Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Any credible testing of .357 mag from a carbine?

Quote Originally Posted by diananike View Post
    I never had much luck with any of the cast bullets I tried with my 1894. Mine is the 1894c 18.5" made around 2004 (pre Remington)
    I was never able to find a cast or swaged bullet that shot well.

Personally I think a relatively soft cast S
    Did you try a cast bullet sized .359? I hear some Marlins like fat boolits.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Did you try a cast bullet sized .359? I hear some Marlins like fat boolits.
    No the cast and swaged bullets were all .358 if I remember correctly.
    I’d like to try some coated bullets at .359
    I do have a Lee mould that I think will be at .359 after coating
    If those don’t work then I’ll just stick with the one brand of plated that I hit on that worked.
    Most of the reloading project for that rifle was done almost a decade ago.
    There sure have been a lot of other wild projects in between!

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I like the cut of your jib sir....

Yes. I have many hundreds of the 158 LSWC round loaded up. They are cheap. I think they wind up costing me .12 a round or so , not counting the case.

I figure the JSP load might be optimal, but the 158 LSWC load is certainly viable for deer and a-holes.

The Remington 180 grain JHP load also seems to have good results from both rifles and handguns, but I just looked on AmmoSeek and can't find any of that either.

The Barnes 140 grain all copper bullet also works good from both platforms. It's loaded by Barnes, Federal and Remington, but guess what, that's out of stock too.
    Yeah the 140 X bullet is another good choice from everything I've seen reported, I've actually got couple boxes to try in my guns.

Chopping Block's 10% ordinance gel test of the AE 158gr SPJ out of an 18 1/2" Marlin Carbine looks pretty darn good!

Sure does.

I wish that he'd go back to the 10% ordnance gel as that'd really set his work off from the others.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Tried the 130gr jsp over 9gr unique in water jugs today. Went through 5, punched through the 6th on the edge but didn't penatrate and disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Tried the 130gr jsp over 9gr unique in water jugs today. Went through 5, punched through the 6th on the edge but didn't penatrate and disappeared.
    Bummer. Would have been nice to see the recovered projectile.

Bummer. Would have been nice to see the recovered projectile.
    Precision delta sells these as loaded .38 sp. Not sure why lol. Im not sure theyre expanding much at 1500fps.

I might have to find some 2400

I only got them because they were the cheapest jacketed bullets i could find. I had no expectations of expansion. I would have been fine with fmj.

I have taken a couple of hogs with the .357 158 XTP and was really impressed. Both shots were about 50 yards and the wounds were significant, deep, and almost instantly fatal. Both hogs were in the 150-200 lbs range and shot through the lungs. I really like the .357 in rifles and have three .357 rifles right now. I have a Marlin 1894 CP, Ruger M77/357 and a H&R Handi-Rifle Trapper. They are all accurate at reasonable ranges and are disproportionally powerful. The rifles are trim and handy in the field and ammo is light and compact for carry. They are a very nice, "on the down low", package.
    Last edited by ECVMatt; 04-30-2020 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    I have taken a couple of hogs with the .357 158 XTP and was really impressed. Both shots were about 50 yards and the wounds were significant, deep, and almost instantly fatal. Both hogs were in the 150-200 lbs range and shot through the lungs. I really like the .357 in rifles and have three .357 rifles right now. I have a Marlin 1894 CP, Ruger M77/357 and a H&R Handi-Rifle Trapper. They are all accurate at reasonable ranges and are disproportionally powerful. The rifles are trim and handy in the field and ammo is light and compact for carry. They are a very nice, "on the down low", package.
    Thanks for the info! Handloads with the 158gr FP/XTP and the 140gr XTP have been "one ragged hole" accurate at 50 yards for me in my Marlin 1984CS. Are you using the FP/XTP or the regular one? Factory load or handload? If handloaded what velocity?

The picture below is a 140gr XTP

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    Thanks for the info! Handloads with the 158gr FP/XTP and the 140gr XTP have been "one ragged hole" accurate at 50 yards for me in my Marlin 1984CS. Are you using the FP/XTP or the regular one? Factory load or handload? If handloaded what velocity?

The picture below is a 140gr XTP

User Tag List