Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any credible testing of .357 mag from a carbine?

The Hornady Leverevolution ammunition has a 140gr FTX bullet that’s designed for use in a rifle. Lucky gunner gel tested in their article on M1 carbine ballistics.
    Or just pick up a cheap American Eagle 158gr JSP they have been a staple of deer hunters for years and the gel tests I’ve seen for them are favorable.
    Neither the lever FTX or the JSP will expand well in a revolver. The idea of shooting the same ammo in your rifle and sidearm just doesn’t really pan out with a .357

Quote Originally Posted by diananike View Post
    The Hornady Leverevolution ammunition has a 140gr FTX bullet that’s designed for use in a rifle. Lucky gunner gel tested in their article on M1 carbine ballistics.
    Or just pick up a cheap American Eagle 158gr JSP they have been a staple of deer hunters for years and the gel tests I’ve seen for them are favorable.
    Neither the lever FTX or the JSP will expand well in a revolver. The idea of shooting the same ammo in your rifle and sidearm just doesn’t really pan out with a .357
    Except for the 140gr xtp, or swc

As a .357 lever fan, I went down the rabbit hole sometime back and came to the conclusion that 158 JSP punched well above its weight class out of 18-20" barrels. It's eyebrow-raising how much difference a rifle makes.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Except for the 140gr xtp, or swc
    What's been your experience with SWC feeding in your levers?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The 158 Grain American Eagle JSP load expands reasonably well out of a 4" tube in gel.

My recent production Marlin 1894c will eat Missouri Bullets 158 grain LSWC all day long.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyank33 View Post
    What's been your experience with SWC feeding in your levers?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ive used rimrock and Missouri swc and swc-wn in my .357 m92 and lasercaat and rimrock in my .45 colt m92 with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    All his new ones use clear.
    Thanks, 03.

Well, damn.

While I realize that most of the amateur testing available on the 'net rarely conforms to perfect laboratory standards, at least having it done with 10% ordnance gel eliminated a confounding factor (the use of an invalid test medium)...that was why, if I was going view any YouBoob content, I preferred/deferred to watching TCB's videos as well as ShootingTheBull410's.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

He at least acknowledges the difference and keeps his older ones on his channel

Well based on every ones response I canceled my order for 158gr XTP reloading bullets! LOL

I have 500 158gr SWC Hard cast & coated bullets I can play with for now. Work up a nice load that will work for both. Looks like I will have to think about what I want to do for a commercially loaded defense round. Maybe the AE JHPs will shoot close to the same POA/POI

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    The Chopping Block is about it. He does use ordnance gel but you can certainly argue the tests don't use a significant sample size since he typically only fires a couple rounds.

FWIW, I roll with the Federal/American Eagle 158 JSP in both my 4" GP100 and my 1894c. The GP100 is a woodsbumming gun, so deep is good. I do keep a stash of 125 Gold Sabres and some .38+P Gold Dots on hand in case I need to roll with it in an urban/suburban setting.
    I think I am going to try the AE 158 JSP. I should be able to load up some SWC 158's that will work fine for practice, woods use and STF. My M66 is currently sighted in for, and kept loaded with .38 Gold Dot 135gr +P. When not on my hip, it serves as one of the "Upstairs" pistols.

User Tag List