Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G17 gen4 USPSA

Well since last time I've bought a dillon square deal b ready for 9mm, a pound of titegroup, 5k winchester small pistol primers, and I haven't decided on bullets yet. moly coated lead ok through a stock glock barrel?

Shot 3 stages tonight, finished 7 overall with 3 mikes, going to fast and not tracking sights (throwing 2nd shot of controlled pairs ie going way too fast) placed 3, 5 and 7 respectively.

stage 1 el presidente: 2A 8C 1D 1M Time: 8.36 Top Time:7.65 Missed the mike, meaning I don't recall how I threw it, was on the middle target and I'm fairly certain it was after the reload. Tried to burn it down coming through after the reload and got too froggy.

Stage 2: 26A 5C 2D Time: 41.13 Top Time: 27.66 This was a long stage with several arrays, I was happy with my shooting save the 2D's, movement and reloads need to improve.

Stage 3: 10A 4C 3D 2M Time 26.41 Top Time for production: 26.11 5 steel in this stage, all targets were ~20meters. This stage had several props and proved to be weirdly difficult for most.

I had good plans and didn't stutter through the stages except for shooting at a target twice (visible from two different points and was unsure if I had engaged like my plan should have been, better to be safe than sorry). Tonight my bane was reloads and throwing shots. Reloads I can work on at home, shots will just take range time.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

I've gotten mixed answers on moly coated - I think they'll also smoke a lot with Titegroup.

I use 124 gr. Berrry's over 4.2 gr Titegroup - averages 1085 fps out of my G34 - I think that's near the top range for 124 gr. bullets so I'd start a little lower and work up, but I like a little pop and 4.0gr just didn't feel right to me although I never chrono'd it so it could be in between my ears.

I've found that my Gen 4 likes a little hotter load, although once I put the 30274 ejector and white sound HRED in it got a lot less picky

Quote Originally Posted by Shokr21 View Post
    Shot 3 stages tonight, finished 7 overall with 3 mikes, going to fast and not tracking sights (throwing 2nd shot of controlled pairs ie going way too fast) placed 3, 5 and 7 respectively.
    (snip)
    I had good plans and didn't stutter through the stages except for shooting at a target twice (visible from two different points and was unsure if I had engaged like my plan should have been, better to be safe than sorry). Tonight my bane was reloads and throwing shots. Reloads I can work on at home, shots will just take range time.
    Just a comment from the peanut gallery: if you are consistently throwing the second shot of a controlled pair, then it probably isn't a controlled pair---you are probably shooting double-taps, and you don't know where the sights are when the second shot goes off.

Your times are really fast---but if you don't really know where your shots are going, and are relying on The Force for your hits (2 A-hits on El Presidente?) then that "fast" is misleading. I'm not saying go slower---I'm saying you need to see your sights better before you let off the shot.

Dryfire at home actually can help this, by the way.

Good call, definitely wrong terminology.

el presidente, I was trying to burn it down, definitely got out of my comfort zone speed wise.

ETA my 2 mikes on stage 3 were on swingers, thought I had good hits but obviously did not. Not an excuse just added information.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

User Tag List