Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Second Generation S&W question

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    +1 on the recoil spring. I have changed it in a few police-trade 3rd gens, and the difference racking the slide is dramatic. One that came out was ~1/2-5/8 shorter than the new one. Cheap insurance. Worth having extras on hand if you're actually going to shoot one of these. It's also not too expensive, or wasn't a few years ago, to throw fresh springs and followers in the mags.

I recall someone on here whose agency ran them saying you may see frame cracks starting around 30k rounds on the aluminum 9mms.

ETA: My experience is all with 9mms. It's possible they aren't quite as beefy as the .45s and .40s. It's one of the few service pistols where the 9mm and .40 are completely different frames. .45s bigger still, obviously.

I've divested from all my 3rd-gen double stacks, but have a handful of singles still around. Nothing else I've messed with quite hits the same intersecting point of big enough to be shootable while being as slim as these guns, although it's possible something in the P365/G48 range may take over that spot. I'm really waiting for the Vuurwappen hybrid, as I strongly prefer the Glock action and the Sig grip.
    I've read that more than once and i think it might be the one real point of concern over durability.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Personally, I'm way past the point of "need" when it comes to weapons. I've had that covered for a long time. My wife has stopped asking, "What do you need that for?" I think she's tired of hearing, "Because it's cool."
    One of my third gens had a bent trigger play spring. The trigger had a weird click in single action. I pushed it forward with a pencil eraser and it solved the issue. Trigger was fine. Either way, it’s not an essential part for the gun to function... as mentioned.

I own a 6904 (third gen) which seems like its more or less the same gun as the 469 and 669 (2nd gen). So I think you can use the same barrels, slides, mags, likely other parts, etc. from 6906s and 6904s. I love my 6904. Great size. Good shooter. 100% reliable. I think there was a recall on the 2nd, gen compacts, though? If I recall it had something to do with the half-cock notch, which I guess was eliminated at some point in the gun’s development.

Also, I’m not sure why I quoted Trooper 224 on this reply. But yeah... “need” is a unique concept when it comes to guns like these.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 03-31-2020 at 10:11 PM.

Parts option

Link to every gun part dot com. Looks to have mostly complete firearm parts bundled together, minus the frame. Kind of pricey compared to buying a single part. Just another resource to have bookmarked.

https://everygunpart.com/

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    I own a 6904 (third gen) which seems like its more or less the same gun as the 469 and 669 (2nd gen). So I think you can use the same barrels, slides, mags, likely other parts, etc. from 6906s and 6904s.
    Keep in mind that many 3rd gen parts are subject to requiring fitting, unlike more modern designs. So you may or may not be able to just swap parts from one gun into another. Sadly, the tools and gauging, manuals and armorers trained on the procedures are slowly disappearing.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

You're thinking of the trigger play spring, not the trigger return spring, two different things. The TRS is a coil spring that's easily replaced. The TPS is a leaf affair riveted to the trigger stirrup. The TPS is easy to bend, then break. It's purpose is to minimize trigger slop in SA mode. It isn't neccessary for vital function and several LE agencies requested it be left off their pistols

The TPS on my 4566 is broken off and I haven't felt the need to replace it. I haven't dug into a 2nd Gen. Pistol, but I think those parts largely remained unchanged.
    The above is correct. The trigger play spring on my M559 (2nd generation blued carbon steel frame predecessor of the M5906) is broken. The one on my M59 (1st generation) is still intact.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Keep in mind that many 3rd gen parts are subject to requiring fitting, unlike more modern designs. So you may or may not be able to just swap parts from one gun into another. Sadly, the tools and gauging, manuals and armorers trained on the procedures are slowly disappearing.
    The extractor, sear release lever and barrel are the only parts that require fitting. Out of the eighty some parts in the gun, I wouldn't call that "many".
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Personally, I'm way past the point of "need" when it comes to weapons. I've had that covered for a long time. My wife has stopped asking, "What do you need that for?" I think she's tired of hearing, "Because it's cool."
    My reply to the Bride regarding such questions is “Need has nothing to do with it”.
    The subject of this discussion is the potential purchase of a Glock 44.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    My reply to the Bride regarding such questions is “Need has nothing to do with it”.
    The subject of this discussion is the potential purchase of a Glock 44.
    But a G44 is such a cool gun, the Bride would likely appreciate it.

Timely discussion for me.

I'm bringing my like-new 5906 out of museum retirement, figuring I may as well enjoy it while I still can. Purchased new in 1989 for my wife (who never ended up embracing shooting), it has remained a safe queen for the last 30 years with an extremely low round count.

I ordered a Milt Sparks 55BN that is due to arrive late July, at which point I'll start packing it when I feel like "dressing up." My 1.5" steel-lined leather belt, also not used in ages, remains in good shape though it has lost two out of the three Chicago screws. Easy fix, I have some replacements inbound. Finally, the leather double-mag belt carrier I purchased at the same time will also be brought out of storage. The new holster, belt and mag carrier are brown and should look good together, all representative of the typical carry gear of the day. One thing is certain though: at 37 ounces unloaded, the 5906 is not going to become my EDC piece.

I have some A-Zoom snap caps inbound so I can get back into the TDA swing of things with dry firing. My focus will be double-action trigger manipulation strong hand only, which is certainly more challenging than the same with my PPS and PPQ. I never tried 147s in the 5906, but my plan is to load her up with standard pressure 147 HST2s when I take the old gal out on a date.

Should be fun, I'm looking forward to getting reacquainted with it.

Site Supporter
    I find deactivating the safety on the S&W more difficult than on the Beretta 92. Yes it’s a TDA so maybe you don’t need the safety, but that was just my experience. Has anyone else noticed this?

My hands are on the smaller side so that may be the issue.

User Tag List