Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Home network help?

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Settings being?

I looked at the page on github on piholes.

https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole

Looks like you would need to set the DNS manually to the pihole, instead of getting it from the ISP. FWIW my Nighhawk R7900P with the latest firmware has this ability, under Advanced, under Domain Name Server Address.

Would that not work?
    It'd work fine, but the router I have presently doesn't allow me to tweak those settings, and it isn't supported by open source firmware. I just picked up a Linksys router that advertises being compatible with OpenWrt so that I can screw with it at leisure. I'll keep the schmancy router around as a backup for when I inevitably bone something and have to get the Internet working before I get kicked out of the house.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    It'd work fine, but the router I have presently doesn't allow me to tweak those settings, and it isn't supported by open source firmware. I just picked up a Linksys router that advertises being compatible with OpenWrt so that I can screw with it at leisure. I'll keep the schmancy router around as a backup for when I inevitably bone something and have to get the Internet working before I get kicked out of the house.
    That should work. I bought a Linksys router and reflashed it with DD-WRT. From the Goodwill Store. For $2 (I wanted that one because it had an external RP-SMA connector for an antenna I wanted to mess with. But I leave the "house" router alone lol - my wife would skin me alive if I messed up the internet.

Good luck with your project. Hope it works out.

User Tag List