Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DSLR camera RFI

About a year ago I bought DSLR cameras for 2 of the grandkids. The older one already had a Canon.

Carefully read what is included in the "kits" if you go that way. A lot of junk could be included. For example, OEM brand lenses vs. after market.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    About a year ago I bought DSLR cameras for 2 of the grandkids. The older one already had a Canon.

Carefully read what is included in the "kits" if you go that way. A lot of junk could be included. For example, OEM brand lenses vs. after market.
    Oh yeah, for sure!

Pay attention to the size and form of the camera as a trade off for tech specs. I recently bought a Nikon D5600. I was sort of geeking for a step or two higher, but realized that I didn't want to carry anything bigger while hiking. Since it will see a lot of it's use while I'm on foot a long way from the truck, that was a big consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    Pay attention to the size and form of the camera as a trade off for tech specs. I recently bought a Nikon D5600. I was sort of geeking for a step or two higher, but realized that I didn't want to carry anything bigger while hiking. Since it will see a lot of it's use while I'm on foot a long way from the truck, that was a big consideration.
    That’s the trade off I’m willing to make, however. I’ll take a larger/older format camera to get a lower cost/nicer camera reward.

You might also look at mirrorless cameras; I switched from Nikon DSLR's to the Fuji-X system and have been very happy. The quality of the Fuji lenses stomps the comparably priced Nikon lenses I had. Unless you are shooting fast action, need super-telephoto capability, or need the absolutely most physically durable system, I think the Fuji X system is worth a look. If I were buying new for a trip the Maldives I'd buy:

Fuji XT-3
    Fuji 16-80 f/4
    Fuji 90mm f/2 (with a Canon 500D close-up diopter; basically a screw-in magnifier for close-ups)
    Four extra batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    You might also look at mirrorless cameras; I switched from Nikon DSLR's to the Fuji-X system and have been very happy. The quality of the Fuji lenses stomps the comparably priced Nikon lenses I had. Unless you are shooting fast action, need super-telephoto capability, or need the absolutely most physically durable system, I think the Fuji X system is worth a look. If I were buying new for a trip the Maldives I'd buy:

Fuji XT-3
    Fuji 16-80 f/4
    Fuji 90mm f/2 (with a Canon 500D close-up diopter; basically a screw-in magnifier for close-ups)
    Four extra batteries.
    That's some good advice right there. I may have to upgrade from the XT-1 to the XT-3... but the iPhone 11 Pro is so good for its size that I've been using it for a lot of applications that used to require a real camera.

Also, I use my 10-24 F4 quite a bit.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

When I was shopping, I found these reviews helpful.

Ken Rockwell is like the gun reviewer of the camera world, hasn't met anything he doesn't like.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    When I was shopping, I found these reviews helpful.
    I like dpreview. https://www.dpreview.com/

I got a Canon EOS 6D and a Tamron 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD Zoom Lens for Canon EF Cameras. This lets me take macro-like pictures and do animals at hundreds of yards.

Maybe look at what lenses you want, and then pick a camera? DPReview has lots of recommendation articles for both cameras and lenses. I don't like used cameras--you have no idea how long they're going to last. At least new you have a warranty.

I got a DSLR but my next camera will be a mirrorless. My wife can't use DSLRs because the screen/view going blank is too much like a flashing light for her, and can trigger disabling migraines. (Probably a mirrorless four-thirds camera. Trade off is smaller sensor but lenses act longer than the 35mm equivalent.)
    Last edited by Tod-13; 04-02-2020 at 02:30 PM.

As Tod-13 just said, go to dpreview.com, and look under reviews. They have individual cameras, as well as groups of similar-type cameras (e.g., "best travel cameras", best cameras under $xxx), reviewed. And they have a feature where you can compare pros/cons of several cameras.

I was a long-time Nikon user, eventually switched to a M4/3 system to save weight and space. Now, I'm mostly using Sony RX-100 and RX-10 cameras (both fixed zoom lenses). Sony has, in recent years, come out with some superb DSLR bodies and sensors (e.g., A7r4, with 60mp+ full-frame sensor). 'Tain't cheap, but neither are the top-end Nikon/Canon models. Plus, if you get the fast/long/wide lenses, the price of the body becomes, well, not insignificant, but sort of a down payment on the system.

But those dpreview.com reviews are pretty impartial and thorough, and should help immensely.

User Tag List