Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any credible testing of .357 mag from a carbine?

Chopping Block's 10% ordinance gel test of the AE 158gr SPJ out of an 18 1/2" Marlin Carbine looks pretty darn good!

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I think I am going to try the AE 158 JSP. I should be able to load up some SWC 158's that will work fine for practice, woods use and STF. My M66 is currently sighted in for, and kept loaded with .38 Gold Dot 135gr +P. When not on my hip, it serves as one of the "Upstairs" pistols.
    LOL. It's like we're twins or something.

I'm using the AE 158 JSP, and 158 SWC for practice. My GP100 is the "upstairs pistol" and when in the house is also loaded with .38 Gold Dot 135gr +P. I usually put the AE load in it when we go out in the woods.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    LOL. It's like we're twins or something.

I'm using the AE 158 JSP, and 158 SWC for practice. My GP100 is the "upstairs pistol" and when in the house is also loaded with .38 Gold Dot 135gr +P. I usually put the AE load in it when we go out in the woods.

Not to mention we are both Longmire fans! So looking around the web I don't find anyone that has the AE's in stock. I even tried a search on ammoseek and turned up zilch. Not surprised really. I don't really need them right now anyway. The good old cast SWC has worked well for many years!

Not to mention we are both Longmire fans! So looking around the web I don't find anyone that has the AE's in stock. I even tried a search on ammoseek and turned up zilch. Not surprised really. I don't really need them right now anyway. The good old cast SWC has worked well for many years!
    I like the cut of your jib sir....

Yes. I have many hundreds of the 158 LSWC round loaded up. They are cheap. I think they wind up costing me .12 a round or so , not counting the case.

I figure the JSP load might be optimal, but the 158 LSWC load is certainly viable for deer and a-holes.

The Remington 180 grain JHP load also seems to have good results from both rifles and handguns, but I just looked on AmmoSeek and can't find any of that either.

The Barnes 140 grain all copper bullet also works good from both platforms. It's loaded by Barnes, Federal and Remington, but guess what, that's out of stock too.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I like the cut of your jib sir....

Yes. I have many hundreds of the 158 LSWC round loaded up. They are cheap. I think they wind up costing me .12 a round or so , not counting the case.

I figure the JSP load might be optimal, but the 158 LSWC load is certainly viable for deer and a-holes.

The Remington 180 grain JHP load also seems to have good results from both rifles and handguns, but I just looked on AmmoSeek and can't find any of that either.

The Barnes 140 grain all copper bullet also works good from both platforms. It's loaded by Barnes, Federal and Remington, but guess what, that's out of stock too.
    The feeling is mutual!

Anyway, I think I will hold out for the AE's. I have a "notify when in stock" in at Sportsmans Warehouse. I can get them shipped to the store for free. There is one 5 minutes from my house.

I purchased 500 158gr SWC Hi-Tech coated from a Vendor Sponsor over on Cast Boolits forum. I used to cast my own but I just don't have the time anymore. Got rid of all my casting gear. Anyway if these turn out just "meh" results I'll try the Missouri Bullet Co bullets you are using. Your pushing them at an estimated 1600 fps with no leading an I right?

The feeling is mutual!

Anyway, I think I will hold out for the AE's. I have a "notify when in stock" in at Sportsmans Warehouse. I can get them shipped to the store for free. There is one 5 minutes from my house.

I purchased 500 158gr SWC Hi-Tech coated from a Vendor Sponsor over on Cast Boolits forum. I used to cast my own but I just don't have the time anymore. Got rid of all my casting gear. Anyway if these turn out just "meh" results I'll try the Missouri Bullet Co bullets you are using. Your pushing them at an estimated 1600 fps with no leading an I right?
    Yessir. I think my velocity estimate is inline with what other folks have gotten with that recipe. I actually just cleaned the 1894c two nights ago, and had zero lead in the bore. What's interesting is that the Blue Dot load that was so dirty in my revolver is much cleaner in my 18.5" barrel, so it must be burning more efficiently.

