Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Retail Therapy During Quarantine

I've been eyeing a game console. Obviously being over 60, I consulted my son. He said PS4 / Xbox is like Honda v. Toyota. I recall having a PS (2?) sometime in the distant past. I think it had a game called called Grand Turismo? Can't recall. I do remember it had a FPS fantasy game, Ratchet and Clank; that was a lot of fun. But this was years ago.

What's the collective wisdom on gaming consoles, particularly for racing, particularly that would support a decent wheel/pedal (meaning with force feedback) these days? Budget for the shebang no more than $400 ish.

TIA

Site Supporter
    Re the OP:

I am a big fan of Neoshell. It turns the rain/wind quite well and is so much more "breathable" than Goretex when exerting one's self. I have one by Marmot I picket up in 14 when the fabric first hit the market and it has held up quite well.

Re the Filson Jacket @395 retail. That jacket or something similar i.e. Outdoor Research Ascent Shell can be had cheaper with a better warranty. FWIW

Well, I pulled the lever on getting a Lee APP.

Of course, I then forgot to order the breech lock bullet sizer kit (just the ram and sizer) and Lee is out of ram primes. And hey I needed powder and bullets anyways...so over to Brownells for some powder, bullets, ram prime, bullet sizer, and hey let's throw in some J-Frame Hideout grips too...

And now I've basically shot my retail therapy wad...except, I still need some Lee .38 Special Dies...

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Go for it
    Okey dokey. I'll just post them as I come across them in my toolbox.

This is the first one, a nut driver I use for the front sight on my Glocks, $7.25. Tool steel, made in Germany:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:  driver.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  29.4 KB

Had a stripped G19 frame that never grew into a real pistol until my recent trade with a PF contributing member.

Now I have a functional G19 that has space for an RMR on top. I quite literally sold my last type 2 RMR last month, didn't really need it...

Just bought the 407CO to try, on sale for $200. That's the donut only reticle. Just so crazy it might work.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I've been eyeing a game console. Obviously being over 60, I consulted my son. He said PS4 / Xbox is like Honda v. Toyota. I recall having a PS (2?) sometime in the distant past. I think it had a game called called Grand Turismo? Can't recall. I do remember it had a FPS fantasy game, Ratchet and Clank; that was a lot of fun. But this was years ago.

What's the collective wisdom on gaming consoles, particularly for racing, particularly that would support a decent wheel/pedal (meaning with force feedback) these days? Budget for the shebang no more than $400 ish.

TIA
    For racing the XBox has the Forza which is vastly superior to anything put out by Gran Turismo these days - Forza is an Xbox exclusive, so that's how I would go.

But, I mean depends on what you really want to do. As you know, racing is as going fast as your budget allows. We can build you a force feedback setup that's boring, or a full blown multi-axis simulator...and I mean you work on simulators for a living...do you really think you should half-ass this?!

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    For racing the XBox has the Forza which is vastly superior to anything put out by Gran Turismo these days - Forza is an Xbox exclusive, so that's how I would go.

But, I mean depends on what you really want to do. As you know, racing is as going fast as your budget allows. We can build you a force feedback setup that's boring, or a full blown multi-axis simulator...and I mean you work on simulators for a living...do you really think you should half-ass this?!
    Yeah, I know lol. The one's I fly start around $10M...we sell them in the gift shop if you want one.

But seriously yeah I will check around and see what the p-car sim/track guys are using. There's talk of a league they are in also, but I don't know what details are for that.

Financial Security

We are fortunate that we are retired, as our careers would be putting us repeatedly into harm’s way, in this pandemic, if we were still active. So, our short-term income is not adversely affected. The follow-on effect of stock market troubles, however, will affect our buying power, longer-term, as harvesting some accumulated interest off the tops of my 457 and post-retirement version of deferred-retirement option plan (DROP) funds will probably not be a realistic option. While the balances in my funds will not lose value, the earnings rates are variable. Plus, my pension plan is still in a short-term COLA moratorium.

So, anything substantial, that I buy, for retail therapy, will be largely funded by trading something. The panic-buying of 9mm pistols has emptied the handgun displays at local gun shops, making some of my disused pistols more desirable.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Number two: I've been using this collection of polymer picks for general cleaning etc. since 2018. They seem pretty useful. $9.49:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:  picks.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  19.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Yeah, I know lol. The one's I fly start around $10M...we sell them in the gift shop if you want one.

But seriously yeah I will check around and see what the p-car sim/track guys are using. There's talk of a league they are in also, but I don't know what details are for that.
    If I were gonna guess the league is on iRacing or rFactor 2 - which are the two big ones and they are on PC as opposed to console.

User Tag List