Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home network help?

Home network help?

So I’m finally getting around to setting up a home network.

The previous owners of the house ran CAT5e lines to several spots throughout the house (8 lines total), but the coax line for the internet comes into a closet in corner of the house, and the CAT5e lines originate there. That’s where the modem (ARRIS TM1602A https://www.amazon.com/ARRlS-Touchst...tronics&sr=1-5) is located, I currently have one Ethernet cord plugged in that connects to a jack in a loft, that is somewhat centrally located in the house.

I have a Wi-Fi router (ASUS RT-AC1900P https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Dual-Ban...s%2C270&sr=1-1 ) in that area, because I’m trying to get the best coverage around the house. A closet in the corner of the house wasn’t going to get the done!

When things are running smooth I get 400+ Mbps download right next to the router, over the 5G signal, However, in some spots, far from the router, speeds get down around 80-100Mbps, and the signal can be very weak, and therefore a little unreliable. The 2.4G signal is strong throughout the house, but obviously much slower than 5G.

I’d like to keep the WiFi router where it is, but get the jacks in some of the remote corners activated. That would allow me to hook up my Fire Sticks, personal and work laptops, printer/fax/scanner, etc, to Ethernet connections.

I have an 8 port unmanaged switch (D-Link DGS-1008G https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-8-Port...s%2C281&sr=1-3 ), that I haven’t hooked up yet, because I know nothing about using one of those.

Can I simply run the Ethernet cable from the modem to the switch, and connect the Ethernet cables from switch out the jacks in various rooms? Some searching on the internet suggests in addition to the switch I might need another router in between the modem and the switch, but the tech who hooked up my internet, and one who came out to do a repair, seem to think I don’t need an additional router. An additional router is also less than ideal, as it’s more equipment to buy, but also the closet where the modem is only has one electrical outlet, but if I need a router between the modem and switch, I’d then need to power three devices. Also, the cabinet that houses that stuff won’t hold all three devices, so I’d have to mount some equipment to the wall outside the cabinet.

If I do need a router, any suggestions on what to get? Is there a better way to accomplish this? I’d rather not buy more gear, but if there is a better/easier way to do this I’m open to those suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You are unlikely to need a router. Ethernet cables limit is 100 meters in a run. You're unlikely to go over that length in a home. Every device connected will need an IP address. So long as your modem can issue enough that's unlikely to be a problem either.

Another option might be to get a wifi extender and place it out towards the area you are losing signal. They can cause a small bottleneck but we have one to get signal to step-son's room and haven't noticed undue bandwidth loss.

On an unmanaged switch it should also be pretty plug and play.

Site Supporter
    I'm sure someone smarter than I in networking will come along but until then I know enough about networking to be able to get by simple things.

I'm going to ASSume your wireless router is handling DHCP (assigning internal IP addresses.)
    You should be able to plug your unmanaged switch into a port on the wireless router then connect your ethernet jacks into the rest of the ports on the switch.

Check with the user manual on the wireless router to see if any specific port is designated as the UPLINK port (where you MUST plug another switch/router into.) Some have UPLINK ports, some do not.

There would be no reason to add another router. If you did need to add another, one of the routers would have to be designated to handle DHCP and the other would be designated as a bridge.
    "There are two ways to do most anything- right and again."

I run an engineering group at an ISP so here's a highly technical answer:

Jam that shit together and mess with it until it works.

Assuming your products have sane defaults:

Can I simply run the Ethernet cable from the modem to the switch, and connect the Ethernet cables from switch out the jacks in various rooms?
    No. You want to run the cable from your modem to your wifi router, then from the ethernet ports on your wifi router to the switch. Or run the ethernet directly from the ports on your router (if you only are serving 4 ports).

Some searching on the internet suggests in addition to the switch I might need another router in between the modem and the switch,
    You don't need another but you do need at least one router and at least one switch between your modem someone who wants to use it. Your wifi router contains one of each. Your switch contains only a switch.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    I run an engineering group at an ISP so here's a highly technical answer:

Jam that shit together and mess with it until it works.

Assuming your products have sane defaults:

No. You want to run the cable from your modem to your wifi router, then from the ethernet ports on your wifi router to the switch. Or run the ethernet directly from the ports on your router (if you only are serving 4 ports).

You don't need another but you do need at least one router and at least one switch between your modem someone who wants to use it. Your wifi router contains one of each. Your switch contains only a switch.
    Thanks for the laugh with that first part. So, if I understand you correctly a router needs to be between the modem I have, and the switch I have. So my problem is that means taking my current router from roughly the center of the house, to the back of a closet, in the back corner of the house.

Rather than get another separate router between the modem and switch, so I can leave the wifi router in it's current spot, would something like this work, instead of a router and the switch? D-Link DSR-250 https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Gigabi...5703501&sr=8-7

Also, keep in mind, when it comes to computer technology, I'm like Zoolander and Hansel trying to get the files from "in the computer."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQGX3J6DAGw

So which setup would be easier for me to "jam together until it works?"

Again, thanks to all for all the advice.

The amazon link in your post is a router and a switch (so it would be ‘another router’). That’s fine but if you drop a second router in your network you will have to configure stuff, as Mark7 referenced.

Can you run a cable (or multiple) back from your wifi router to the closet? If it were me I’d go to great lengths to avoid needing to spend $100 because that’s the way I’m wired.

Simple

Put your Dlink in the closet, next to the modem. According to the owners manual, all auto ports auto detect/switch to what is needed (uplink port). Put the wire from the modem to the Dlink and then run the wire to your wireless as well as the ones to the other rooms. In your configuration, make sure you have the Asus set as the gateway.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    In your configuration, make sure you have the Asus set as the gateway.
    Thanks. Quick question, since I'm very ignorant about this stuff: How do I set the ASUS router as the "gateway?"

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post

Can you run a cable (or multiple) back from your wifi router to the closet? If it were me I’d go to great lengths to avoid needing to spend $100 because that’s the way I’m wired.
    I'm not sure how hard it would be to run a cable back, although based on how the house is laid out, I'm guessing it wouldn't be easy. I'm a cheap bastard, so I'm loathe to spend extra money if I don't need to. So, I will consider running a new line, if I can't figure out how to set it up the way Benedictine suggested

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Thanks. Quick question, since I'm very ignorant about this stuff: How do I set the ASUS router as the "gateway?"
    Is your system set up for DHCP, or do you have fixed addresses? It will depend on your device. (Android is different from Windows, and I haven't messed with Firesticks, but it is in Networking, somewhere)
    I obtain my IP, from my DHCP server, on most of my computers. Things like my Print server, uses a fixed IP address, and I block it from internet access, via the firewall software. Then in a separate room, I installed an ad blocker/DNS server on a Raspberry PI, and direct some of my computers to go through that, while others typically go through your ISP, or are set to Google, OpenDNS, etc.
    I am going to disagree with TheRoland some, because the wires take communication both ways and a lot of what you need to do, can be done via software settings. Once you start adding other firewalls, (more DHCP servers, second layers of security, etc), you will need to start messing with subnet mask settings.
    Last edited by beenalongtime; 04-01-2020 at 01:22 AM.

User Tag List