Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Second Generation S&W question

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Yes, I have shot it. Shoots fine
    I've seen 3rd gens with the rods slightly protruding before. Seems to be fairly common. I'd guess it's not really an issue? But they could definitely tell you over on the Smith forum.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Thanks. That makes sense. I'm guessing if the thing's been going strong since 86 or whatever, it does not constitute any concern for durability.
    I have three 5906s all which I bought way back when I started in LE, two of which remain unfired (they go to the kids).

The 5906 was the issued weapon for my first department and even at that early date, it was clear to me that the platform really worked well for me.

The 5906 that I have fired (over the last 30+ years) has a similar ''defect'' along the barrel's exterior about an inch from the muzzle (about ⅓ the size of what you've got). It's never been an issue and I'll bet the gun will out-live me in any event.

If I've got any regrets, it's that I didn't have the foresight enough to pick up a couple of the 1006s, but then, hind-sight is 20/20.

I'd love to see S&W reintroduce the 3rd Gens again, but I suspect that that will not happen anytime soon. If they did, I'd be in for those 1006s...at least three of 'em.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    I have three 5906s all which I bought way back when I started in LE, two of which remain unfired (they go to the kids).

The 5906 was the issued weapon for my first department and even at that early date, it was clear to me that the platform really worked well for me.

The 5906 that I have fired (over the last 30+ years) has a similar ''defect'' along the barrel's exterior about an inch from the muzzle (about ⅓ the size of what you've got). It's never been an issue and I'll bet the gun will out-live me in any event.

If I've got any regrets, it's that I didn't have the foresight enough to pick up a couple of the 1006s, but then, hind-sight is 20/20.

I'd love to see S&W reintroduce the 3rd Gens again, but I suspect that that will not happen anytime soon. If they did, I'd be in for those 1006s...at least three of 'em.
    Thanks for the insight. I'd love to see something from a 3rd gen lineage come back, too. Modernized and upgraded. Something like what Sig did with the P210 or Colt just did with the Python.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Thanks for the insight. I'd love to see something from a 3rd gen lineage come back, too. Modernized and upgraded. Something like what Sig did with the P210 or Colt just did with the Python.
    I don't wish for that because they'd undoubtedly f' it up just like Sig and Colt did. They'd also be more expensive than any of us would be willing to pay. At this point, I'd just be happy if MecGar would start making a 4506 magazine. I try to keep my expectations low.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    I wish someone would make parts for them.

If they made them today, I would expect the price to be well north of $1K. For a heavy, TDA gun that doesn't have the cachet of a 1911, HK or SIG, that's a non-starter. I wouldn't buy one at that price.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I don’t understand why the prices on a Third Gen would have to be that high. The Beretta 92 can be had south of a grand easy. Why couldn’t the Smiths come in just a little under $1K?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I don’t understand why the prices on a Third Gen would have to be that high. The Beretta 92 can be had south of a grand easy. Why couldn’t the Smiths come in just a little under $1K?
    Beretta 92: production volume, demand, constant production and maintenance and updating of the production line, trained production staff. Essentially one gun, with minor variations, in only two calibers, and it’s still being made in two production facilities. I bought a new one a few years ago, and it’s a excellent gun that I can get any part I need in just a few days. Keeping standard models on the shelf at relatively inexpensive prices is easy.

Third Gen S&W: mass production ceased over ten years ago, all production ended sometime since then. Demand is much lower, production lines are making other things, workers who knew that product line are either out of practice because they’ve been making something else, they’re working somewhere else, or they’ve retired. Lots of guns in lots of sizes and variations in every standard and weird caliber ever used since 1950. Parts are a look a lot, hope a lot, get disappointed a lot, and maybe even buy a spare gun for a spare parts kit situation.

Getting them back to production would require someone to fund the process, that would be an expensive process, and that would be on the consumers willing to spend the money. I doubt anyone is willing to spend the amount needed to produce more 3rd gens. S&W isn’t.

I’ve owned 4 3rd gens, and I love them. Still have 2, and would get another under the right circumstances. But I carry Glocks and Jframes, and not much else nowadays.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Beretta 92: production volume, demand, constant production and maintenance and updating of the production line, trained production staff. Essentially one gun, with minor variations, in only two calibers, and it’s still being made in two production facilities. I bought a new one a few years ago, and it’s a excellent gun that I can get any part I need in just a few days. Keeping standard models on the shelf at relatively inexpensive prices is easy.

Third Gen S&W: mass production ceased over ten years ago, all production ended sometime since then. Demand is much lower, production lines are making other things, workers who knew that product line are either out of practice because they’ve been making something else, they’re working somewhere else, or they’ve retired. Lots of guns in lots of sizes and variations in every standard and weird caliber ever used since 1950. Parts are a look a lot, hope a lot, get disappointed a lot, and maybe even buy a spare gun for a spare parts kit situation.

Getting them back to production would require someone to fund the process, that would be an expensive process, and that would be on the consumers willing to spend the money. I doubt anyone is willing to spend the amount needed to produce more 3rd gens. S&W isn’t.

I’ve owned 4 3rd gens, and I love them. Still have 2, and would get another under the right circumstances. But I carry Glocks and Jframes, and not much else nowadays.
    Good points. At the end of the day, I just don't think Smith sees a market in 2020 for a $1000+, all-metal, DA/SA gun. I can't imagine they get too many respondents in focus groups saying, "Ooo, bring out a modernized iteration of the Model 39 with a melonite finish, G10 grips and a squared-off ejection port lockup instead of circular lug!" I'm being facetious, of course. But I tend to think the market calls for things like Shields with more bullets and fancy 1911s, not resurrections of DA/SA LE guns from the 90s.

That said... what's that famous Henry Ford quote? "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."

I tend to think a modernized (and gorgeous) 39/59/69, etc. with melonite, G10, etc. would probably sell. People buy Smith 1911s for a grand. Why not a sexy-looking single stack (or double) that likely fits their hands better and has this nifty thing called "decocker" (huh, huh) that lets you carry with the hammer down. And we'd buy one. And most of the guys on the Smith forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    At this point, I'd just be happy if MecGar would start making a 4506 magazine.
    That would be awesome! I know someone who could use about a dozen of them... Would make a great Christmas or birthday gift.
    Last edited by That Guy; 04-12-2020 at 02:37 PM. Reason: messed up the quote.

User Tag List