My Marlin will eat those bullets as long as I keep the OAL at 1.590" or less. If I let it start creeping up, I'll get some clunky feeding.

Yessir. I think my velocity estimate is inline with what other folks have gotten with that recipe. I actually just cleaned the 1894c two nights ago, and had zero lead in the bore. What's interesting is that the Blue Dot load that was so dirty in my revolver is much cleaner in my 18.5" barrel, so it must be burning more efficiently.

My Marlin will eat those bullets as long as I keep the OAL at 1.590" or less. If I let it start creeping up, I'll get some clunky feeding.
    Good to know. I hope the story is the same with my bullets. Cleaner burn sounds reasonable with the long barrel.

I loaded some test rounds with Universal and seated the bullet to An OAL of 1.60. That's just about as far as I could go before the crimping groove had completely disappeared beneath the case mouth. My new Starline brass should be in tomorrow so I will load some with 240. I'll try various weights around the 14gr neighborhood and see if it likes any of those. I mounted a Nikon 4.5X14 scope on it yesterday for load testing. Should be interesting! I wonder if I can get a 1" group at 100yards? Might be pie in the sky with this type of rifle but you never know!

Good to know. I hope the story is the same with my bullets. Cleaner burn sounds reasonable with the long barrel.

I loaded some test rounds with Universal and seated the bullet to An OAL of 1.60. That's just about as far as I could go before the crimping groove had completely disappeared beneath the case mouth. My new Starline brass should be in tomorrow so I will load some with 240. I'll try various weights around the 14gr neighborhood and see if it likes any of those. I mounted a Nikon 4.5X14 scope on it yesterday for load testing. Should be interesting! I wonder if I can get a 1" group at 100yards? Might be pie in the sky with this type of rifle but you never know!
    I have a red dot on mine, and have shot some 50 yard groups in the 1.5" range, but to be honest I've not done any real disciplined position shooting, nor any accuracy load development for mine. I know it will never be as accurate as my .308 bolt gun, but I'm not sure at all what the limits are.

The groups I've had with the JSP service ammo, and the LSWC practice/backup ammo have all been "good enough." Hell you can't see much farther than 50 yards on my property anyway.

I mounted a Nikon 4.5X14 scope on it yesterday for load testing. Should be interesting! I wonder if I can get a 1" group at 100yards? Might be pie in the sky with this type of rifle but you never know!
    All dressed up and ready for some bench testing!

Name:  Marlin Scoped resized.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  58.3 KB

I never had much luck with any of the cast bullets I tried with my 1894. Mine is the 1894c 18.5" made around 2004 (pre Remington)
    My rifle always shot jacketed bullets quite well. My go to load was a 158gr HP-XTP, I switched to the FP-XTP after seeing the chopping blocks test where the HP one exploded and underpenetrated. I load this heavy with Lil'gun.

To try and find some cheaper loads I started experimenting.
    I tried a bunch of different kinds of cast and plated with quite a few different powders.
    One issue with the plated bullets was the lack of cannelure to crimp into. Even with a heavy roll crimp that was clearly cutting the plating I experienced bullet set back once the tube started getting fullish.
    I finally came up with a plated 158gr SWC load that came with a cannelure so I heavy roll crimped. It grouped around 2" at 50yds with Skinner peep sights and I though that was as good as it gets with the cheap stuff. I could also fully load the magazine tube without setback.
    I was never able to find a cast or swaged bullet that shot well.

Personally I think a relatively soft cast SWC driven at rifle like velocities so it deforms could be appropriate for self defense or deer hunting. At pistol velocities the bullet wont deform and will penetrate massively unnecessary amounts. I just dont buy the sharp edge cutting of the SWC shoulders as making much of a difference to wounding. I dont think a .357 LSWC fired at handgun velocities would be that effective.

The only animals I've shot with this rifle are Beavers in the spring that I harvested for Municipal bounty. It has claimed quite a few. Generally with my plated 158gr LSWC load at moderate (1250fps) velocities. The performance was about what youd expect shooting them with a .38. Nothing like hitting an animal with a fast hollowpoint.

User Tag List