Thread: Dumb question - shorter bullets of the same weight

Dumb question - shorter bullets of the same weight

I previously developed a load for another brand's 147gr bullet, which has a lube groove. I recently purchased a small amount of another brand's bullet of the same weight which lacks the lube groove, leading to a shorter OAL for the bullet itself. If I load the same powder charge and the same COAL, this should still remain safe, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I previously developed a load for another brand's 147gr bullet, which has a lube groove. I recently purchased a small amount of another brand's bullet of the same weight which lacks the lube groove, leading to a shorter OAL for the bullet itself. If I load the same powder charge and the same COAL, this should still remain safe, correct?
    No lube groove could mean more bearing surface and friction, either of which could raise pressures. My inclination is to to drop the charge a bit and work back up.

Hard to say without a lot more info, like what cartridge and load we're talking about.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    No lube groove could mean more bearing surface and friction, either of which could raise pressures. My inclination is to to drop the charge a bit and work back up.

Hard to say without a lot more info, like what cartridge and load we're talking about.

Okie John
    Current load is a 9mm 147gr Bayou FP coated, 1.135" COAL, 3.4gr Titegroup, mixed brass, Win SPP.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    Current load is a 9mm 147gr Bayou FP coated, 1.135" COAL, 3.4gr Titegroup, mixed brass, Win SPP.
    Thanks. Chances are you'll be OK, but I'd load two or three at 3.2, 3.3, and 3.4 grains, then test fire them next to your standard load to be on the safe side. The 9mm case doesn't leave much room for error, especially when you're working with mixed brass.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Thanks!

New/different component? Do another load work-up...

User Tag List