Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taller red dot mounts

Taller red dot mounts

I've been thinking about trying the Unity Fast or Scalarworks 1.93 height optic mounts. I don't run NODs, but I hear people tout the benefits of having a more upright head position. I almost never shoot prone for any extended length of time so that doesn't matter to me.

Are taller mounts if you're not running NODs just a gimmick, or are there some real benefits to consider?

I recently made the switch to the taller Scalarworks mounts on for my T1 and my Leupold mk6, because when I bring my rifle up, the top of my glasses would either be just below or the frame would slightly obscure the dot/reticle. I have found it more natural with the higher mount and the dot/reticle is centered now, but I also had to remove my BUIS from my 11.5" rifle...so it did negate the use of them since the Scalarworks are not exactly quick detach.

I do prefer taller mounts for a non-magnified optics and I even have a riser on my PCC. The LPV works slightly differently for me.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Tried an ADM 1.93 tall mount for an LPV, but just couldn't get used to it. Most likely cause the rifle range I was using would not allow for anything but seated or prone shooting. Tall mounts and prone just didn't work for me. Cheek weld was goofy as well for me. Since I've begun shooting at places that allow for off hand shooting carbines I'm contemplating trying again. I like the idea of a more upright head position, especially since I wear glasses and am constantly looking through the top rim as they slide down my face in the TX heat and sweat. More upright also means a bit more clearance for hearing protection... Was looking at the Unity FST, but then ChicomFlu v19 came around and other things have taken precedent.
    Last edited by TAZ; 04-01-2020 at 05:17 PM.

Taller red dot mounts

I personally prefer the taller mount...1.93 minimum. It seems to help me with CQB, and definitely benefits when wearing NODs and an Avon mask. As earlier stated, not the best for prone, but there’s not a whole light of gunfights in that position so I’ll tolerate it for zeroing.

Check out Jason Falla of Redback one. He has and runs these in his rifles with RDO. I think he has some info and a write up about it as well.

I may have to try one of these out then. I've also occasionally run into the issue of the top frame of my shooting glasses interfering with my view when shooting.

I'll probably start with a 1.93 and see how I like it. Have any of you compared a 1.93 to an even taller mount like a 2.26 or 2.33? At what point does it start becoming too tall for most applications?

Hi Risk Customer Services
    If you want to play around with the heights and not spend a ton and have an Aimpoint Comp M4 or PRO, SKD Tactical has a series of risers that work with the factory mounts. The QRP2 riser series. It goes all the way up to 2.26"

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    If you want to play around with the heights and not spend a ton and have an Aimpoint Comp M4 or PRO, SKD Tactical has a series of risers that work with the factory mounts. The QRP2 riser series. It goes all the way up to 2.26"
    I just have micros. I went ahead and ordered a Scalarworks 1.93 mount to try. Figured if I don't like it I can always just sell it.

Hi Risk Customer Services
    Quote Originally Posted by js475 View Post
    I just have micros. I went ahead and ordered a Scalarworks 1.93 mount to try. Figured if I don't like it I can always just sell it.
    Nice choice. The Scalarworks stuff is top notch.

I am currently using a 1.93" Geissele mount with a Razor HD Gen 2 on my personally owner rifle and it is astoundingly comfortable and less fatiguing in most modern shooting positions. Just know your hold overs and you will be fine.

My work rifle is a SBR with an old hand me down Aimpoint Comp M2. It is such a pain in the ass switching back to that with gear on and especially a mask.

User Tag List