Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Retail Therapy During Quarantine

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    16 lbs of powder arrived on my porch today. Damn near gave myself a hernia lifting it. My wife ask me what I was going to do with 16 lbs of powder. I told her the revolution needs powder.

I've been thinking about this. If everyone bought up all the ammo there should massive amounts of brass laying around pretty soon.
    I suspect most of that ammo won't get shot for years, if not decades.

Chris

Anyone have a lead on cheap kettlebells? I have a 1 pood/16kg/35lb one that's a little light for most things, looking to go to at least 24kg. It wasn't really an issue before, since it was just for presses and swings at home, the gym has up to 90lbs, but now...

And if I may bitch about completely unimportant things for a moment, who the hell uses a 2lb kettlebell? You can find a ton of tiny ones on Amazon. Seriously, what arthritic geriatric grandma is getting ready for the Crossfit games and really needs her pink vinyl coated 1.5kg bell?

I would say therapy/rehab, but I can't see any instance where a dumbbell wouldn't make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Perfect. Now when my wife asks me about the amount of reloading supplies purchased and can just say, “Hey, I didn’t buy sixteen pounds of powder in one go, like Borderland on P-F.”
    You load sixteen pounds, what do you get...... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post

I buy most of my books on Kindle now. Using a Kindle in lieu of TP is like trying to figure out the 3 Shells in Demolition Man.

Chris
    That made me legit smile.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Perfect. Now when my wife asks me about the amount of reloading supplies purchased and can just say, “Hey, I didn’t buy sixteen pounds of powder in one go, like Borderland on P-F.”
    No problem. I don't mind being an example of someone doing something irrational. I just looked and I actually bought 20 lbs. I probably would have been fine with 12 lbs.

Around 2008 I started reloading metallic cartridges. I bought a few lbs of different powders to see what worked. When I went to buy more it was gone. Same with primers. That situation lasted for 2 years. I was constantly looking for powder and primers. Every time someone would get a small shipment they had people on waiting lists and it would be sold before it was ever put on the shelves. When it finally became available again the prices were pretty high. Suppliers/Dealers figured out they could sell powder in 1 lb containers and mark it up 30% so that was all that was available even after it showed up again.

I don't think we'll see prices for ammo and components ever drop again to 2019 levels so I just made a volume buy while the prices were low. Some people have 10K rounds stacked in their garage, I just have a lot of powder.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-01-2020 at 08:29 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Anyone have a lead on cheap kettlebells? I have a 1 pood/16kg/35lb one that's a little light for most things, looking to go to at least 24kg. It wasn't really an issue before, since it was just for presses and swings at home, the gym has up to 90lbs, but now...

And if I may bitch about completely unimportant things for a moment, who the hell uses a 2lb kettlebell? You can find a ton of tiny ones on Amazon. Seriously, what arthritic geriatric grandma is getting ready for the Crossfit games and really needs her pink vinyl coated 1.5kg bell?

I would say therapy/rehab, but I can't see any instance where a dumbbell wouldn't make more sense.
    The thing I've found with ordering kettle bells is that the shipping is killer. I'm fortunate that Sorinex is about 4 miles from where I sit and I am able to pick them up there. Otherwise Facebook Marketplace has been a good source.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    The thing I've found with ordering kettle bells is that the shipping is killer. I'm fortunate that Sorinex is about 4 miles from where I sit and I am able to pick them up there. Otherwise Facebook Marketplace has been a good source.
    I have three...I purchased the 35 pounder on amazon. It was a higher end Cap-Barbell and is very nice.

The other two, 53 pounder and 71 pounder came from Rep Fitness which had the best price / quality ratio at the time.

Shipping does hurt some.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post

Good luck. I think many are turning to KBs in the lock down, so supply is scarce. I have several brands, but now just buy Diamond Pro from Walmart/Jet, which are a good value. But I see they are out of stock.

I'd buy a decent 24kg and not worry too much about the price, at this point.

In the meantime, if the 16kg is too light, you can do bottom up presses or high rep snatches. The bottom up press is about all I use the 16kg for. Great for the grip and for finding the 'groove' of the press.

Due to their announcement of a price increase April 2, aided and abetted by the “Big boy knife” thread I ordered that Terävä Skrama that’s been on my wish list for a while.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/produ...on-steel/30189

I opted for a sheathless version, figure my next bout of therapy will be finding a custom scabbard maker since this thing is nearly a sword.

Site Supporter

Cheap kettlebell

My Crossfit box "rented" out its KBs when it closed. I got a 44 for $95. My money will be refunded when it's returned. You might check with your local gyms.

User Tag List