Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DSLR camera RFI

Finally something I’m actually somewhat qualified to comment about.

My first career was PJ (photojournalist, not pararescue) and I still keep my hand in, pretty deeply actually.

The suggestion you look at mirrorless is very good. I’m a four decade plus Nikon user (although I have other systems for different needs) and am slowly transitioning from DSLRs to mirrorless. In my case I went with a Z6 because I needed the best possible low light performance.

Can you tell us some examples of what you’d like to photograph? How will you use the images - print, web display, posters? How big and dexterous are your hands and fingers (serious question)?

Give me a chance and I can make your bank account scream...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Finally something I’m actually somewhat qualified to comment about.

My first career was PJ (photojournalist, not pararescue) and I still keep my hand in, pretty deeply actually.

The suggestion you look at mirrorless is very good. I’m a four decade plus Nikon user (although I have other systems for different needs) and am slowly transitioning from DSLRs to mirrorless. In my case I went with a Z6 because I needed the best possible low light performance.

Can you tell us some examples of what you’d like to photograph? How will you use the images - print, web display, posters? How big and dexterous are your hands and fingers (serious question)?

Give me a chance and I can make your bank account scream...
    I wear an XL size glove. Dexterity is good.

I’d like to print off the better shots, and maybe even do some posters for personal use and gifts. Until I’m fairly good with the equipment, I don’t see a lot of web display, per se, but eventually, yeah, absolutely.

Examples of what I’d like to photograph - I’m really into nature, macro shots of flowers and various textured objects have been what I’ve done mostly. I’d like to get into being able to do better long range stuff, rather than being stuck in the macro world (think, nice shots at Crater Lake, Yosemite, etc ). Obviously want to take good beach/water photos as well. Also an *extremely* attractive companion that I think would make a very good test subject for my photography skills, as well.

Low light performance would be a consideration, but I’m not sure I’d say I need the *best* low light performance on the market by any means.

I’ll text you some photos I’ve taken, to give you an idea what I’m capable of.
    Last edited by Dan_S; 04-02-2020 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    I wear an XL size glove. Dexterity is good.

I’d like to print off the better shots, and maybe even do some posters for personal use and gifts. Until I’m fairly good with the equipment, I don’t see a lot of web display, per se, but eventually, yeah, absolutely.

Examples of what I’d like to photograph - I’m really into nature, macro shots of flowers and various textured objects have been what I’ve done mostly. I’d like to get into being able to do better long range stuff, rather than being stuck in the macro world (think, nice shots at Crater Lake, Yosemite, etc ). Obviously want to take good beach/water photos as well. Also an *extremely* attractive companion that I think would make a very good test subject for my photography skills, as well.

Low light performance would be a consideration, but I’m not sure I’d say I need the *best* low light performance on the market by any means.

I’ll text you some photos I’ve taken, to give you an idea what I’m capable of.
    Sounds good!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Until I’m fairly good with the equipment . . .

I’d like to get into being able to do better long range stuff, rather than being stuck in the macro world (think, nice shots at Crater Lake, Yosemite, etc ). Obviously want to take good beach/water photos as well. Also an *extremely* attractive companion that I think would make a very good test subject for my photography skills, as well.

An alternative to consider, if you're not sure which lenses you might want to complement a particular body, is to go with one of the ultra-zoom fixed-lens cameras, use it a while, and then you'll have a better idea of which focal length(s) you favor.

Looking back at the last Nikon outfit I had, other than the bodies, there were the 12-24mm, the 24-70mm, the 70-200mm, all in f/2.8, and then an 80-400mm. Oh, and a macro lens and flash, and a polarizer. That was my "travel" fishing kit, carried in a Pelican case. It was fine in a drift boat, or flats boat. Not so much so carried on a trout stream wade trip, where I used a waterproof backpack - - - "safe", but totally not handy. And expensive.

Conversely, something like a Sony RX-10 V4 (or whatever the latest iteration is), covers the equivalent of 24 - 600mm. A smaller sensor and all that, but still quite good results. And a porter isn't required to carry your gear. Even smaller is the RX-100, a true pocket camera. Anyway, the idea being to perhaps not jump in whole hog until you decide what you need. One example is that some aftermarket lenses (e.g., non-Nikon or -Canon) can be relatively poor (image- or construction-wise), but others can be quite good, and less expensive.

Another place to get some ideas of what others are using for "nature" photography is www.naturescapes.net, and search through the various forum topics.

The great thing is that everybody has stepped up their game. The bad is that provides you with even more choices to sort through. "Full frame" (35mm equivalent) vs. smaller sensor (1" or M4/3), DSLR vs. mirrorless, on and on . . . @HeavyDuty was absolutely correct, it's easy to make your bank account scream.

