Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home network help?

My 2 cents...it's great to have things hardwired when you can, but if it were me, I would still want solid wifi throughout the house.

Your Asus router supports AiMesh, which allows multiple Asus routers/repeaters to work together to expand your wireless coverage. So you could put your current Asus router in the cabinet connected directly to the modem, put another Asus AiMesh-compatible device on the other side of the house, and use one of your CAT5e lines to connect one of the LAN ports on your current router to the WAN port on the new device. Once the new node is configured to know your original router is the boss, your wifi devices will connect to whichever Asus device gives them a stronger signal, and in theory at least should transition seamlessly as you move through the house. You can also use the LAN ports on the new node to connect wired devices to your network in the other room, just as if you had connected a switch. (Of course you can still add a switch too if you need even more ports.) The new Asus device could be another RT-AC1900P router, or a RP-AC1900 repeater, or any other Asus product that supports AiMesh and has similar wireless specifications. While you would have to go through the steps to configure the new Asus device, nothing would change about how you configure your laptops, phones, etc. to connect to the network.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    I am going to disagree with TheRoland some, because the wires take communication both ways and a lot of what you need to do, can be done via software settings.
    You should certainly try this, because you have all the stuff, and maybe it'll work and then you're done.

In your configuration, make sure you have the Asus set as the gateway.
    If you read the manual I'll not disagree with you, but I thought it unlikely the wireless router was going to support assigning itself an external IP and offering DHCP on the same port. If it does, great! But even if it does, I don't think that's sufficient, because the router will be trying to reach its NATed addresses and the public internet through the same layer 2 domain, so he'll probably have to setup VLANs, which is a pain.

Thanks again.
    Is your system set up for DHCP, or do you have fixed addresses?
    I have the router set up for DHCP (according to the ASUS app that "controls" the router settings. I have Windows 10 on my laptop.
    I obtain my IP, from my DHCP server, on most of my computers. Things like my Print server, uses a fixed IP address, and I block it from internet access, via the firewall software. Then in a separate room, I installed an ad blocker/DNS server on a Raspberry PI, and direct some of my computers to go through that, while others typically go through your ISP, or are set to Google, OpenDNS, etc.
    I don't know what that means, sorry.

After work, I hooked the modem to the D-Link switch in port 1, and attached the ethernet cable that runs to the router in port 2. I've hooked all the other ethernet cables to other ports. I then went to one of the jacks in another room, and hooked up the laptop. I get message in Windows that there is an "Unidentified Network" "No Internet" for an ethernet connection. Trying to diagnose the connection gives me "Problems found, 'Ethernet' doesn't have a valid IP configuration"

I have no idea how set my router as a "gateway."

With everything hooked up that way the Wi-Fi still works, on both the 2.4G and 5G signals.

I'm stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    My 2 cents...it's great to have things hardwired when you can, but if it were me, I would still want solid wifi throughout the house.

Your Asus router supports AiMesh, which allows multiple Asus routers/repeaters to work together to expand your wireless coverage. So you could put your current Asus router in the cabinet connected directly to the modem, put another Asus AiMesh-compatible device on the other side of the house, and use one of your CAT5e lines to connect one of the LAN ports on your current router to the WAN port on the new device. Once the new node is configured to know your original router is the boss, your wifi devices will connect to whichever Asus device gives them a stronger signal, and in theory at least should transition seamlessly as you move through the house. You can also use the LAN ports on the new node to connect wired devices to your network in the other room, just as if you had connected a switch. (Of course you can still add a switch too if you need even more ports.) The new Asus device could be another RT-AC1900P router, or a RP-AC1900 repeater, or any other Asus product that supports AiMesh and has similar wireless specifications. While you would have to go through the steps to configure the new Asus device, nothing would change about how you configure your laptops, phones, etc. to connect to the network.
    If I can't get it set up the way beenalongtime is suggesting, I may end up doing this. Also, I may have to fish some line anyway, as there is no ethernet line run to where the TV is in the master bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    You should certainly try this, because you have all the stuff, and maybe it'll work and then you're done.
    Oh I'm trying, but not having any luck.
    If you read the manual I'll not disagree with you, but I thought it unlikely the wireless router was going to support assigning itself an external IP and offering DHCP on the same port. If it does, great! But even if it does, I don't think that's sufficient, because the router will be trying to reach its NATed addresses and the public internet through the same layer 2 domain, so he'll probably have to setup VLANs, which is a pain.
    I'm not even sure what all that means, so I'm way in over my head.

