Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taller red dot mounts

I've ran the Knights skyscraper high mount for a while on a work gun. It was useful but I found I preferred my standard Larue high mount (lower 1/3) for most things. The high mount was nice for shooting with PPE and NODs but it wasn't comfortable for dedicated positional shooting on smaller targets. There's always a trade off....

Ive been running 1.93 and the Unity mount on personal rifles for a little over a year now. This is what ive found:

1. With solid fundamentals, the ability to run the gun is absolutely NOT compromised by changing your "cheek weld" to a "chin weld". Especially with how much we can tune our guns these days to mitigate recoil.

2. My "up drill" times are the same between a lower one third and one of the higher mounts on a red dot. At 15 yards, A zone hits are easy peasy in .30-.35 seconds from the buzzer.

3. The taller mounts do not hang up on gear or great any kind of protrusion that we should be worried about.

4. Its all personal preference and anatomically based. If you have a really short neck or shoot with the stock fully collapsed then perhaps a taller mount wont work for you.

5. There is WAY less neck and shoulder fatigue with the taller mounts since you're not straining to mount the gun.

I will be moving my Eotech/Aimpoint at work to a taller mount. Last week, on a gun call I went prone underneath a vehicle to get eyes on a vehicle. With a duty belt and ballistic vest, trying to get my eyes behind my EXPS at a standard lower 1/3rd cowitness was a pain in the dick.

This is not a fad, it is not a gucci method of running the gun. Its a SOLID option for people that have determined it works for them. It is not THE way, just A WAY.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Ive been running 1.93 and the Unity mount on personal rifles for a little over a year now. This is what ive found:

1. With solid fundamentals, the ability to run the gun is absolutely NOT compromised by changing your "cheek weld" to a "chin weld". Especially with how much we can tune our guns these days to mitigate recoil.

2. My "up drill" times are the same between a lower one third and one of the higher mounts on a red dot. At 15 yards, A zone hits are easy peasy in .30-.35 seconds from the buzzer.

3. The taller mounts do not hang up on gear or great any kind of protrusion that we should be worried about.

4. Its all personal preference and anatomically based. If you have a really short neck or shoot with the stock fully collapsed then perhaps a taller mount wont work for you.

5. There is WAY less neck and shoulder fatigue with the taller mounts since you're not straining to mount the gun.

I will be moving my Eotech/Aimpoint at work to a taller mount. Last week, on a gun call I went prone underneath a vehicle to get eyes on a vehicle. With a duty belt and ballistic vest, trying to get my eyes behind my EXPS at a standard lower 1/3rd cowitness was a pain in the dick.

This is not a fad, it is not a gucci method of running the gun. Its a SOLID option for people that have determined it works for them. It is not THE way, just A WAY.
    How do you like the Unity compared to 1.93? I'm going to try the 1.93 first, but if I like it I may also give the Unity a try on my other T2 to figure out what is "too high" and "just right" for me. I like the idea of a fold to center magnifier mount on the Unity as well.

Quote Originally Posted by js475 View Post
    How do you like the Unity compared to 1.93? I'm going to try the 1.93 first, but if I like it I may also give the Unity a try on my other T2 to figure out what is "too high" and "just right" for me. I like the idea of a fold to center magnifier mount on the Unity as well.
    Mission dictates gear.

I find the 1.93 to be "just right".

If i was running body armor and wanted a magnifier on there, the Unity will work REALLY well. For my fun rifles, im running a 1.93. Eventually, when I make the transition I will go to the Unity on the duty gun as it fills my departments need to allow me to have a cowitnessed rear iron sight.

Either will work fine, its just a matter of what you want out of it and what your mission is.

I use tall mounts (1.93) on all of my AR's …. scopes and red dots, alike.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I got my 1.93 Scalarworks in, and my initial impressions are very positive. I think I like it a bit more than the Scalarworks lower 1/3 I was using previously. The more upright head position is certainly nice. Losing that firm cheek weld may take a little while to get used to, but I can definitely see the benefits already. I'll probably have a better idea after doing some live fire drills. Unfortunately all the ranges around me are closed due to the Coronavirus.

The only potential downsides I can see are: 1) it negates my BUIS unless I want to unscrew the mount, and 2) maybe a bit extra height over bore to account for, but I doubt that will be very noticeable. I actually don't find it to be too uncomfortable in prone.

Time will tell, but I may end up switching my other lower 1/3 mounts to 1.93. I might give the Unity Fast or KAC tall mount a try too.

I got my 1.93 Scalarworks in, and my initial impressions are very positive. I think I like it a bit more than the Scalarworks lower 1/3 I was using previously. The more upright head position is certainly nice. Losing that firm cheek weld may take a little while to get used to, but I can definitely see the benefits already. I'll probably have a better idea after doing some live fire drills. Unfortunately all the ranges around me are closed due to the Coronavirus.

The only potential downsides I can see are: 1) it negates my BUIS unless I want to unscrew the mount, and 2) maybe a bit extra height over bore to account for, but I doubt that will be very noticeable. I actually don't find it to be too uncomfortable in prone.

Time will tell, but I may end up switching my other lower 1/3 mounts to 1.93. I might give the Unity Fast or KAC tall mount a try too.
    I like my Unity Fast Mount quite a bit. It solves your BUIS issue with the built in sights (I only use the rear) and gives you a great option for a magnifier if you use their matching magnifier mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Semi-necro post here but just wanted to follow up.

Has anyone used offset irons in tandem with the taller 1.93" mounts? I know there is a whole other thread about whether BUIS are even required these days and Frank Proctor doesn't run them so why should we, etc. etc. But assuming I need them there to calm my mind, any downside to throwing on some offset Magpul PROs when using the 1.93" red dot mount?

My brother just gave me his 1.93 Geissele T1 mount. I really like the position as I have a longish neck/face. but I don't like the fact that the BUIS aren't usable, and I do feel comfortable seeing the FSP at the bottom of the window. Also, as part of my equipment check, I typically raise the rear sight, and verify my dot is in the correct spot, in relation to my BUIS. Can't do it with this particular mount.

Quote Originally Posted by tlong17I View Post
    Semi-necro post here but just wanted to follow up.

Has anyone used offset irons in tandem with the taller 1.93" mounts? I know there is a whole other thread about whether BUIS are even required these days and Frank Proctor doesn't run them so why should we, etc. etc. But assuming I need them there to calm my mind, any downside to throwing on some offset Magpul PROs when using the 1.93" red dot mount?
    I have to have irons on my work rifles equipped with rds for policy. The plan was a geissele 1.93 with offset irons, but ended up going the LPVO route instead. My time with LPVO and offset irons has convinced me you won’t have issues with offset irons and rds, outside of the off chance they could snag on gear. I run an offset red dot now, and have my light at 1:00 and have never had snags, doubt small irons would either.

User Tag List