Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: M-14- The Most Iconic Rifle In History

Loved the Dr. Strangelove clip.

cc

I enjoyed the video.

In all seriousness from me - I've always felt like the M-14 was the most ironic military rifle in history. Ironic, that 99% of the people who hype up the rifle have never shot nor carried one. You can always tell who has never shot an M1A/M14, because they always think the 16" SOCOM on the wall in the gunshop is "da best rifle in here". Never mind that gun has been "returned" three times and it still comes with 5 rounds of ammo left in the original 20-round box...Past owners could not be reached for comments, because they can't hear their phones ring anymore.

It's iconic- as a symbol of how a bloated, entrenched bureaucracy of old time thinkers can stretch and twist a couple of fairly simple ideas (put a box mag on a M-1, shorten the op system, and make it shoot a shorter cartridge) into a long and expensive process that only really accomplished the first two parts.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I enjoyed the video.

In all seriousness from me - I've always felt like the M-14 was the most ironic military rifle in history. Ironic, that 99% of the people who hype up the rifle have never shot nor carried one. You can always tell who has never shot an M1A/M14, because they always think the 16" SOCOM on the wall in the gunshop is "da best rifle in here". Never mind that gun has been "returned" three times and it still comes with 5 rounds of ammo left in the original 20-round box...Past owners could not be reached for comments, because they can't hear their phones ring anymore.
    For me, the issue is that there's no good way to mount an optic. At least not in any way that an AR variant can't do 10x better. MIA's have 'Murica written all over them, but there's better options to get a 7.62x51 from point A to point B.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Wow, it's like they took the collective consciousness of every Old Guy At The Range and condensed it into one video.
    Especially old Marines. God bless those old guys.

Now if you like the M1A/M-14, just buy a Ruger Mini. Same gas piston system and receiver in a 5.56 carbine. Mine runs great.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-01-2020 at 08:03 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I shot them a lot growing up as the son of a soldier on the Oklahoma National Guard rifle team. I love the way they look but that’s about where it ends.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Never carried one but got to shoot the match grade version out of Quantico. I loved it.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Especially old Marines. God bless those old guys.

Now if you like the M1A/M-14, just buy a Ruger Mini. Same gas piston system and receiver in a 5.56 carbine. Mine runs great.
    The Mini is more M1 Carbine than M14.

I love my M14 (which I got from my father) and I'll never get rid of it. I grew up with Garands, M1 Carbines, M-14s, surplus 1911s, Enfields, Springfields, SMLEs, Mausers and other old military weapons. I came late to the AR family of weapons, my first being a 20" Colt Competition HBar. I love my AR, but it doesn't have the same nostalgia
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    We had M14s (demilled) for ceremony use in JROTC in late 1970s. When I went to Ranger school in 1981 - M14s were used to simulate a squad automatic weapon (M249 SAW not issued yet). In my first and only "volunteer" mistake - I raised my hand when a Ranger Instructor innocently asked if any of the Ranger students knew how to clean a M14. So, I turned in my lightweight M16A1 and carried a long, heavy, awkward M14 with equally heavy magazines and heavy 7.62 blanks through the Mountain phase of Ranger school. I hated carrying the M14, mags, and ammo. Only positive was a M14 with blank adapter shoots a jet of fire. Once while clearing an objective, an OPFOR Soldier refused to come out from under an obstacle so he could be processed - being short tempered, hungry, sleepy, etc. - I used a jet of M14 blank fire on auto to encourage compliance. I got a butt chewing from a laughing RI. I was very happy to turn in the M14 and retrieve my M16A1 at end of Mountain phase. Since that experience, I am not a fan of M14s or any "full size 7.62 battle rifle". Whenever I hear someone waxing about the wonderfulness of the M14, etc. - I immediately ask if they ever actually carried one or used one - truck to rifle range does not count.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    For me, the issue is that there's no good way to mount an optic. At least not in any way that an AR variant can't do 10x better. MIA's have 'Murica written all over them, but there's better options to get a 7.62x51 from point A to point B.
    I think it’s not only the mounting that’s a pain for to me, it’s that you really need to scope it. A 16” M1A is about as useful as tits on a mule, so is a red dot on an M1A. Then I’m over here carrying a 10-pound gun that is either sub-optimal for urban stuff or sub-optimal for long range. A LPVO makes a lot of sense on an M1A, an ELCAN would too...except you know then it’s a 12-pound rifle.

I definitely think there was a time that the M1A/M14 had great value as an moderate range, light armor piercing weapon that had more firepower over a bolt gun. Certainly, we saw in the early days of the GWOT they offered advantages over 5.56 weapons. But these days the AR10 has advanced far enough to clearly be the better and more versatile platform.

I’d still love to have an EBR-clone. But honestly, I figured if I built one today, I’d use the 6.5CM M1A instead, because it’s pretty obvious now that 6.5CM is a superior cartridge.

I still love me some old school battle rifles though. In the book series I am writing about a French Foreign Legion paratrooper, he gets all retarded old school and uses a French MAS M49-56 MSE, basically the French version of M14 designated marksman rifles. And because fictional characters have infinite stamina and a book weighs less than a wood stocked moron rifle, it also has an ELCAN on top. Because anachronisms rule.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x8Nj3VAhNhM

User Tag List