strap slippage and loosening when I walked through high wet grass and foliage. The second buckle set definitely locks the straps very securely and precludes slippage. The integral spare magazine pouch is handy as well; usually in the bush I'll have the Glock loaded with Underwood Lehighs; when shifting to an area where the greater likely threat is two-legged, I'll switch to the Speer Gold Dots carried in the rig's spare pouch.

This is a great wilderness and hunting rig, as the pistol is easily accessible and the rig is out of the way of my rucksack and its straps. A Glock excels; both for this rig and in the wilderness in general due to its extreme weather imperviousness, low lubrication requirements and ease of field- and detail-stripping if necessary.

I like the idea of having a higher capacity, fast operating option capable of rapidly accessing and providing fast multiple projectile deployment as back up to the SA Blackhawk (or a bolt-action rifle if/when necessary) when hunting or hiking in bear/cougar country, or in camp or town.

Unlike some similar rigs, when I properly set this up I find that it's comfortable and physically unobtrusive when worn for extended periods.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-04-2020 at 10:19 AM.

User Tag List