Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Educate me on the K-38...

Educate me on the K-38...

Been looking at revolvers on GB, but all big bores. Stumbled over a nice looking model 15-4, currently at a silly low bid level, and started questioning my thought process. I don't really NEED a big bore, for my intended use, a .38 Special would be fine. A little confusion, the seller says it's a 1984 model, but form the tiny bit of research I've done so far, they went to the 15-5 in 1982. Side issue, though, what I'm really curious about is A) how do they shoot, and B) what's a reasonable value? From what I can see in the pics, it looks to be in excellent condition with very little, if any, finish wear. Any quirks that would warrant looking for something else? Thanks!

Dave

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
    Been looking at revolvers on GB, but all big bores. Stumbled over a nice looking model 15-4, currently at a silly low bid level, and started questioning my thought process. I don't really NEED a big bore, for my intended use, a .38 Special would be fine. A little confusion, the seller says it's a 1984 model, but form the tiny bit of research I've done so far, they went to the 15-5 in 1982. Side issue, though, what I'm really curious about is A) how do they shoot, and B) what's a reasonable value? From what I can see in the pics, it looks to be in excellent condition with very little, if any, finish wear. Any quirks that would warrant looking for something else? Thanks!

Dave
    So long as they're in decent mechanical shape, S&W Combat Masterpiece (the title for Model 15s) revolvers shoot astoundingly well. Of all the K-frame Smiths, the 15 is my favorite by far. I'd say that one in good appearance and mechanical shape is easily worth $500 and is likely higher than that. If the original box, papers and tools are there, then I'd put a 10-15% premium on it. The .38 Special is about the most useful revolver cartridge around for the average pistol shooter. It's accurate, easily reloaded, effective on medium game (two or four legged) and is a joy to own and shoot. I'd bid on that gun and try to get it.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    My guess is that the seller bought it in '84 and that it was old stock. M15s are sweet - I have an M67, which is the stainless version.

"K-38" usually refers to the longer-barreled versions that came with 6" and 8-3/8" barrels. IIRC, the 4" version was known as the "K-38 Combat Masterpiece" before S&W gave them model numbers.

ETA: @Wayne Dobbs beat me to it.

Site Supporter
    Double tap.

If there was a good condition Combat Masterpiece in front of me for $500 I'd buy it so fast it would make your head spin. Those are wonderful guns, great shooters, and a piece of history at this point.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I'll second as to the accuracy of Model 15s. My 15-3 is a fantastic gun.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Wayne nailed it.

If you're getting into Smiths, there are a couple of other things to know.

The first is that anything is possible with S&W. As far as dates of manufacture, features, dash numbers, etc., they routinely found bins of older parts and put them on frames that had been stamped with later model or dash numbers. You don't always see a clear delineation between one variant and the next like you do with pre- and post-64 Winchesters. Think of it more as an evolution where one variant morphs into the next and there are lots of "transitional" guns with both old and new features. I know a guy who collects fixed-sight K-frame 38s with three- and four-inch barrels. The part of his collection that I've seen contains several hundred different variations. He probably has that many more that I have not seen, and he acknowledges that he's nowhere near having all of them.

Then there's there's a nomenclature issue. S&W revolvers had names until 1957, at which point they got model numbers. Depending on when it was made and its barrel length, a K-frame 38 Special revolver with adjustable sights could have several different names/designations. Off the top of my head, I'd say Military & Police Target, K-38, Target Masterpiece, Combat Masterpiece, Model 14, and Model 15, but I probably missed a couple.

If you really want to go off the deep end, check out the Smith & Wesson forums.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Has it been said that the 4 inch Combat Masterpiece, Model 15, was the Air Force's general issue handgun for decades? These are fine revolvers but became less popular because many purchased the 4 inch Model 19 offered in .357 Mag.

I love my 15-4
    Name:  IMG_20200331_141228570_2.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  48.0 KB
    Mine is beat, but it shoots great.
    VZ grips, orange nail polish on front sight.
    I'm a hopeless K-frame addict. If you can swing it for $500, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swampyank33 View Post
    I love my 15-4
    Name:  IMG_20200331_141228570_2.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  48.0 KB
    Mine is beat, but it shoots great.
    VZ grips, orange nail polish on front sight.
    I'm a hopeless K-frame addict. If you can swing it for $500, I don't think you will be disappointed.
    Do those VZ grips have enough clearance to run Comp-II speedloaders?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List