Sounds like most of you know what you are doing. I, on the hand, do not!

Nikon is providing free online classes:
    https://www.nikonevents.com/us/live/...school-online/

A few years ago my wife wanted a "nice" camera for our overseas trip. A guy on M4C was selling a Nikon D7000 and I scooped up the package which included a lot of stuff. This was in 2015.

I have not used most of these things other than messing with the three lenses. I bought a book on how to use the D7000 and never read it. I mostly use the dang automatic mode and it works great for pictures and videos.

I am hoping the free Nikon online classes can give me a little better understanding on using a DSLR, although I can't see buying something to replace this Nikon.

Nikon D7000

Nikon Lenses:
    18-55mm
    55-200mm
    50mm (Prime lens can be used on FX as well)

Each lens comes with a soft case, lens cap and set of bayonet hoods.

Rode External Microphone ($170 new)
    Tripod
    Lens cleaning kit (solution, towels, scrubs)
    16 gig SD Card
    External Flash
    Software suite
    Filters (U/V, Polarizing)

I don't know if all DSLR cameras can be run in all manual mode or not. My first 35mm was a Pentax K1000 film camera. All settings were manual and I learned a lot using that camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I don't know if all DSLR cameras can be run in all manual mode or not. My first 35mm was a Pentax K1000 film camera. All settings were manual and I learned a lot using that camera.
    Ha! that was my first camera also. Lots of good memories with that one.

I don't know about all DSLRs, but my particular Nikons and Canons do have full manual capabilities.

cc

Looking for a good DSLR camera, and lens recommendations. Budget, not of primary importance as I want a capable camera (think, taking photos in Maldives) but I don’t need the *latest* models and such.

Canon or Nikon?

For a three lens set (including a good macro lens) what should I be looking at?

Any retailers I should look into, or avoid?

Thanks.
    How do conditions in The Maldives differ from your home town?

Canon or Nikon? I like Canon AND Nikon. It is not a zero-sum game. Each makes some things that the other does not, each makes some things better than the other. I love specific lenses, made by each, to much to quit either. My wife is dedicated to Nikon, so we realize some level of economy by sharing Nikon-mount lenses, especially in the expensive, heavy telephoto category.

Macro? There is a clear winner, here: Canon, because Nikon stopped caring about macro some number of years ago. Canon, because the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS. (IS = Image Stabilization.) Canon, because of the Macro Ring Lite flash, and the twin-light flash. Nikon’s macro flash system has to be assembled, for a shoot, as it does not travel well unless broken-down. Canon became my primary system because of its macro equipment, when I was doing evidentiary/forensic/crime scene photography.

Serious flash, to mount on top of the camera, in the hot shoe? Canon surpassed Nikon, in this regard, with the 580EX II. The subsequent 600EX-RT added refinements. Canon’s top-tier Speedlites are nicely water-resistant.

I am not sating that Nikon camera are poor performers with flash. The best currently-made flash units to mount on top of a Nikon camera are made by Metz, in my opinion.

If auto-focus performance is important, and one prefers Nikon, well, Nikon introduced Group Area AF, in the D750 and D4s cameras. Then, in 2016, Nikon introduced a while new generation of AF, in the D5 and D500, and in the D850, in 2017. If birds-in-flight, with busy backgrounds, is your thing, the AF performance would be a good reason to buy a D750 or newer camera body.

I am not saying that there is anything wrong with Canon AF. Nikon moved into the lead, with the D5, D500, and D850, but, with a good lens, I know that the Canon 5D Mark IV can hold its own, against the Nikon competition.

I would not try to recommend a three-lens kit, unless I knew more about what the questioner prefers to photograph. Ultra-wide-angle photography is an acquired taste, as is birds/wildlife. A wedding/event shooter’s pro zoom “trinity” would be far more weight/bulk than I would want to carry while being touristy.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-03-2020 at 09:14 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Ken Rockwell is like the gun reviewer of the camera world, hasn't met anything he doesn't like.
    Ken Rockwell is the Hickock45 of photography.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Now, I'm mostly using Sony RX-100 and RX-10 cameras (both fixed zoom lenses).
    I have DSLRs I use for work, DSLRs and mirrorless cameras I use for play because I'm a total gear nerd (hey, when guns became work, I needed to find something that could be a hobby!), but I absolutely never leave the house without an O.G. Sony RX100. That is such a phenomenal camera for being the size of a deck of cards. I didn't think anything would replace my beloved Nikon P7000 as a daily shirt pocket camera, but the RX100 just has me smitten.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List