Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why single actions?

I think Mas was one person who has mentioned a benefit I didn't see mentioned here related to riding horses or ATV's that you have to manually cock the hammer for each shot. So like a bolt action rifle vs semi you don't have to worry so much about unintended 2nd or 3rd shots.

Since reading that I've thought that aspect might be useful for Kayaking, Canoeing, & other types of boating.

When I was buying most of my single actions to play with the big bores, either i couldn't find a model 29 or else I couldn't afford one. I did once own a Redhawk but really didn't care for it in 7 1/2. I much preferred the 5 1/2 back then. I never did buy an N frame simply because the grip was a bit large for my hand. Sweet revolver though.

I still enjoy my slicked up old Blackhawk .45 Colt 4 5/8 from the "80s with its Super Blackhawk hammer. Enjoy being a key word. I'd like to have the new lighter/smaller version in .45 conv. but a bit too old to enjoy as much as I once would have.

The main thing that has changed today's way of thinking is the popularity of concealed carry which us civilians didn't have available to us years ago. There was no stigma associated with sa back then. They were very popular and those of us who grew up with them probably still have one or two or more. They were so accepted that I even remember one of the guys in our compound carrying one in .357 while in Viet Nam. I wish I'd had one to shoot .22 shorts at the rats while on guard duty instead of the reduced loads I made for my M2 Carbine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    I think Mas was one person who has mentioned a benefit I didn't see mentioned here related to riding horses or ATV's that you have to manually cock the hammer for each shot. So like a bolt action rifle vs semi you don't have to worry so much about unintended 2nd or 3rd shots.

Since reading that I've thought that aspect might be useful for Kayaking, Canoeing, & other types of boating.
    Yup. If I take to riding horses regularly again, I’ll be packing a single action exclusively for that activity for these reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    ...They were so accepted that I even remember one of the guys in our compound carrying one in .357 while in Viet Nam. I wish I'd had one to shoot .22 shorts at the rats while on guard duty instead of the reduced loads I made for my M2 Carbine.
    Stories, if you please!

They were so accepted that I even remember one of the guys in our compound carrying one in .357 while in Viet Nam.
    Dude, I have to ask: wasn't a SEAL named Dixon, by any chance?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

No, definitely not a Seal. I can remember the face and the man but not his job. He was a Spec 4 and probably with the Security attachment they added. It was a 6 1/2" iirr. There were some guys who could just find about anything for sale over there. We were first issued M2's, being a MACV compound and later when Charlie showed up with AK's, the 7th ARVN Division as well as the MACV advisers and support troops were issued M16's. I first had a chance to buy a sawed off M2, both at the pistol grip and the barrel in front of the forearm and later a folding stock M2. The first was about useless for anything but up close but the folding stock stayed with me till I left. The stock was about to be put in a box and mailed home when a friend who was about to go out in the field asked if he could have it. How could I say no?

I extended twice and I remember on one one trip back thinking about buying one at home and bringing it with me -but- the risk outweighed the desire. That was after seeing the Ruger sa over there. Really though, that folding stock M2 was so handy and light that I really didn't need a sidearm. If I wanted one for convoy I could always check out a 1911 from supply. That's probably why I had an old large spur hammer fitted to my Series 70 Colt years ago by Richard Heinie. I like it better than the bobbed hammer a smith did for me. The one in supply had one and I like them just like I did the Python and SBH hammers years ago.

Shooting rats? There were plenty to shoot since our compound was on a small tributary of the Mekong River. If we used full power loads, the report while on guard duty would raise questions, not to mention disturb those trying to sleep. There was enough background noise as it was. I used to say while everyone back home slept to the sound of crickets, we heard .50's going off in the distance as well as small arms.

So some of us would pull the bullets, dump some of the powder and then push the bullet back in. I always brought my cleaning rod with me in case the bullet didn't make it out the barrel. (I read years later in a reloading manual that the H110 powder that was probably used in the carbine round should not be used with a reduced load). That happened one night when I tried to shoot one of those huge rats we sometimes saw. I still remember wanting to shoot the rat so bad and looking at the M60. Some guys would do that and then not own up to it causing the whole compound to go on alert. Then I'd have to light the sky up with my 81 mortar flares for an hour or so until they let us go back to bed.

Sometimes i'd get shotgun shells from the gate guards and then cut up the buck shot into small pieces for the rats. I'd reduce the powder charge, lay a layer of melted wax down, then the shot and another wad. they worked pretty good but not as good as the load I made with my dog tag chains. I still remember that rat jumping about a foot straight up, flipping over and landing on his back dead. I should have had Dad mail me some #9 shot. Just something to do when I was not playing the harmonica along that river or watching the small boats go by at night.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 04-02-2020 at 10:25 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I've had an itch to pick up a .357 Bisley Blackhawk for several months now. Pretty much have myself talked out of it on the basis that what it will do better than my GPs, it probably won't do as well as the Contender, and what it will do better than the Contender, it won't do as well as my GPs. At least that's my thinking.

If someone has some good reasons why that thinking is wrong, I'd be all ears.
    The wrong part is including the Contender in the comparison. Look at it another way. If you already had a Bisley that was a good specimen in addition to the GPS, would you eliminate the Bisley? If not, then the Bisley has merit. If you enjoy experimenting with heavy loads, then the Bisley is an ideal revolver. If you have access to rural land so you can do long range shooting, the Bisley will shine. Have you yet mastered the clunky hammer fall and slower lock time of the single action? If not, then you will learn much as you practice and adapt to this obsolete clone of past firearms. Would you look forward to interacting with Ruger reps in an effort to get fixed what should have been done right the first time?

And then there is the matter of soul. The Bisley will have it. Instead of talking yourself out of owning a Bisley, you err in not buying one whether you need it or not. Must I draw you a picture?

Shepherd was his name who had the Ruger sa in VN. Funny how a name from so long ago can come back to you.

Site Supporter
    Shooting rats? There were plenty to shoot since our compound was on a small tributary of the Mekong River. If we used full power loads, the report while on guard duty would raise questions, not to mention disturb those trying to sleep. There was enough background noise as it was. I used to say while everyone back home slept to the sound of crickets, we heard .50's going off in the distance as well as small arms.

So some of us would pull the bullets, dump some of the powder and then push the bullet back in. I always brought my cleaning rod with me in case the bullet didn't make it out the barrel. (I read years later in a reloading manual that the H110 powder that was probably used in the carbine round should not be used with a reduced load). That happened one night when I tried to shoot one of those huge rats we sometimes saw. I still remember wanting to shoot the rat so bad and looking at the M60. Some guys would do that and then not own up to it causing the whole compound to go on alert. Then I'd have to light the sky up with my 81 mortar flares for an hour or so until they let us go back to bed.

Sometimes i'd get shotgun shells from the gate guards and then cut up the buck shot into small pieces for the rats. I'd reduce the powder charge, lay a layer of melted wax down, then the shot and another wad. they worked pretty good but not as good as the load I made with my dog tag chains. I still remember that rat jumping about a foot straight up, flipping over and landing on his back dead. I should have had Dad mail me some #9 shot. Just something to do when I was not playing the harmonica along that river or watching the small boats go by at night.
    I have heard more than one vet mention the rats. It makes me wonder why pellet rifles were not purchased to help reduce the rodent population. Perhaps their number was so great that popping them would have had no big effect. I think that because the local people ate rats, our military did not use poison to kill them.

User Tag List