Here I thought the hard part was done because the CAT5e lines had been run to most locations I wanted, only to find out that's probably the easiest part of this mess, and I still have at least one more line to run!

I was very close to running CAT5 all over my house, out to my guest house and shop, out to my gate for a security camera...

Then I came to my senses and bought these things and stopped worrying about wires.

https://eero.com/

It’s not 1997. You don’t need wires.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post

The manual I read was on the switch, as I was specifically looking to find out if it had an uplink or shared port to worry about. Maybe a mistake, but I ASSumed that the way the first post read (or maybe I misread it), that he had the internet working through the router, but just had dead lines in area's of his house (not hooked up to anything, asking how to hook up). Several of the DIY firewalls, I have done, use one network card, however, if his wasn't receiving internet before, via wired, then maybe this one will only accept its IP from the fixed uplink port, rather then a regular port. (where others switches need an uplink port, to hook to another switch).
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Thanks again.I have the router set up for DHCP (according to the ASUS app that "controls" the router settings. I have Windows 10 on my laptop.
    I don't know what that means, sorry.

After work, I hooked the modem to the D-Link switch in port 1, and attached the ethernet cable that runs to the router in port 2. I've hooked all the other ethernet cables to other ports. I then went to one of the jacks in another room, and hooked up the laptop. I get message in Windows that there is an "Unidentified Network" "No Internet" for an ethernet connection. Trying to diagnose the connection gives me "Problems found, 'Ethernet' doesn't have a valid IP configuration"

I have no idea how set my router as a "gateway."

With everything hooked up that way the Wi-Fi still works, on both the 2.4G and 5G signals.

I'm stumped.
    Long work yesterday (I am unfortunately, essential), sorry.
    So on your wireless system, can you see the internet, or just your home network? (let's define, wifi works)

Long work yesterday (I am unfortunately, essential), sorry.
    So on your wireless system, can you see the internet, or just your home network? (let's define, wifi works)
    No worries, I'm considered "essential" also, so we stay home when possible, but often have to go out to get the job done. Today is a "paperwork" day so mostly from the home office.

Yes, with the router connected through the switch, I still have both a signal, and access to the internet, but none of the Ethernet lines appear to have the internet. Under "WAN Connection Type" the router is set to "DHCP."

Thanks again for trying to help. I really am clueless about this stuff.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Rather than start a brand new thread, I figured I'd just hijack this one:

What's a decent wireless router these days? I've really been wanting to tinker with various gizmos, like PiHoles, but my present router is so security-oriented, it doesn't let you change any settings outside of curated pre-sets. I don't mind spending some money, but I'm concerned that getting anything "advanced" will result in me buying something I can't screw with.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Rather than start a brand new thread, I figured I'd just hijack this one:

What's a decent wireless router these days? I've really been wanting to tinker with various gizmos, like PiHoles, but my present router is so security-oriented, it doesn't let you change any settings outside of curated pre-sets. I don't mind spending some money, but I'm concerned that getting anything "advanced" will result in me buying something I can't screw with.
    Settings being?

I looked at the page on github on piholes.

https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole

Looks like you would need to set the DNS manually to the pihole, instead of getting it from the ISP. FWIW my Nighhawk R7900P with the latest firmware has this ability, under Advanced, under Domain Name Server Address.

Would that not work?

User Tag List