Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Second Generation S&W question

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I find deactivating the safety on the S&W more difficult than on the Beretta 92. Yes it’s a TDA so maybe you don’t need the safety, but that was just my experience. Has anyone else noticed this?

My hands are on the smaller side so that may be the issue.
    I have the same issue and have to really shift my grip to deactivate the safety. I like the S&W autos, but they are only range pistols for me.

Site Supporter
    I find deactivating the safety on the S&W more difficult than on the Beretta 92. Yes it’s a TDA so maybe you don’t need the safety, but that was just my experience. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Years ago, there was an extended safety lever available for the 3rd Gens. (can't remember who made them...Ed Brown?). I installed one on my 4506 and it made a considerable difference in the ease of operation.

In the early 90's I bought a 6906 for CCW soon after turning 21, then bought a 5946 that carried me through the academy. Soon after graduating I jumped on the Glock bandwagon and sold them both for G22/19. I later briefly carried a 4046 and the 4506 but wound up selling those also...the 4506 to my Dad.

This thread reminds me how much I loved those guns...might have to find another one.

I have had a M4046 that I have kept with a Glock 23 as my "If you cannot get 9x19 or .45 ACP ammo, you can probably find .40 S&W" pistols. The M4046 has a very nice DAO trigger and gets around the issue with the safety lever being difficult for my short fingers.

My hands are on the smaller side so that may be the issue.
    A mechanical safety on a TDA pistol is a unneeded bit of governmental redundancy. There's no need to carry one on-safe,so disengaging the safety on the draw shouldn't be an issue.

For me, I prefer the S&W safety design to the Beretta. The levers themselves are more rounded, with more resistance during manipulation. All of which lessens the likelihood of inadvertently engaging the safety. It's also a more simplified design than the Beretta unit, which makes disassembly easier. Also, the left hand lever on the Beretta is just a bit higher then the S&W, whether you're using Beretta's standard unit or the G conversion. During left-handed manipulation I find the S&W lever easier to manipulate. I'm not about to dump my 92's and go exclusively 3rd Gen. S&W, but there's a lot I like about these pistols.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

5906 barrel

I have a 5906 that I bought used years ago. Occasionally I would look on MidwayUSA (over the years) to see what parts would roll in. I did manage to purchase a new slide stop and grip (arched). I also purchased a new barrel. It seems that the barrel hood is available in two different widths. Well I got the right width and it fit fine.......with one exception. It seems the recoil spring guide rod sticks out about a 1/16 of an inch further with the new barrel when compared to the old barrel. I don't have the tools to measure a barrel to barrel comparison. But eyeballing the two side by side, they seem the same. Can anyone venture a guess as to why this is? I don't stay up at night thinking about it, just curious, that's all.

The cut-out on the barrel where the rear of the guide rod nests appears the same on both barrels.

Site Supporter

Since we’re on the subject of 2nd gens...

The barrel on my 645 has these... striations? that sorta snake around the circumference. You can see it a half inch or so above the locking lug. Anyone notice anything like that on their Smiths?

I’ve put hundreds of rounds through it over the years, just assuming it was a machining slip or something—the pistol has its share of cosmetic imperfections. But I got to thinking there’s an off chance it’s some kinda metal fatigue, etc.

Name:  8DF24A60-1584-44B8-9FD6-7D1DAEDFA17C.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  33.3 KBName:  D36B2C70-514C-432F-9E8C-F23CF72692AC.jpg
Size:  32.6 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    I have a 5906 that I bought used years ago. Occasionally I would look on MidwayUSA (over the years) to see what parts would roll in. I did manage to purchase a new slide stop and grip (arched). I also purchased a new barrel. It seems that the barrel hood is available in two different widths. Well I got the right width and it fit fine.......with one exception. It seems the recoil spring guide rod sticks out about a 1/16 of an inch further with the new barrel when compared to the old barrel. I don't have the tools to measure a barrel to barrel comparison. But eyeballing the two side by side, they seem the same. Can anyone venture a guess as to why this is? I don't stay up at night thinking about it, just curious, that's all.

The cut-out on the barrel where the rear of the guide rod nests appears the same on both barrels.
    I would have guessed the little cut-out where the rod nests might be a place that needs fitting... but if it looks the same... maybe not.

What about locking lug around the barrel? Or the angled thingies on the sides that cam the barrel? (are those "lugs" too?) But I'm just guessing. I really have no idea.

Have you shot it with the new barrel?

Yes, I have shot it. Shoots fine

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    The barrel on my 645 has these... striations? that sorta snake around the circumference. You can see it a half inch or so above the locking lug. Anyone notice anything like that on their Smiths?

I’ve put hundreds of rounds through it over the years, just assuming it was a machining slip or something—the pistol has its share of cosmetic imperfections. But I got to thinking there’s an off chance it’s some kinda metal fatigue, etc.

Name:  8DF24A60-1584-44B8-9FD6-7D1DAEDFA17C.jpg
Size:  33.3 KBName:  D36B2C70-514C-432F-9E8C-F23CF72692AC.jpg
Size:  32.6 KB
    Those look more like voids that occurred during the barrel blank forging process. The machining seems to have passed over it.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Those look more like voids that occurred during the barrel blank forging process. The machining seems to have passed over it.
    Thanks. That makes sense. I'm guessing if the thing's been going strong since 86 or whatever, it does not constitute any concern for durability.

User Tag List