Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Retail Therapy During Quarantine

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    This isn't retail therapy so much but it kind of fits. My wife is a karaoke nut and has friends in half a dozen local bands. She takes pics, helps with promo, and occasionally does some guest vocals. The quarantine has basically killed her social life and she's climbing the walls. Some of her musician friends (and her favorite karaoke host) have started streaming from home on facebook live and the like.

She now has a weekly budget for tipping people's streams, and related things. It's a way for us to continue to support our bands while all the venues are closed down.

I was in our locally owned hardware store last week, buying stuff for the FD, and the guy there mentioned that their a lot of their business is from my suburb's various city departments, and with all of that stuff mostly shut down they're hurting. I'm swearing off Lowes and Home Depot for the forseeable future.
    Yup, we have a local hardware chain called Elliot's. Awesome people, terrific service.

Not knocking the folks at Lowe's and Home Depot, but I always try and support a mom & pop shop when I can.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Yup, we have a local hardware chain called Elliot's. Awesome people, terrific service.

Not knocking the folks at Lowe's and Home Depot, but I always try and support a mom & pop shop when I can.
    Same. Always felt like you stood a better chance of finding the guy that’s been around the block a time or that knows exactly what you’re looking for even if you don’t at the local shops too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Site Supporter
    When you're working on an unusual project and need something but you're not even sure what it exactly is that you need, go to your local hardware store and go talk to the grumpy old guy in the back who is always drinking coffee. He'll know what you need.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    No offense to anyone who works at Lowes/HD/Menards, but I had a friend of mine who briefly worked for me get on at Lowes. Within a few months he was put in charge of the entire electrical section. I knew for a fact he knew jack squat about electrical.

As far as retail therapy, I've done the opposite. In the last week or so I've sold a bunch of parts and misc on Ebay, and not just "gun stuff". No offense to PF and other forums, but it's pretty nice to let people bid, print a shipping label, and stick it in your mailbox.

Got an email from Precision Reloading - Apparently they have a policy that to ship primers, powder, bullets, or primed brass to Illinois they want an FOID. That's a new one on me, these items are effectively unregulated in the state.

I've certainly had issues having ammo delivered to me here in Chi. Target Sports USA is the only vendor I've found who will accept my Texas CHL as proof of being a non-resident that qualifies for an FOID Exemption.

Brownells won't send me ammo, but Brownells delivered me a pound of powder, 550 bullets, and some primers last week without a single question. Anybody else run into this in IL before?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Got an email from Precision Reloading - Apparently they have a policy that to ship primers, powder, bullets, or primed brass to Illinois they want an FOID. That's a new one on me, these items are effectively unregulated in the state.

I've certainly had issues having ammo delivered to me here in Chi. Target Sports USA is the only vendor I've found who will accept my Texas CHL as proof of being a non-resident that qualifies for an FOID Exemption.

Brownells won't send me ammo, but Brownells delivered me a pound of powder, 550 bullets, and some primers last week without a single question. Anybody else run into this in IL before?
    Never run into that problem yet, although I bought most of my powder from brick and mortar places to avoid the hazmat fee until I realized Midway would occasionally drop the hazmat fee.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Grumble-grumble-grumble - Fucking USPS says, "We tried to deliver your package today, but no one was home."

Right...and there was not a notice on the door....

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've had USPS tracking show a package as delivered 48 hours before it actually was delivered. If FedEx and UPS would start taking letters in envelopes for $0.50, I can't think what USPS would remain good for.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

@RevolverRob Good call on the IG contact. Got a response from John G right away. Looking at about a year, maybe more maybe less, until my number is up.

Site Supporter

Furniture pricing

Just prior to the Covid-19 sh*t show, my wife decided to buy a house in Rock Springs, WY. Closing is 4/10. We need to furnish a dining room, living room, and master bedroom. There is one furniture store in Rock Springs. Salt Lake City is 180 miles west.

We would like to buy locally, but not over pay. What's a reasonable discount to ask under these circumstances? I know nothing about the furniture business. Thanks from the Big Empty.

User Tag List