Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DSLR camera RFI

DSLR camera RFI

Looking for a good DSLR camera, and lens recommendations. Budget, not of primary importance as I want a capable camera (think, taking photos in Maldives) but I don’t need the *latest* models and such.

Canon or Nikon?

For a three lens set (including a good macro lens) what should I be looking at?

Any retailers I should look into, or avoid?

Thanks.

Site Supporter

B&H photo and Adorama are two internet companies I’ve had good purchasing experiences with.

Cameras are very much like firearms. There are people who are strong fans of one brand or another, and some who want to be a little different (Sony, Pentax…..)

Also just like firearms, there are a number of people who always want the latest and greatest, and trade often. Thus you can find some good deals on barely used cameras. Also Canon and Nikon themselves sell refurbished current hotness models for a good discount and include a warranty.

Typically Canon has the most support from other companies (lenses particularly) , kind of like Glocks. Canon usually has more of their own lenses available than Nikon too, although I haven’t looked in a year or so for lenses so things may have changed.

Personally, there are plenty of camera reviews out there on youtube and such. Make yourself a list, watch them, pick one which has an interface that you like, then find the best deal on it.

Most people are not going to be able to determine a major quality difference In photos from similar scale cameras from different companies (low end vs mid line vs high end), unless you “pixel peek”

cc

I have a older Nikon d500 with not many miles on it and 2 lenses. I haven’t used it in some time, I can get you info on it this evening if you would like. I’m sure we could make a decent deal for both parties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    If you want to shop used, KEH Camera Brokers or Roberts would be my choices. Buying one or two models behind the current can get you a pro full frame body for the same price as a current high-end consumer body. Ten years ago buying used didn't make as much sense because camera tech advanced by leaps and bounds for the first decade of the millennium, but for the last ten years things have been more evolutionary than revolutionary.

Canon or Nikon doesn't make much difference, I have and use both.

When you say that budget isn't a big deal, how big of a deal isn't it? Like, a thousand dollars no big deal, or five thousand dollars no big deal?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

While my personal preference is Nikon, based on my past experiences with film camera's, I would likely go with Cannon, because of family that has them, and lenses swap between several generations. (no reason to buy a lens for one use)

Budget would be helpful. Lots of good stuff across the range of pricing, but need a little more to hone in on something. Most cameras are damn near the same when it boils down to the end result.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

@Tamara

The budget requirements (or lack thereof?) is due to the fact that when I set out looking for something with which I’m relatively unfamiliar, I don’t want the hardware to be the limiting factor in my ability. I’m not setting an arbitrary budget, and missing out on what I *really* want because of that. Not sure if that makes sense, but I hope it does.

I have a wee bit of experience dabbling with photography, and definitely came up against the limits of the camera, which was rather frustrating. As a result, I had been somewhat limited into what the camera could do well (macro shots) which I actually enjoy, but...there’s more to life than macro shots.

@JM Campbell

Text inbound.

Everyone thinks budget doesn't matter, until they find out what the real pricing is.

My wife is a mostly-retired wedding photographer. She was a Nikon user. When we first met I asked her "Canon or Nikon". Had she replied "Canon" I'm not sure we'd be married today

In all seriousness, if you haven't already, take a look at the micro 4/3s market. There are real-deal professional photographers making the switch, particularly those that are not stuck in a studio but are shooting action, outdoors, etc. Much smaller, you're never going to see the difference in images you're not printing out to 10ftx10ft, etc.

7DmkII, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro, 17-55mm f/2.8, and a 70-200 f/2.8 L IS are what I'd be eyeing up in the dSLR realm with some kind of budget in mind.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List