Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt staking photos?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

Colt staking photos?

OK, I have a Starrett automatic center punch and know how to use it. Want to be cooler than that. Not that anyone else cares, I just like looking at work I've done and feeling good about it. I know Colt does square stakes, and I like the look of it. I also like that it fills more of the notch in the nut, so as the nut backs off into the stake, it runs into more of a wall than a ramp with a round stake. There's lots of discussion about how Colt uses a fixture and press to create these. I have presses and can build fixtures. Having worked in manufacturing management, I also understand that using a fixture and press may just be required to get consistent, neat results when the people doing the work are UAW members. I can also do careful hand work.

What I'd really like to get my head around is a better vision of what I may be trying to recreate. I don't have access to a Colt to look at the stakes. There are limited macro photos of actual Colt castle nut staking that Google is finding for me. Really only one view, this one here, which is discussed as an original Colt stake: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/wp-co..._-1024x768.jpg

It's not clear to me what tool made that and how it moved. Is it a v-shaped punch? Or square, and rode the displaced material downward and outward from its starting point out into the slot?

Can someone with a 6920 sitting around maybe take some close-up photos from a couple different angles so I can see what's going on with the stakes?

Thanks in advance!
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I know I have some pics from when I was doing armory stuff, running M4A1s. I will dig them up tomorrow.

Site Supporter
    My 6920 has had the castle nut and end plate swapped several times, so I can't post a pic of Colt's staking...but the staking on my BCM is similar.

(Still trying to get add'l angles...having a hard time getting the camera to focus)

My brain was in thinking "Colt Bolt" for whatever reason...

These were from Colt M4A1s.

Here is a circa 2013 6920. It is plenty deep enough and squared up properly.

The side stake is not quite. It is a little shallow and if it came across my bench would get cleaned up/re-struck before it was issued. In reality, odds are it would probably be fine, but there is no reason to take a chance, and being one of those guys that worked both sides of the bench, I was OCD (or CDO) about making sure such details were looked at closely.

Sorry I can't get one with more focus.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Thanks to all of you!

It definitely looks like the gas key was done hydraulically or with some other automated process, but the Colt castle nuts are irregular enough I'm thinking hand work. Should be quite doable to grind a square punch and duplicate that.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Or just use a hardened flat tip screw driver tip of the proper size and grind down to the proper dimension. Cheaper than a quality punch.

I can see a manufacturer having a press and/or jig set up, but what do armorers use to hold and support everything when staking? What about the guy in his garage (aka me)?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List